1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Facebook the Next Google?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Bohol, Jan 18, 2008.

1. 501

501 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely not a threat, facebook is just a social networking site that is doing really good. Google PWNS! ;)

501, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  2. Sohan

Sohan Peon

Best Answers:
    Is an orange a threat to an apple?

Sohan, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  3. oninuva

oninuva Peon

Best Answers:
    Where do you get this information that almost everyone has facebook?

oninuva, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  4. azharcs

azharcs Peon

Best Answers:
    You guys don't get what social networking is all about. Today's generation does not go to Google, they use facebook . I will tell you why.

What facebook is doing today is enviable, what do today's generation want, they like music, so a normal user searches for a song in Google and buys it from the first website which is selling it. Today's gen listen's to a song on iLike in their FB profile, they share it with their friends, they see the reviews,then their friends like it, they talk about it, then they buy it. The same thing goes for lot of products.

What FB understand is the users psychology, people buy stuff which their friends buy, their friends recommend. That is what is happening in FB.

Now a lot of people are telling FB is not a search engine. True, it is not a search engine, it does not have to be. Social networking is more powerful than Search engines when it comes to advertisers.

I see a lot of teenagers today who rarely use google, the reason being they have facebook, if they want to buy a gift,they do it within their profile. They want to send money through Paypal to a friend, they do it within their profile.
    If not everything, lot of things can be done within their profiles. As i have seen to lot of people, their profile pages are becoming a pathway for them to use internet, i say this because they get everything they want within their profile.They have friends,music, games, information, Instant messaging,quiz and lot of other things. To them this is what is internet.

Google should be very afraid of Facebook and it is at this very moment hence they are launching their own FB killer called Open Social.

We are going to a new age , keyword searching is a thing of the past, today's searching is based upon what your friends recommend.

azharcs, Jan 19, 2008 IP
    Game Producer likes this.
  5. netpox

netpox Active Member

Best Answers:
    No. Facebook is totally a different field than Google. Google will never go away..facebook will fade after couple years when something new comes out.

netpox, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  6. ahuddy

ahuddy Peon

Best Answers:
    Facebook vs Myspace

Google vs Yahoo

Compare things that are alike please. This CBS reporter should be off the air. This is why I don't watch CBS. I hate their football broadcasters, and every commercial during the breaks of games is for a different wild west drama tv show. How many shows do they have that all have the same plot?

ahuddy, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  7. SnowBear

SnowBear Peon

Best Answers:
    That deserves a lol for sure

She sounds like she just discovered the internet yesterday

SnowBear, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  8. maverick123

maverick123 Peon

Best Answers:
    facebook is extensively used by spammers to market their products , google is totally a different ballgame altogether.

maverick123, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  9. decepti0n

decepti0n Peon

Best Answers:
    :/

Not everybody uses Facebook. They're basically a center for a lot of things, like music, apparently talking to your friends (I don't use it). If I want music, I ask people on IMs, or check Last.fm after hearing a song on the tv.

Just because people ask their friends what they should do doesn't mean much. Does your friend know the price for 2 adults and 2 children for a seven day holiday to the Bahamas? Doubt it, people may get a recommendation from their friends to go to the Bahamas, but they still use Google to search for prices/flights for some preliminary research before buying a ticket.

Just because ~50mil or whatever people use Facebook doesn't mean it'll displace Google, especially in search.

Also, Open Social ISN'T A FACEBOOK COMPETITOR. Check what it is before thinking Google are scared of Facebook in search.

Also, what new age? Searching has almost ALWAYS been on recommendations. You've never searched Google for random keywords to find new music.

decepti0n, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  10. sagenepal

sagenepal Banned

Best Answers:
    I think facebook is threated by google s they gave this statement.Anyway no comparison between google and facebook.
    I can show you a little threat from google to facebook.
    Google API has listed opensocial intheir code.google.com that means a lot of webmasters are going to use it for their benefit with a lot of feature than facebook is giving to it's users.
    Anyway,I think google is always on top then that of Facebook

sagenepal, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  11. Valve-Hosting

Valve-Hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Nah no way. Google is a huge company. Facebook is a singular social network.

Valve-Hosting, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  12. azharcs

azharcs Peon

Best Answers:

Since you don't use facebook, you have no right to condone or condemn it.
    Since you use IM or last.fm to search or review songs, that is what facebook users do. They do it within their profiles, I have a last.fm app installed on my profile which indexes all the songs i listen on my computer and posts it in my profile, so my friends can know which songs i listen to.

I never said Facebook will displace google, but it will surely eat into their market, Microsoft was no fool to invest 240 Million dollars in FB.It has potential, to change the ad market of today.

About Opensocial, i don't have to check, it is a API which lets users makes apps for social networking site, looks very similar to what facebook did. So Google is copying facebook and following it, I thought search giant had their own ideas and was innovative.Why google have to be afraid of facebook is, Facebook is a social networking site which can add search to it hundreds of features and contain their users to search inside the site. But Google cannot add the social features of Facebook into its search engine.

azharcs, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  13. Subesh

Subesh Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've heard talks of facebook developing its own search engine similar to google. Maybe that could somehow pose a threat but for now facebook posing a threat to google is like me posing a threat to Microsoft. :confused:..

Subesh, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  14. decepti0n

decepti0n Peon

Best Answers:
    @azharcs: Facebook has a long way to go to displace Google in advertising especially based on decisions they made such as Beacon

Open Social is just that, a set of apps, a framework if you will. It doesn't mean Google is trying to kill Facebook (it'd be smart for Facebook to join it). Facebook can add search and what, index a few million people's thoughts/rants/sex pictures? Fun. I think it'd be more informative to search in Google

decepti0n, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  15. TroyM

TroyM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think both are two different applications...
    I do not think Facebook will stay like this..

TroyM, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  16. Creative Content

Creative Content Banned

Best Answers:
    The entire premise behind this "competition" is flawed.

Creative Content, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  17. primeelite

primeelite Peon

Best Answers:
    I think if facebook would go ahead with their search engine it would end up making facebook fail. Sometimes its better to just improve somewhat on what you have but if you have a winner why change it up. Most people getting on facebook are getting on to share pictures and network with friends not to search. Also I think myspace will end up knocking off facebook because facebook is trying to do too much now and it was not set up to handle the amount of spam and messages people are sending around now and there are way too many applications going around on there it is becoming very saturated

primeelite, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  18. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    Wikipedia started as wikipedia courtesy of the sweats of unpaid volunteers. Now it is expanding into a search platform.

Google started as search platform. Now it's investment is spreading out (e.g. Google Phone, Google Docs, Google Aps).

Facebook started as social networking with millions of solid followers. What's next for Facebook?

Bohol, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  19. DannyBly

DannyBly Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's a valid question. The scope of Facebook is tremendous. I think they are in the same league as Google, but I doubt they will ever come close to the influence that Google currently enjoys.

DannyBly, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  20. HuggyStudios

HuggyStudios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook will never be bigger then google, thats the most dumbest thing ive heard so far this year lol.

Google, is the power behind the net, google goes so does about 100 million peoples incomes from the net. Facebook goes 100 million teenagers cant post a comment on theyre friends profile...

See what i mean?

Google = Daddy of net

Facebook = Spam fest and somewhere for pedos to get kids.

HuggyStudios, Jan 20, 2008 IP