1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Facebook a threat to search engines?

Discussion in 'Google' started by qwestcommunications, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Excel 8

Excel 8 Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't think so, facebook is a threat to all social networking site but not in search engines best thing to do is work with facebook.

Excel 8, Jan 30, 2011 IP
  2. derrickschwan

derrickschwan Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think so facebook is not a search engine its a social networking site.

derrickschwan, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  3. MarketingBoss

MarketingBoss Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There is no way facebook will compete with Google in the near future as they are 2 very different types of sites. If Facebook changes there approach then maybe in coming years things will change.

MarketingBoss, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  4. Rian

Rian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with many statements here.

I think that Facebook will target on income, mainly ad income. I think that is expected from their shareholders.

Facebook, however, last year overtook Google in the US in terms of traffic, when you only take Google's search engine into consideration.

So, if Facebook should decide to lauch some internal search engine for their users, which will be easy to use and access, I think Google's search engine may find a real challenge.

But, as for all og Google's assets taken into consideration, no website, not even Facebook, will pose any risk or real competition.

Rian, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  5. Reliable-SeoServices

Reliable-SeoServices Peon

Best Answers:
    Facebook is good for searching friends and family but not to search millions of website to find useful information. It is only search engine which can bring the result from millions of website. So, SE is still going to be there.

Reliable-SeoServices, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  6. greencross

greencross Peon

Best Answers:
    I think facebook is now the most popular social media in the world and mos of the people used facebook:)

greencross, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  7. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its a threat to forums but not totally to search engines

Bohra, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  8. SEOveteran

SEOveteran Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say absolutely. Anytime you take away eyeballs from one website and put them on another, you are losing it. The internet is really a zero sum game in many aspects. Even if they aren't "searching" to find what they are looking for, they are not Googling it. This can be seen with stumbleupon, twitter, and Facebook like you mentioned.

SEOveteran, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  9. MayaLocke

MayaLocke Peon

Best Answers:
    Facebook was said to have surpassed Google in traffic, but I think if you are concerned with targeting people are going to look to the search engines to find something when they want to buy or need info - not facebook.

MayaLocke, Feb 1, 2011 IP
  10. ameerulislam10

ameerulislam10 Peon

Best Answers:
    Facebook is set to take over Google by April 2011. Look at this interesting article here http://fadi.el-eter.com/facebook-is-set-to-overtake-google-by-april-of-2011.html .
    Facebook is a big and the only threat for Google for now, they are threating the hit count competition only. Google is not loosing hits Facebook is gaining more. People are more growing in socializing than searching. However, ad revenue is being partly shared here, I said partly because facebook created more advertisers. advertisers who would never had advertised through adword. I set my self as an example (by the way I once tried adword) ..

ameerulislam10, Feb 1, 2011 IP
  11. no69_2007

no69_2007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes a little threat...

no69_2007, Feb 1, 2011 IP
  12. foupas

foupas Guest

Best Answers:
    well actually there is something like that

visit foupas.com and see what happens . so simple. a fact that google will always leed..

foupas, Feb 3, 2011 IP
  13. aliens787

aliens787 Peon

Best Answers:
    Facebook the Social Media Giant, unleashes an open graph search engine which brings results outside of its own platform. In other words when you go for a search in Facebook, the results of the search is no longer limited to Facebook pages, apps and profiles. With more than 400 million users, many experts believe that Facebook can easily be a convertible search engine.

aliens787, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  14. Steve Marino

Steve Marino Peon

Best Answers:
    But traffic does not equate to profits. Facebook may be the most visited site but it's revenue stream is nowhere near that of Google and it has a long, long way to go to catch up.

Steve Marino, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  15. Bagless

Bagless Active Member

Best Answers:
    That depends if people get fed up of talking to random people/posting random rubbish before they get fed up of searching for relevant information!

Bagless, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  16. rakesh.tcy

rakesh.tcy Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not a threat. Its a community where users communicate with each other. Its the media for strong relationship between each other.

rakesh.tcy, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  17. alodia

alodia Peon

Best Answers:
    As for me, Im so contented for FB to be just the way it is, the no.1 social network in the world. I can't imagine it to have a search engine.

alodia, Feb 10, 2011 IP
  18. jashanhoney

jashanhoney Peon

Best Answers:
    facebook is now having very good traffic so i think they will soon plan to have their own search engine :)

jashanhoney, Feb 10, 2011 IP
  19. ameerulislam10

ameerulislam10 Peon

Best Answers:
    Not impossible, But not easy at all. Look how Google is striving to give the best result possible but still not winning the fight completely.

ameerulislam10, Feb 10, 2011 IP
  20. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's not a threat because the search engines have real-time results and are using those results to help benefit them more - sure, Facebook is a growing brand, but, that doesn't make it a threat to the search engines - because so many people use the search engines already, and it would be hard for Facebook to take away a majority of the search users.

ForgottenCreature, Feb 10, 2011 IP