1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is enom hosting this bad?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by WingShot, Feb 3, 2011.

I put a client's wordpress website on enom's web hosting: Linux, 20 GB Storage, 200 GB Bandwidth, Access, 50 Email Accounts. And the site goes down at least twice a day, every day, for 5 to 30 minutes with this database error: could not connect to server Too many connections

The website receives 20 visitors a day, we're talking super low volume. There's other websites on the server that are just consuming too many database connections.

Has enom turned into a bulk bad hoster? Or is this unusual for enom? I called tech support twice, who explained there's nothing they can do, that it would take someone on the development team to decide whether the server has too much activity on it. I'm starting to wonder, is this really worth working through or should I just go find another hoster.

WingShot, Feb 3, 2011 IP
  2. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I remember correctly Enom is one of the hosting companies that have a concurrent connection limit for a domain. It's not necessarily that the server is overloaded, it's just that the web site will have reached it's concurrent connections limit. You have to hunt for this information as it's hidden away in some document.

The number of visitors per day will only play a part in this so you can't say that only 20 visitors shouldn't reach that limit. A page with lots of images or included files may produce lots of concurrent connections from a single visitor, and it may only take 1 or 2 actual concurrent visitors to reach the web sites concurrent connection limit.

Don't shoot the messenger - only telling you what I think.

Probably best to find another host - but check what/whether they set-up concurrent connection limits.

RonBrown, Feb 3, 2011 IP
  3. elicitservers

elicitservers Peon

Best Answers:
    Enom provides hosting services? I didn't know this! In this regard this just reminds me of GoDaddy providing hosting, seems that it is not their best practices. In my experience it's been best to divide domain registration/hosting with 2 separate providers, since a domain provider (eNom) specializes in domains, and a hosting provider does just that, hosting.

Too many connections sounds just like that, there's some database queries causing it to go over the limit of concurrent connections to the MySQL server, is this a high traffic site, or how many concurrent users are usually on the site? Depending, you should be able to just switch providers to solve the issue. Or you could try optimizing your scripts to minimize the number of database queries it does, and you may be able to squeeze some extra concurrent visitors with your current provider/service.

Also would help to know what kind of site this is..blog, forum, etc..

elicitservers, Feb 3, 2011 IP
  4. slackhead

slackhead Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't think they did either. As said before it sounds like whoever is hosting your account has a overload problem. It just comes from too many people on a shared server. If you want I can recommend some companies, just PM me. Otherwise Godaddy is generally good although I've had the database issue with them due to overloading.

slackhead, Feb 3, 2011 IP
  5. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Enom provides hosting services now. Good times!

Generally speaking, domain registrars are terrible web hosts. That goes for Enom, GoDaddy, etc. It just isn't what they're in the business of doing. Great for domains; not so great for hosting. I HIGHLY suggest you move your client elsewhere.

WSWD, Feb 3, 2011 IP
  6. WingShot

WingShot Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right, Ron Brown. Enom tells me that my client's 20 visitor a day website is exceeding the simultaneous database connection limit. Hahaha, I can't believe it. And the 20 visitors are spread out fairly evenly, not hitting all at once, just a trickle randomly during the day. It's a wordpress site. I'd give it here but man, if 4 people visited, it would bring down the database. Haha, crazy. Stay away from enom's hosting.

WingShot, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  7. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's one of those things that are difficult to figure, but there you go. With an application like Wordpress when you start to use different plug-ins it can cause lots of connections to be made to a database when each page is accessed. You're right that 4 visitors shouldn't bring down a database, but what if the site had 4 simultaneous visitors and each page that was requested opened up 20 database connections each time...that would be the same as 80 database connections being made for just 4 visitors and 4 pages being opened at the same time. Even so, it would have been nicer of them to give you some figures (how many DB connections) and help you sort the problem rather than just switch you off.

We once had a customer with a very badly written PHP app (not Wordpress, a custom application) that opened something like 124 databases connections for EACH PAGE. We we're gobsmacked when we found out and it explained why one of the MySQL servers slowed down occassionaly. Fortunately it wasn't a busy site.

All you can do is move on and find another host, but I'd also try to find out if there really is some issue with your application. If you can find a friendly host they'd work with you to help sort out what is causing the major problem (if there really is one) and might even be able to give advice on how to fix it.

RonBrown, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  8. WingShot

WingShot Peon

Best Answers:
    It's using the TinyMCE advanced plugin for admin editing (puts more toolbar, font, editing) functionality on the toolbar. That's it for plugins. I use a theme called jobpress. Interestingly, the admin is *not* logged into the backend when these errors occur.

What doesn't make sense to me is how the database could be down for 30 minutes. Let's say 4 visitors arrive simulatenously. Let's say 3 can view the page, 1 receives a database error. Imagine the traffic flow, per second, that would be required for the database errors to continue for 30 minutes. It doesn't make sense in light of this low traffic website.

I'm attempting to find other domains hosted on this particular server, so I can see if they go down as well during the same times, which would confirm my suspicion that this a database wide problem (whole database is become overloaded randomly during peak times). And remember, this is a website that receives 20 visitors a day, max, usually half that. Small business, small town website.

WingShot, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  9. WingShot

WingShot Peon

Best Answers:
    Enom's database stats for the entire server. 223 failed database connections per hour.

[​IMG]

WingShot, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  10. WebIntellects - Rob

WebIntellects - Rob Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think that the comparison will help you to get a clear picture of true companies suitable for your needs.

Good luck!

WebIntellects - Rob, Feb 10, 2011 IP
  11. WingShot

WingShot Peon

Best Answers:
    Now they say that maybe search engine spiders are overloading the site (for 10-30 minutes at a time). Haha...So to answer my original question: Is enom hosting this bad? Answer: YES. The basic problem is enom is just overloading it's servers with customers to squeeze more dollars from each server.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
    WingShot, Feb 10, 2011 IP
  12. ~ServerPoint~

~ServerPoint~ Banned

Best Answers:
    Think that it's high time to search for another, more stable, web hosting provider. read customer hosting reviews before to make any final decision.

~ServerPoint~, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  13. SiberForum

SiberForum Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, it is reputable company.. try to read customer hosting reviews on webhostingstuff!

SiberForum, Mar 11, 2011 IP