1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ still relevant?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by AFI, Apr 13, 2011.

I don't even bother to submit my sites to DMOZ anymore and I still get great SERPs. I know it definitely can't HURT if you are in DMOZ, but does it really help that much anymore? I think it's an outdated concept.

AFI, Apr 13, 2011 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent :).

We're a directory, not a free SERPS enhancement machine but it's hard to get that message across to many people. If more would believe you, perhaps the amount of spam and enmity that we receive might reduce.

(Fat chance!)

jimnoble, Apr 13, 2011 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not all that much. Directories have been knocked down a notch or three in importance by search engines, in fact, google even stopped suggesting you even bother with directories (they removed that line from their help files).

While Google still does have it's DMOZ clone, good luck finding a link to it at google itself without searching... they even sometimes forget to even bother updating it.

Qryztufre, Apr 13, 2011 IP
  4. rain21

rain21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    its important, because its a reputed directory. But we can't say that its the best.

rain21, Apr 16, 2011 IP
  5. MasterDee

MasterDee Peon

Best Answers:
    well the traffic of Dmoz has gone down 60%

check google trends - type in dmoz and you can get an idea of the amount of traffic it's losing..

MasterDee, Jun 26, 2011 IP
  6. michelle002

michelle002 Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ Directory or ODP is a human managed directory that sends results or data to search engines. DMOZ directory data is now used by the majority of major search engines on the net and syndicated throughout many hundreds of websites. This fact alone makes DMOZ the most
    important submission you will ever make.

michelle002, Jun 29, 2011 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is actually VERY old information, which no longer holds true. AOL does not even use ODP data for it's search, and they own the directory!

Google uses a clone of the ODP, but they sometimes go a year or more before they update it, and they have also removed their suggestion that webmasters submit to it, showing that they no longer hold it on high like they once did.

Alexa uses it, but come on, they are flawed from the get-go, and their ranking system is easily manipulated... not to mention their toolbar is full of spyware, so not many use it other then webmasters trying to up their ranking.

Many of the other search engines that once used it, either no longer even exist, or no longer use it like they once did.

And as for it being a HUMAN edited directory, it has/had tens of thousands of bot listed pages... so *shrug* so much for even that!

Just FYI :D

Qryztufre, Jun 29, 2011 IP