1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ still alive?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Karolwf, Oct 22, 2011.

I tried to submit my site to DMOz - and no luck.

Karolwf, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  2. jenx67

jenx67 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have submitted to DMOZ four times since I"ve been blogging. I have the #1 spot on google for "Generation X Blog" - and still no DMOZ listing. It's very discouraging. I'm one of the only people blogging consistently about Generation X and they just absolutely will not list me. I tried again the other day to submit. I'm not holding my breath. Good luck!

jenx67, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  3. namnek

namnek Member

Best Answers:
    It could takes weeks or more, depending on the number of editors within your category... They also take pride of the quality on the submissions, which dictates the priority of who's content gets edited first.

namnek, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  4. patrick0001

patrick0001 Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is manage by volunteer. When thing goes to volunteer it is really depend on their free time, especially when each section owner receive thousand of submission per day.

It probably take couple of week, month or even take a year....or reject it. I advise go for alternative

patrick0001, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  5. elicitservers

elicitservers Peon

Best Answers:
    That's just it with DMOZ, submit it, and forget it should be the ideal procedure. This has been brought up countless amount of times, they seem to work at their own pace, and if you have valuable content I don't see any reason why they wouldn't list you once they come across your submission.

elicitservers, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  6. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt that it is still alive, hard found new website get indexed by them.

lifeplayer, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  7. kristenmorey111

kristenmorey111 Peon

Best Answers:
    I had try many times and at last succeeded. If you want to put your link there; then you must check out others link on it.
    I mean how they made description, title etc. They analyze websites manually so be patience.

kristenmorey111, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  8. scal25

scal25 Peon

Best Answers:
    there may be some requirements that you have not been fulfilled, maybe you can find out google

scal25, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  9. Sultan Khan

Sultan Khan Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is very slow but once your website listed in their directory its great!

Sultan Khan, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  10. wounded1987

wounded1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dmoz is dead like a frozen lake....any time wasted to submit to it is a waste! it doesn't even deserve to be a directory anymore because of how it works, it's ridiculous!

wounded1987, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  11. OSSEO

OSSEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should not waste your time on DMOZ, try to make quality back links from other authority and good page rank websites.

OSSEO, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  12. GrandRoyal

GrandRoyal Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is still alive but there are some rules that you should know to get your site approved.
    1. Your website should be at least 3 months old with regular content update.
    2. It should have unique information with some user value.
    3. Each category has a description which you have to read before submitting to that particular category for better chances of approval.

It might take nearly 3 to 4 months for a site to be approved, it all depends on how active the editor of the category is.

GrandRoyal, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  13. jenx67

jenx67 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I can't believe something that takes possibly a YEAR to get submitted to is given so much weight in terms of blog success and worthiness. I have a successful blog that has been featured in Huff Po, MSNBC, Washington Post (TWICE), the largest newspapers in the state where I live - and NO DMOZ listing for me = and I've been trying for two or three years. DMOZ is a waste of time.

jenx67, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  14. emily

emily Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't believe any directories are worth submitting the links... There are much better ways of getting backlinks.

emily, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  15. shanmarsh1

shanmarsh1 Peon

Best Answers:
    'm surprised that DMoz is still alive and people are considering it important. It was established late 90'ties with the idea that as yahoo

shanmarsh1, Oct 25, 2011 IP
  16. qclinks

qclinks Peon

Best Answers:
    The topic subject really made me laugh. :) Yeah, it is probably just as good as dead. Lol.

qclinks, Oct 25, 2011 IP
  17. Fruktkaka

Fruktkaka Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've been "waiting" six years for an update in the category I submitted to. So, well, while DMOZ itself perhaps isn't dead - some category editors are. I've managed to get by quite nicely anyway. ;)

Fruktkaka, Oct 25, 2011 IP
  18. sstevens

sstevens Member

Best Answers:
    I also have the same concern. For over 3 months now, I've been coming back to DMOZ to add my website but still I have no luck. I can't see the add to directory listing button or anything similar to that.

sstevens, Oct 25, 2011 IP
  19. domainnamesalez

domainnamesalez Peon

Best Answers:
    The best option is to just submit the site to DMOZ once and forget about it. If you are lucky you would be included...But no point in just submitting there multiple times..

domainnamesalez, Oct 25, 2011 IP
  20. muffin

muffin Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh I thought I am the only one having this problem, so this is a common issue. Is there anyway to check once they have listed u? Will there be email sent?

muffin, Oct 26, 2011 IP