1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ really worth the trouble?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by boaster, Dec 20, 2010.

I mean, think about it. You would spend years to try and get your site listed in DMOZ, only to receive some search engine ranking benefits and some minor traffic. Why not spend those years instead working on backlinks and SEO manually rather than focusing on trying to get into DMOZ?

boaster, Dec 20, 2010 IP
  2. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I spend but a few minutes if that to fill out the submission form. Is it worth it? For the little time I have invested, can't see how it wouldn't be.

CReed, Dec 20, 2010 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    CReed is correct.

If you are submitting to directories in general, then by all means submit to the ODP. You'll find that getting added has about the same chance as any other directory with a manual approval (which is pretty low in most cases). Whereas, if you are NOT submitting to directories, then no, don't bother with DMOZ, after all, it's just a directory and you are not submitting to them. ;) :D

Is it worth submitting? Sure is... but only if you are submitting to directories in general.

Qryztufre, Dec 20, 2010 IP
  4. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    There is nothing wrong with spending 3 minutes and with some luck being listed,
    but the question you should ask is, can you survive with out. The answer is: Yes.

Hey, try and see what happen.

;)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Dec 20, 2010 IP
  5. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How on earth do you spend more than a few minutes, unless you are repeatedly suggesting your site and to do that probably would mean getting a ban for spam.

Anonymously, Dec 20, 2010 IP
  6. coglethorpe

coglethorpe Peon

Best Answers:
    When I first submitted to DMOZ (years ago) I had to wait for months before they finally included my site. It's madding for some, because you have absolutely no control over when, or if one's site will be included. So my attitude became "submit and forget" and life was much better when they approved my second site.

coglethorpe, Dec 20, 2010 IP
  7. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    LOL, I remember time when it took 2 - 3 weeks for my sites to get listed.
    That is of course when editors would review 3 sites per day and not per year.

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  8. NeVerTrYFoRME

NeVerTrYFoRME Peon

Best Answers:
    now a days editors seems busy enough.

NeVerTrYFoRME, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  9. Techie Geek

Techie Geek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you spend "years" then you're not working to get listed, you;re working to improve your site so it's decent. You're basically saying you'd rather go "build links and do SEO" than improve your site.

Techie Geek, Dec 22, 2010 IP