1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is dmoz listing still available?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by jibreel, Jan 8, 2012.

I have been searching around on the forums and allot of people have been saying that it is rare to get listed on dmoz because it is dead and the only actual way to get listed is by getting editor or paying an editor to do it for you.
    Is this true? If so do we have any members on digitalpoint that are dmoz editors that would help list websites?
    Thank you

jibreel, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  2. HostCabin

HostCabin Peon

Best Answers:
    Dmoz very strict approve the volunteer editors, thus the submission queque is way too much for the active volunteers to approve them fast.

HostCabin, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  3. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Try offering an editor money and you will finish up with your site banned for ever and if the editor takes the money they will be banned too.

Read around on here and you will see that it can take up to several years for a review and that there is no real way to speed that up. I don't have anything to do with new applications for those wanting to be an editor, but I am sure that if you are perceived as wanting to join to get your site listed,then you are likely to be refuse d. Editors have to treat their own sites like their competitors and listing your own site adds a burden to ensure you list others too.

Submit and forget,nothing more you can do to speed up that review.

Anonymously, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  4. jibreel

jibreel Peon

Best Answers:
    Ahhh, several years? :/ i guess i might aswell list it in different directorys

jibreel, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

You should treat the ODP no differently then any other free directory. After all, that is exactly what it is.

If you are bothering with directories at all, then most certainly add the ODP to your list. If you feel that directories in general are a waste of time & internet space, then do not bother with the ODP either.

In the case of ALL directories, submit & forget.

When I first started a page, I submitted my site to the 'free directory list' that gets posted here on digital point now & again. Many of the directories on the list OKed the site within the week, some never did, some I had to wait for... some I'm still waiting for. Well, not waiting... as I stopped checking years ago. At any rate.... none of them are worth a second glance and 99.9% of the internet does not even know what a directory is, so they don't use them. Google has caught on, and they have lowered the importance of directories overall, and have even stopped using the ODP as they once did.

Heck, AOL's search does not even bother with the ODP anymore, and they own the darned thing! That should tell you it's worth (and the worth of directories in general).

A good niche directory is worthy of time, sometimes, no others really are anymore.

But to answer the original question, yes, you can still make it into the ODP, as to how or when, no one can answer that.

Qryztufre, Jan 9, 2012 IP
  6. stella_j

stella_j Peon

Best Answers:
    Who said Dmoz is dead its still live, but the fact is it take too much time to get approved because it is human edited open directory site.

stella_j, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  7. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Which makes it dead

joeventura, Jan 11, 2012 IP