1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ is active Now?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by santoshg, Jul 2, 2012.

1. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thankfully your guess is wrong:)

snooks, Aug 4, 2012 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. x0n

x0n Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ used to be a predominant thing years ago, but it's nothing anymore. Just a useless site taking up space on the internet lol

x0n, Aug 4, 2012 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Indeed, in fact, AOL cares so much about it, they even keep the blog updated! Mar 14th 2011 6:33PM was the last entry, certainly a show of hands from the staff on how much it's not abandoned ;)

But you are right, you can say whatever it is you wish, after all the front page of the ODP does say 5,066,513 sites - 96,160 editors - over 1,012,859 categories (even though that's been shown time & again to be little more then a misleading halftruth at best)

Qryztufre, Aug 5, 2012 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  4. Mega B

Mega B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It may still be active but alot of people dont use it these days as its a 'has been' i would much prefer to spend my valuable time promoting my sites in more productive ways rather than 'hoping' some day to be accepted on DMOZ.

Mega B, Aug 6, 2012 IP
  5. 2Good

2Good Peon

Best Answers:
    There are many good pr directories are out there, will anyone plz tell me why everyone is chasing dmoz ?

2Good, Aug 6, 2012 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    because if you google it, it shows that DMOZ is the best out there, the best of the best that is better than the rest.

However, those that pay special attention will notice the article you are reading is dated 6 or 7 years ago at best. Those that don't bother to pay that special attention repost the information as current on their own "up and coming SEO blog".... then the cycle continues.

DMOZ has had soooooo much hype in the past, the rest of the world is having a hard time keeping up with it's downfall.

Qryztufre, Aug 7, 2012 IP
  7. Norbertj

Norbertj Member

Best Answers:
    I actually gave up on Dmoz after also not getting any backlink...I think they're very choosy especially for new websites

Norbertj, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  8. goutsolution

goutsolution Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah, DMOZ it's hard to listen, i submitted it 3 years but it's still improved, i don't care about it again

goutsolution, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  9. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Then why write and tell us you don't care about it?

Read the sticky it will tell you how long to wait for a listing.

Anonymously, Aug 10, 2012 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    My guess would be that the three year wait is what did them in, and they are just voicing their opinion on the matter of an old and feeble directory that's still got a couple of editors holding on for dear life that claim that their precious is still in the prime of it's life...

It would have been just as easy to tell the person that the wait time is "sometime between now and never"... the wait time is kinda like the tootsie pop owl....

How long does it take to get listed in DMOZ?
    [​IMG]
    The world may never know!

Attached Files:

Qryztufre, Aug 11, 2012 IP
  11. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Pop the reference up for us will you, or just more hot twisted air?

Anonymously, Aug 11, 2012 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Sure thing there sparky, but honestly all ya had to do was scroll up. Sheesh, how lazy can ya get.

Qryztufre, Aug 14, 2012 IP
  13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Well sport, meant this which you failed to comment on

DMOZ ticks along fine, but this just sounds like you being bitter about not being accepted back as an editor.

Anonymously, Aug 15, 2012 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    And it sounds like you are still holding on for dear life...

Qryztufre, Aug 16, 2012 IP
  15. CafaMagician80

CafaMagician80 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It just takes forever. I see all kinds of websites in the directory, many in the wrong category, and yet they sometimes don't accept quality sites.

CafaMagician80, Aug 23, 2012 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Please do tell us what quality web sites have not been accepted.......or did you really mean not accepted in your timeframe? Because I know of no editors who tell site owners that their site has been rejected, but if you got one of them do post it here.

If you had read the sticky before posting, or even read a little on here, it would not take you long to know that DMOZ only has volunteer editors who work in their spare time and that editors on here constantly say that it can take from a few months to a few years, so the quality sites you talk of are probably still in the suggestions pool. You are more than welcome to volunteer your spare time to join the editing team and if you wish then you can use some of the pool sites as your resource and get some of them listed. But if you are not willing to use your spare time, don't come telling others how they should be spending their spare time. Did you even bother to offer an update for sites that you think were in the wrong category so an editor could review the site? Or do you just want to whine?

DMOZ exists for the benefit of end users not for site owners and it is a project run by hobbyists.

Anonymously, Aug 23, 2012 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    maybe http://www.shoemoney.com/ ?

Not in all cases... sometimes it's anything but for the end user and everything for the site owner.

Two cases, the one I listed above is banned from the ODP, not because it's bad for the end user, but rather due to the actions of the site owner breaking guidelines. Effectively keeping it from the end user completely.

And of course the other case is Topix, which has tens of thousands of listings in the directory to the benefit of the end user, as those thousands upon thousands of deeplinks break multiple rules, yet its not banned, it's given special treatment. Effectively putting it in the forefront for end users.

The ODP is full of double standards, and there is nothing that can change that, cept maybe a rewrite of the rules and taking a hammer to the minds of the editing population that think its OK to promote an editors site that breaks rules, yet punish submitted sites for breaking them.

And as for editors telling submitters that their site is not accepted, actually has been posted here a couple of times, and contact with submitters from editors is NOT against the guidelines, and can only help the end user assuming the editor is not seeking money (which happens as well) and is contacting a site owner that is willing to change their site to make it better for the end user.

Qryztufre, Aug 27, 2012 IP
  18. axon

axon Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes! DMOZ is active, but very strict for new account approval /listing. The link value for DMOZ is not same as few years back Search Engine considers its backlink but no effect for ranking. :(

axon, Aug 29, 2012 IP
  19. glacey

glacey Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Not sure thats the case as one of my sites I submitted had 55 pages of information for the end user and has not been accepted yet while an accepted site in the same category has 1 page pushing a product they sell. Whilst i accept i have only waited just over a year on this site (up to nearly three years on other sites with no luck) and so still could be accepted at some point i will not bother to submit any other site.

glacey, Aug 30, 2012 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    DMOZ does work for end users, but it is a hobbyist group and so we may not always get the best sites listed in the time scale our end users might like or even the editing team might like and certainly not in the time frame site owners would like. But DMOZ focus is not to worry about any value that adding a site might give to the site but evaluating for people who want to use categorised data for research.

And as you say it can take SEVERAL years for anyone to review a site, which is why you cannot say that your site has been rejected, if it meets our guidelines that it just has not been accepted yet. Editors have to volunteer to edit in that section and then volunteer to use suggestions as their resource. We do not have to edit and use suggestions at all, we can find our own material. So you are waiting for those conditions to happen. How good your site is will not speed up that process, what might is if you wanted to spend your spare time joining the editing teams, who are all volunteers working in their spare time. There is no bar to listing your own site (ask Qryztufre he listed his own site), just that you do no treat it any better than your competitors, treating it differently will get you removed. Take the editor entrance test, offer some sites and then instead of just whining that you have not been listed you can spend your spare time speeding the process up perhaps for yourself but certainly for others.

Anonymously, Aug 30, 2012 IP