1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ even worth it?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by BizPhil, Mar 20, 2010.

?

Is DMOZ worth it?

1. Yes

59.7%
  2. No

40.3%
  1. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    No it doesn't. DMOZ gives A back link.
    i haven't yet seen anyone say that being listed in DMOZ was responsible for any traffic referrals or a noticeable jump in the SERPS. Why? Because one link is not that powerful unless it were a permanent front page link from Google itself.

hmansfield, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  2. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    While the traffic is minimal, it is on target and converts; probably better than average (for one of my sites). depends on the category listed. I have other listings that see almost no traffic from dmoz; probably because of the topic.

CReed, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  3. Dillinger

Dillinger Peon

Best Answers:
    I had to wait for over a year. It's up to each individual category. each one (potentially) has an individual morerator indexer. These humans are a total waste of space sometimes. BUT they hold a key to high PR. They will rewriite your description, change your company name and even suggest that your address is wrong though you lived htre for 50 years ... they are so a-nal

Dillinger, Jun 17, 2010 IP
  4. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    WRONG. where do you get this rubbish from?

An editor named at the bottom of a category shows the limit of their editing permissions. They can edit in every category in the tree BELOW the level of their name. We have several hundred editors who can edit in EVERY category in the directory.

No editor has responsibility for one or more categories, that is not what the name indicates. I often edit in categories where my name does not appear and I often do not edit in categories where it does.

These total waste of space humans give up their spare time to try and build a directory for those who want to use it, we are really not interested in if adding a link will give any value to the link, only if we think it will be useful to those who want to use collated and categorised link lists for their surfing.

Anonymously, Jun 17, 2010 IP
  5. Dillinger

Dillinger Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah but I did say potentially. I also said sometimes ... if that is not you ... well done.

Dillinger, Jun 17, 2010 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'll remember that the next time I hear an editor say "_X_ is my category". I'll be able to point them to your post saying it's complete rubbish.

Are you now trolling the ODP or something? The guy certainly wasn't bashing the directory, yet here you are calling him out on something that I have always thought to me mostly right on. Most of the editors I've seen talking about the place refer to their cats as their own... yeah, yeah, they belong to the ODP and that's owned by AOL, and they have people above them... but come on, they are still their cats :rolleyes: Why you always gotta be so darned bitter?

I gotta say it again! No wonder you post Anonymously!!!

Qryztufre, Jun 17, 2010 IP
  7. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    No not even potentially. Every category has hundreds of editors and no editor can lay claim to any category, they can only say that they among others have the right to edit there.

#Q, please do, an editor has privileges to edit in certain categories there is absolutely no sense that a single editor 'owns' a category.

8. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    *boggle* You got OWNERSHIP out of "It's up to each individual category. each one (potentially) has an individual morerator indexer."

Would it have been better had he said:

It's up to each individual category, each one (potentially) could have an editor listed at the bottom of it that is in no way shape or form to be construed as ownership by said listed editor of the category"

morerator indexer == editor if I am not mistaken, not OWNER. And if you look at many categories in the ODP, they do in fact have editors listed at the bottom of them! And if you talk to many of those editors they will say "this is my cat" or "these are my cats"... but I am SURE you never would do that... no you simply HAVE to say "I have been blessed by the very gods to be allowed so graciously to editor within category _X_ by the love of all that is the ODP, because they are the owners and I am nothing but a lowly volunteer enjoying myself with my hobby." *rolls eyes*

ONLY ONE? Well, no, that would be silly! Only one listed? MOST CERTAINLY!!!!!!!! That is even implied in the guidelines and by the editors here that say chances get slim to get accepted to a category if an editor is already listed. It also stands to both reason and logic that if an editor is shown then if that is the ONLY editor that can edit that category, then there are hundreds of categories without editors, hence they can not be edited in.

You silly silly poster that claims to be an editor... certain things are implied (like you being a supposed editor without proof). But if you take the qoute you bashed at face value, then it's really a rather truthful statement, on many levels!

EDIT:

EMily in a recent ODP blog post (http://blog.dmoz.org/2010/03/01/exploring-dmoz-world-of-warcraft/) asks the question...

"What do you look for to determine whether a site meets the selection criteria for your category?" and did the editor in question say "MY CATEGORY, oh no my dearest emily, that category is owned by the ODP" I really don't think so... Was OWNERSHIP implied? *shrug* Was it implied that the editor was the ONLY one that could edit there? *shrug* Was it worth trolling over? You certainly seem to think so, yet I don't see you griping on the official blog that is saying YOUR rather then OUR when referring to an editors cats.

But is good to know that you have no categories! As that supports my statement about you NOT being an editor. You wont give a profile, and now you are claiming to not have any cats :D :D :D

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  9. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    OK well try this from the guidelines to become and editor
    http://www.dmoz.org/help/become.html

Please offer some reference to where an editor has stated that your chances are less if you apply to a category that already has an editor listed.

Please check the editors listed at the bottom of the following category, can you not count or is there only one? http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/? So which of those editors can say this is my category?

10. Staccs

Staccs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There is no reason not to submit.

Staccs, Jun 17, 2010 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    So you are saying there is no potential for an application being rejected because a category already has a listed editor based on the guidelines of the ODP? Interesting... You must be correct. That must also explain your stance on category ownership, as there simply has to be popular categories out there with dozens of LISTED editors. Right? I mean, according to the guidelines, it's a green light for such things!

I knew I should not have pointed to the guidleines, lol... when I am right, ya say I am wrong, when I'm wrong you still have to disagree ;)

But I did notice you stopped your "ownership" argument... whats the matter, afraid to argue with Emily?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  12. Wicked Webmaster

Wicked Webmaster Active Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Its only my opinion that Dmoz is poorly kept up with. Or maybe my sites are poor I dont know. I have 2 good looking commerce sites. One selling software and the other graphics and both submissions over a year ago were never added. I even took the time to read proper submission tactic and tried to ensure I did it right. I resubmitted 6 months ago and still nothing. i think Dmoz will fade as some sort of standard.

Wicked Webmaster, Jun 17, 2010 IP
  13. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It dosent matter how good the site is, if no editor has volunteered to look at site suggestions in that area, the wait can be lengthy. Not all editors use the suggestion pool. You need to remember that DMOZ does not provide a listing srvice and reviews or a site suggestion being included, is not guaranteed.

You have suggested the site and you can do nothing else.

snooks, Jun 18, 2010 IP
  14. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Did you bother to check the link I quoted with several editors listed? If you are going to argue please check the posts offered and read them.

I did ask you which of the editors listed could call that 'their' category and you did not look up the link and did not reply. But if you prefer you can tell me which of the editors listed here owns this category http://www.dmoz.org/Games/.

Anonymously, Jun 18, 2010 IP
  15. Y.Nelson

Y.Nelson Peon

Best Answers:
    My experience is that it is very difficult to get indexed by DMOZ but I WOULD waste my time trying. That being said, there are loads of other pretty good PR directories out there that will index you almost immediately.

Y.Nelson, Jun 18, 2010 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Again, its NOT A MATTER OF OWNERSHIP drag nabbit woman, why can't you get that through your head. The original post you quoted did not mention OWNERSHIP, it's obvious that no editor OWNS a category, it's all corperate... but if you ask an editor which categories are theirs, how many will actually tell you NONE? Emily, on the OFFICIAL BLOG of the ODP, even uses the terminology you are arguing against here. Are you saying that staff is wrong? Come on, get freaken REAL... stop trolling in order to increase you post count, as that is all you are doing. And as it's perfectly clear you are doing nothing BUT trolling...

Qryztufre, Jun 18, 2010 IP
  17. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Ask the right question and ask an editor in which cats s/he has privs and then you will get the right answer. What happened to those earlier comments about only having one editor listed in a category and that one could not apply for a category where there is already an answer. I will take the absence of comment as an apology. End of conversation.

Anonymously, Jun 18, 2010 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Are you a blithering idiot or just trolling? Yes, ask the right question and you'll get the right answer. For instance, "which cats are yours?" to which many editors will reply "_X_ is my cat." yet NOW we find out that in fact, that such an answer is WRONG!?!?!?! Even from the second to the last post in the official word from the ODP and AOL, it's changed! The terminology has changes, just like the usage of SERVICE, LISTING, QUEUE and any other number of things people have used for years which now are suddenly and without warning WRONG by any and all standards (even if those standards are within the rules or posted by AOL staff). Strange isn't it that editors refer to the cats they edit in as THEIRS but now, suddenly a supposed editor posting Anonymously is here to change the meaning of the usage that's been likely going on since the onset of the ODP itself? yeah, keep it up ODP, you are doing WONDERS! Three cheers to your nameless spokesperson!

Are you saying there is no possibilty of an application rejection based on there already being an editor? Are you saying it's NEVER ONCE been done? Funny, the original post you replied to said two key words you are overlooking, or heh CHANGED THE MEANING OF... those two words? SOMETIMES and POTENTIALLY. To which you replied that it was RUBBISH, and you are certainly standing by your word right?
    Nice way to get me to post again...

T.R.O.L.L. and here I have taken the bait, lol.

Qryztufre, Jun 18, 2010 IP
  19. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Generally, there's no problem with several editors having named permissions in the same category.

However, (just to satisfy any nitpickers) where one new editor has only just joined us in a category, we wouldn't normally join another newbie to the same one - because it wouldn't make sense to do so.

It would be really nice if the mods could keep this forum clear of folks who behave like squabbling point scoring schoolchildren. They are doing the forum and their own reputations no favours.

jimnoble, Jun 19, 2010 IP
  20. ThreeGuineaWatch

ThreeGuineaWatch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sure it's worth it. It's free. It's worth taking that roll of the dice if it is free.

Whether you'll derive much benefit from it is a separate question whose answer may differ from site to site. I see about 5 referrals per month in a competitive niche which, in my eyes, balances out with the 5 minutes it took me to submit. However, if I later sell the site the 'listed in DMOZ' factor might mean something to the buyer.

ThreeGuineaWatch, Jun 29, 2010 IP