1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Directory Business OVER!!!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by bhushna222, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Because its a (1) .info site, which is not going to do well unless you pour a lot of $$$ into it, (2) using a free template, so don't expect any quick success with it.

Ibn Juferi, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  2. Rod_Purnell

Rod_Purnell Peon

Best Answers:
    NO! The directory business is not over. I do believe though that general directories have probably hit a period of leveling off and that is why I'm taking this time to develop a directory in a niche I've always wanted to do.

What goes around always comes around sooner or later. Those who stand firm and continue to chase their passion will see a better day and the debate over directories will be over.

Rod_Purnell, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  3. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ohhhh-- now I get the point of the OP.:D

So far the practice has been --install a directory on a domain, announce it on DP and the patrons would do some paid submissions in order to encourage the directory owners.

Unfortunately- those patrons are now not coming and submitting and filling the Paypal accounts instantly.:rolleyes:

Of-course this has been done deliberately if I have to guess (the fact that Patrons are keeping away). I am happy that -there are no paid submitters to brand new directories that would discourage people like the OP to go for the quick few bucks.

I believe -- this was necessary to clean the market out of unscrupulous directory owners. Now - with no initial push/support/paid submissions for new directories- only SERIOUS webmasters would come into the industry- thus restoring the quality, sanctity of directories again.:cool:

jhnrang, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  4. choice

choice Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    then maybe your doing something wrong

cos its business as usual for me

choice, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  5. 010081

010081 Banned

Best Answers:
    how do you know directory are still not over.i bet peoples are dying to submit sites to directory till now.

010081, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  6. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:

hahahahhahahhahaa.

So I guess it has a few years left to retirement then right?

adnan, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  7. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    enough fizz in this old bottle to pop a few corks son.

DownUnder, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  8. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    The directory market is only over for those who do not have the skills to adjust to these changing times. So it is just like any other market, either you keep up or get left behind.

banless, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  9. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    absolutely correct!

I do not know why he is starting these kind of threads?

Freewebspace, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  10. Ernster

Ernster Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're just relying on directories as your income...then you have much bigger problems.

Ernster, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  11. jminscoe

jminscoe Peon

Best Answers:
    look at the one thing he has in common with each thread he has started or replied to its has his link inserted so he just trying to get links IMHO

jminscoe, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  12. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The directory will last as long as internet.

but I may say many low quality directories would disappear...

xc06, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  13. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:
    Probably true.

There's alot of these new directory scripts out there too now isn't it?

adnan, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  14. abhishekdaaga

abhishekdaaga Guest

Best Answers:
    I dont think the directory business is over.. it has great potential in future as far as we use it as directory and not for just manipulating the results of the search engines.. We need to keep up good rep with the google & to get that we need to have nice content & everything that moods up the big G

abhishekdaaga, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  15. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First thing you should do is get that keyboard of yours looked at. I think your SHIFT key is malfunctioning.

Second, a steep fall in business? I assume you are relatively new to the directory business. Expect some ups and downs early in your directories existence. See if things stabilize a bit more in 2 or 3 years, and then post back here. :p

EveryQuery, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  16. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    With an attitude like that, yes your directories are over.
    Count your losses, you shouldn't have put all your eggs in one basket.
    The answer:
    No, not all directories are going to die, people are so stupid to think that an entire industry is going to curl up and die.
    What will probably happen, is that a lot of smaller directories will close. People that run more than one or two directories will probably sell off most of theirs, as they will take more effort to run, with smaller returns.

bobby9101, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  17. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Hmm chili red :p

Mong, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  18. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    People Oh People. A New guy started a thread asking something and everyone showered reds on him and took him into red. Why ??? Because the thread title might distract some people from buying links from directories in your signature ? what else. So all you guys with xxxx posts on the forums know everything in the world and those who are new members and don't have xxxx posts are noobs and don't know anything right ??? and you must red him right ??? WRONG. Shame on you. :( All those here who red him are pure bastards, mentally retarded people who don't have any reason to exist on earth. They come on this forum just to MAKE QUICK BUCKS fooling and scamming people user the shade of SEO Advice.

And for the thread starter, The answer to your question is damn damn easy. Use your brain and commonsense, read around on the internet. You will know what is going on. Its not rocket science

aditya_sfs, Sep 30, 2007 IP
    uttoransen and mikey1090 like this.
  19. aussieone

aussieone Active Member

Best Answers:
    As someone looking from the outside in, i can agree with this.

If i stumple upon a directory and it looks like crap, i dont care how many links it has, i keep moving. In this web 2.0 type age you need to catch peoples eyes as well as inform them. Crappy HTML table based templates are history. 'Oooo Ahhhh' factor must be there.

aussieone, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  20. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm a regular (almost daily) directory submitter, both free and occasional paid. Much of the motivation has been the PR value of links. The traffic value is modest.

Speaking hypothetically, if (a big "if") Google should diminish the PR value of paid links, what are the remaining underlying values to the consumer that will keep the directory industry alive and well? This thread has had a lot of passionate comments along the lines of: "Of course the directory industry will stay alive!" But based on what market value to the consumer, if PR juice is reduced or minimized?

Jim4767, Sep 30, 2007 IP
    aditya_sfs likes this.