1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is contnet rewriting is ethical?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by googledaily.com, Sep 12, 2009.

1. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The issue here is not about reusing your own content but about using someone else's without permission.

YMC, Sep 29, 2009 IP
  2. AnniCanClick

AnniCanClick Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that it's better to explain the "value" of original content, --mainly because, content that is original, pays more. So absolutely, explain away to the client that original content is more valuable, I certainly do. If I can make more money, I will, period. But the scenario I'm referring to is: an altogether loyal client, who has previously ordered nothing but original work, suddenly requests re-writes. You either turn them down, and lose business with a quality client, or take it.

Now, not to get all hypocritical, and impose a double standard, but I do have a warning for people who accept the offer to do re-writes at a cheaper price, from a client who has previously ordered mainly original content. This client is out to make money, as you are; this is a business, not a picnic, where tea-party etiquette is required. If you for one instant say to the client, whether by action, or words, "I will supply you with low quality work for low pay" then you are immediately setting a bad precedent for yourself, and I can give you about an 80% guarantee, that the requests for re-writes will continue, while the requests for original content, plummet.

Unfortunately, you have to look at a bigger picture, and hypothesize what your relationship will look like in the future with this client, if you take the request, or if you don't. If it's an assignment that seems like it is more than likely going to dead-end with one piece, then who cares? If you have worked with the client for a lengthy span, and plan to continue doing so, then if you are presented with a request for re-written work, think of the future, the payoff vs. the risk, and make a decision.

AnniCanClick, Sep 30, 2009 IP
  3. Legendary11

Legendary11 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you get an article and just rephrase it, very unethical if you read 20 articles on the subject, watched a video on it and then wrote the article from your own words and thoughts then i would say that is ethical but at the end of day ethics are subjective. A bad person thinks what they are doing is good sometimes even when society thinks its bad... this is the law though and they dont care about what you think so give credit where it due but when a 500 word articles made up from 2 hours or research and your own thoughts i think the credit doesnt need to be given as the article is unlike all other articles.

Legendary11, Sep 30, 2009 IP