1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Canada a good place to live?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GlasgowRanger, Jan 12, 2006.

1. redundanthost

redundanthost Peon

Best Answers:

Thing is socialized medicine in canada is a whole lot different than walking into the E.R. or hospital here in the states. So much different. I prefer the way of medicine here in the states. I lived too long in socialized medicine. Would never go back.

redundanthost, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    And can't you get some kind of health insurance plan?

fryman, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  3. redundanthost

redundanthost Peon

Best Answers:

Thave private insurance there as well. You should calculate how much youll pay to get your private healthcare in canada. Astronomical

redundanthost, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  4. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    I visited Canada several times a few years ago, I never ate a bad meal anywhere, and I saw snow for the first time.

In a bar one night, I spent 33.00 for 2 pints and a diet coke- I think that was because I hadn't converted my money yet.

A carton of cigs was just over 50.00, and a tank of gas was 80.00. A bag of green grapes cost me over 6 bucks. I don't remember what the rent was, but a friend of mine had a little bitty efficiency and paid like 3 times what I paid for my apartment.

On the plus side: I never met a nicer bunch of people, and discovered Dominoes delivers beer *and* cigarettes along with your pizza.

flawebworks, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  5. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    send in the mxtherfucking beavers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dekker, Jan 14, 2006 IP
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It seems me that most of these guys that are posting about Canada being expensive have never lived in any other country or paid taxes in other countries.

Vancouver is not expensive by any international standards and most things are bargains if you compare the prices with New York, LA, Seattle, London, Paris, Hong Kong,...... but if you compare it with little city in middle America it can look expensive.

Vancouver weather is great, except few months of rain and the safety is not even comparable to any major US cities. You can walk in Vancouver day and night without being afraid for your safety. The taxes are higher in Canada but if you make any reasonable kind of money, you don't to worry about it since there is many ways to get around it and your total tax will equal US taxes. I think most people who complain about taxes are making under 50,000/year and what they are complaining about is couple of hundred dollars which is less than what they save in health insurance when you compare it to USA.

gworld, Jan 14, 2006 IP
  7. Crazy_Zap

Crazy_Zap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Fryman, if you're serious about moving here, then try asking a few members who live in Vancouver. I live just outside of Toronto and it is very different from living near Vancouver. The prices are different, the provincial government is different and even the climate is different. So, if you are planning to move to Vancouver, then you need to specifically be asking people from Vancouver about the cost of living, taxes, etc. It depends a lot on you too, though. Do you want to rent an apartment? Buy a house? Your expenses are going to be wildly different in those two cases.
    As for the medical coverage, you can get treatment from any doctor or any hospital for free. If the doctor sends you to the pharmacy to get meds, they are not covered, but the bright side is that they are less expensive here than in the US. Dentistry is also not covered.
    And, to give you an idea, I am self employed and pay 100% for my own additional health coverage here in Ontario. It costs me $350 monthly for the cadillac of health plans for myself, my wife and our daughter. Vancouver may be wildly different in price, or mildly different.
    For an American, who is choosing to live outside the US, you will probably find the people and culture in Canada most like what you are used to. There are subtle differences and maybe you'll come to embrace them.

Crazy_Zap, Jan 14, 2006 IP
  8. dsforsaken

dsforsaken Banned

Best Answers:
    awsome place to live, only thing you have to live with is the cold winters and the us dollar being higher lol

dsforsaken, Jan 14, 2006 IP
  9. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wonder if we would get different answers in the Summer?

dvduval, Jan 14, 2006 IP
  10. remember me?

remember me? Peon

Best Answers:
    its a really good place to live i have family over there and im moving over next summer i went this summer its not as expensive as people are saying on this forum clothing stores are alot cheaper like stiches and hollister as aposed to topshop and zara and food is less expensive than it is in the uk also people dont get shot there alot it depends where you go and also remember glasgow is the knife capital of the world or something like that so we have alot more stabbings and they have lesses shootings and again its where you stay and if u dont piss off anyone who has a gun lol

remember me?, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  11. cool_78

cool_78 Guest

Best Answers:
    I have a cousin there and it i really nice. People are friendlier and they don't have much problem with peace and order.

cool_78, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  12. m80cmp

m80cmp Active Member

Best Answers:
    I lived in Ontario for 2 years, great place & great people.Hot in the summer & cold in the winter.I would definatley recommend it to anyone who's thinking about going.

m80cmp, Aug 30, 2007 IP
  13. mark123456

mark123456 Peon

Best Answers:
    Canada is an awesome place to live

mark123456, Aug 31, 2007 IP
  14. mark123456

mark123456 Peon

Best Answers:
    Its non-violent, everyones polite, free healthcare and everybody loves us (i think)

mark123456, Aug 31, 2007 IP
  15. cashinwebsites

cashinwebsites Peon

Best Answers:
    Your laws are not more liberal.

cashinwebsites, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  16. 114211

114211 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wonder if you went there? nah it's too cold for me even though I live north already

114211, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  17. cadillacc

cadillacc Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm also in Canada and honestly, I can't complain. It's nice. I live between BC and AB. Very beautiful places.

cadillacc, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  18. ichigo

ichigo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think its one of the best city to live atm. Everything seems to be fine.

ichigo, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  19. samantha pia

samantha pia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    not that great if you're a moose or seal pup
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An unidentified hunter uses a pick-like tool as he prepares to kill a harp seal pup on the ice in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, near Prince Edward Island, Canada, during the annual baby harp seal hunt, authorized by the Canadian government, March 29, 2005. Hunters apply for licenses to take part in the hunt, seeking the skins of the seals. The government set a quota of 319,500 harp seal pups that can be killed in the annual event which goes on for a few weeks until the quota is met.

samantha pia, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  20. tom_steele

tom_steele Peon

Best Answers:
    Would it be difficult to retire in Vancouver? Would a retired U.S. person be eligible for the healthcare system?

tom_steele, Oct 4, 2011 IP