1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Canada a good place to live?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GlasgowRanger, Jan 12, 2006.

Im thinking of doing a bunk and living there in a few years, I fancy the lifestyle, see how it goes ya know? Nothing ventured-nothing gained

any suggestions on the best part to live and if they'll put up with my Scottish ass for long? :)

any advice would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

GlasgowRanger, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  2. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    If you have money Canada is a great place to live. I'm in North Vancouver and in 10 minutes I can be skiing or in 10 minutes I can be on a beach. It is very scenic. The only drawback to living in Canada is taxes and moronic politicians.

Roman, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  3. Gu4rdian

Gu4rdian Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do live in Canada and I will suggest Alberta (I'm in Quebec) or Ontario.

Alberta is the richest province, they have the lowest tax and most of the people are pro-active. About the same in Ontario but at a little lower scale (I heard people from Ontario are arrogant but I can't confirm or deny, just waht I heard).

As for Quebec, it could be a real good place to live but the taxes are way too high and the people are a bit xenophobic about the English language and what is not "made in Quebec".

The first two are English province, our is French.

Gu4rdian, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  4. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    I hear Canada has been #1 at being directly north of the United States for quite some time.

ServerUnion, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  5. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Don't forget that Canada kicked US butt in the only war they had, not that the result would be the same now, but it's still Canada 1 US 0. :):)

Roman, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  6. jamjv

jamjv Peon

Best Answers:
    Canada has less crime, higher taxes, and our governments/laws are more liberal.

I would not recommend moving to Quebec as that province will eventually become it's own country. It's just a question of when this will happen.

As for the guy that said he's heard people from Ontario are arrogant is just plain wrong. I've heard lot's of stuff about racisim coming out of Quebec but I don't label all Quebecors racist.

jamjv, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  7. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I heard Canada is cold :/

mdvaldosta, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  8. GlasgowRanger

GlasgowRanger Guest

Best Answers:
    :D well scotland aint exactly carribean climate mate, lol

GlasgowRanger, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  9. Gu4rdian

Gu4rdian Active Member

Best Answers:
    jamjv: AAs I said, it's what I heard. I don't really care about gossips and rumors, I've never had a real good conversation with someone from Ontario so I can't say if this particular (and hypothetical) person was arrogant or not.

Case by case, my friend, case by case.

EDIT: I would love to go to Scotland, love the accent, so sexy for a girl to talk like that ;)

10. NewBeing

NewBeing Guest

Best Answers:
    I spent a small amount of time working in Vancouver, I am originally from the UK and I actually found it a bit quiet compared to what I am use to and I think it would be a lot quieter than Glasgow. Climate wise, Vancouver is simular to the UK, something to do with being between the sea and the mountains, if you are into your outdoor sports especially snow sports then it is great because Whistler (one of the best resorts in the world) is just up the road. I can't tell you what the rest of Canada is like (cold probably) but I used to work with a girl from Toronto as she said it was more happening than Vancouver.

I would say, you only live once, give it a go, it may be the best thing you do in your life or if it is not for you and doesn't work out, you can always go back to Scotland at least you given it a go.

NewBeing, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  11. Gu4rdian

Gu4rdian Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, it's cold in Canada. I've seen -50 celsius in winter one time...

But we usually have like -35 or so.

12. itsme

itsme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was born and raised in Canada and just barely managed to escape, although not entirely... yet.

I suggest you stay put. Believe me, Europe and North America are like two different worlds.

Canada (Ontario, Toronto) is generally nice. It's cold but the people are polite and easy to get along with for the most part. The country is not quite as wealthy as the UK but it's still clean and relatively developed.

Try it out, although I would still stay in Europe.

itsme, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  13. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Why?? Is the cost of life expensive over there?

fryman, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  14. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Not so much, but if you don't have money then you have to earn it and taxes are a killer.

Roman, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  15. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Aren't there like a million ways of getting your taxes reduced as they do in the USA?

fryman, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  16. itsme

itsme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not life, HEATING! ;)

itsme, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  17. INV

INV Peon

Best Answers:
    GOOD:
    1. Great women, from every part of the world.
    2. Laws are much less strict compared to US
    3. I visited Montreal and its f*cking awesome! and here in Toronto its not too bad.

BAD STUFF:
    1. Cold as hell with the most random weather ever. After a day of 10 feet of snow it can be 25'C and vice-versa.
    2. Taxes are outrageous. Especially in Ontario.
    3. Free health-care crap which gets sucked from our huge taxes and doctors being useless and wanting you to come back so you swipe your card more so they get paid more by government.
    4. IT'S COLD! and its like a huge place and not enough people overall, which means its generally all hick towns looking places and farms if your not in big citys.

INV, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  18. PlanetAndrea

PlanetAndrea Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've stayed in BC two times for 3 weeks each time, and I completely fell in love with it there. I'd definently live there if possible. However, everything is SO damn expensive!

PlanetAndrea, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  19. Crazy_Zap

Crazy_Zap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, but the bastards STILL find ways to get you.

Example:
    A widget costs $800 in USA.
    One Canadian Dollar = $0.80 USD (roughly)
    You would expect that same widget to cost $1000 CAD in Canada, but it doesn't. It costs $1200-$1300.

This is especially true of electronics, although the prices have balanced out with US prices more recently.

They also get us with the "must have's" like cigarettes and alcohol and gasoline. When Katrina had just hit and the price of gas skyrocketed, we were paying approximately $4.30 USD/Gallon (if you do all the conversions of metric and currencies). Around half of the price of our gas is taxes. And, cigarettes are even worse.

I have a great accountant and she gets my income taxes as low as humanly possible, but she can't help me whenever I have to buy something. :mad:

<edit>
    After having said all that, I still like it here.
    </edit>

Crazy_Zap, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  20. ROAR

ROAR Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I dont live stateside today----but Canadians are the greatest resource we will ever have. It looks like we fucked them re:lumber==

Que sera- sera. I am not your blowing wind. I am the ______

TH

ps----hold me close up tony dancer .; lay me down ---it doesnt get ant better than this

ROAR, Jan 12, 2006 IP