1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Bing a real thread to Google? Bing Continues to Grow, has more traffic than twitte

Discussion in 'Bing' started by ReachConnectionSolutions, Jul 9, 2009.

Bing now appears to be a real competitor to the Google search monopoly. It has been over a month, and Bing passes Yahoo! the 2nd time to become the 2nd biggest Search Engine in the U.S. In June, Bing received 49.5 million unique visitors, and 220 million page views. Right now Bing has more traffic than Twitter, Digg, & CNN.

Full article here from Bing Continues to Grow - Bing Develop

and most recently it added bing features to hotmail

hotmail gets bing

Well, Google still is the king of search, but I am seeing a lot of news and coverage about Bing. Do you guys think Bing can become a contender after a month of development?

take in consideration that Bing has the following
    -cashback program
    -MSN messenger
    -windows live
    -twitter search results
    -facebook exclusive ad deals
    -coming upgrade of Windows 7
    -coming upgrade to IE 8
    -and windows mobile that is under development
    -100 million marketing budget

while google has
    -large market share
    -user search habit
    -adSense
    -blogger
    -youtube
    -chrome
    -firefox, safari, opera with google default search

2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Please note that, in both cases, passing Yahoo was a one day event only. Possibly due to a surge in advertising on that day. Bing then quickly fell to its rightful 3rd place position. All this is based on Microsoft's $100 million dollar advertising campaign. Once that goes away, how far will Bing fall? After all, it can't seem to maintain any lead over Yahoo which does no advertising at all.
    Breaking news. It's also been added to MSN.com and Microsoft.com.
    No. In 3-5 years, Bing will have a name change to something else, if it's still around at all for the following reasons:
    Bing has to pay people to use it.
    It relies on IMs available without it.
    It relies on dead web sites.
    It relies on something no one uses.
    It relies on its own investments to sustain itself.
    It relies on unrelated products.
    It relies on old news.
    It relies on vaporware.
    It relies on things that are going away soon.
    It will never touch Google's usage because
    Bing is already dead.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 9, 2009 IP
  3. PPAgent01

PPAgent01 Banned

Best Answers:
    Ok, Talk about microsoft getting bashed down with a JackHammer :p Good on you for that, but the thing is bing i think will soon enough generate enough buzz to develop some form of competition especially with Google on the rise with the Chrome OS :) So don't call it till the fat lady knocks Good Ol' Mr Gates down with a bottle on cherdene :p

PPAgent01, Jul 9, 2009 IP
  4. jonslack

jonslack Peon

Best Answers:
    Essentially Google and Microsoft are trying to take each other out for various reasons. It's become a very nasty war between the two sides. Hence Microsoft is bringing out Bing, and Google is bringing out Chrome OS. I personally don't believe that Chrome OS will succeed in beating Windows, Linux, or OS-X (look at the Chrome web browser and its marke share).
    Bing however, may have some limited success. I don't think it can realistically beat Google, but Yahoo is a realistic target. This would be a consolation prize for Microsoft, especially when you consider that Yahoo rejected a takeover last year.

jonslack, Jul 10, 2009 IP
  5. holdmoon

holdmoon Peon

Best Answers:
    i like the search engine war ,haha

holdmoon, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  6. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's too early to say. It's still behind Yahoo on my site's stats and only slightly better than what Live was. It's an improvement I guess but still way to early to talk about being a threat to Google.

qazu, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  7. sandeepdude

sandeepdude Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now,i will support Bing because my site is well ranked in bing than that of google...

sandeepdude, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  8. Pinpointcomm

Pinpointcomm Banned

Best Answers:
    Hahahaha just remember my friend, Google has a HUGE volume of traffic as compared to all other search engines ;) Just keep that in mind before you go all hands out for supporting Bing, who knows tomorrow Google might just crush Microsoft :p

Pinpointcomm, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  9. ReachConnectionSolutions

ReachConnectionSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    take a chill pill man. you used to be an ex Netscape employee or what? I think Bing is still has a far way to go, but it is not a piece of trash like the way you describe it.

this is a good point, it might give Yahoo! board of directors more reasons to seek a buyout from Microsoft. Seriously, Yahoo! is in really bad troubles, is closing down a lot of services, and revenue & morale is decreasing sharply.

google has about 89% ~ 90% of global search traffic. Bing has about 8% ~ 10% in America. But a point to consider is that majority of ad dollars in the Internet are mainly from the U.S. so it was logical that Bing is mainly focused on the U.S. launch right now.

but you bring a good point, this is just the beginning of the war. while google might ahead of the game right now, both sides has a vast reserves of resources and engineering talents.

10. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm. You're telling me to take a pill but YOU were the one who started the thread. Do you take exception to negative reactions? Are you a Microsoft employee?

Nor is it as great as you described it. If anything, Citigroup told its investors Bing's search results lack relevence.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  11. maverick80

maverick80 Peon

Best Answers:
    bing is not a threat to google.

maverick80, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  12. CrimsoniteX

CrimsoniteX Active Member

Best Answers:
    How can bing be a thread to google? :-P

CrimsoniteX, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  13. primeryder

primeryder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion it is still not as relevent as google. It still uses the regular search.msn engine and is slow to index. Untill it matches googles relvence I doubt they will be a serious threat.

primeryder, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  14. Chuckun

Chuckun Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's definitely too early to say whether Bing will make it big or not.

In response to the comments about the only reason Bing is even recognised as an SE is due to its advertising budget; Do you not think that Yahoo! and Google spent lots of money on their advertising when they initially set up? That's not a valid bash.

I won't be using Bing, that's all I know.

Oh and I agree with the fact it will change its name in a year or so to "MSSE" or something ridiculous.

Chuckun, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  15. rcj662

rcj662 Guest

Best Answers:
    I like the fact bing is doing well. We need more than one search engine so they compete against each other. No matter what they did with bing it has to be better than last one they had. Yahoo still has more traffic on alot of sites but i do not think they convert well.

rcj662, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  16. ksb2050

ksb2050 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Funny....I thought starting threads was the entire purpose of being on a forum, besides answering threads.....maybe I am mistaken. You did aggressively jump on him immediately without any issues.

I think Bing has a fairly decent chance. Sure Google may have favorites right now, but remember change is an important factor on the net. Sites overtake other sites all the time and it's no different with the big contenders. Whoever said Yahoo is pretty much dead is right, they have nothing. I don't even know anyone who uses it anymore. It's like Ask Jeeves, stagnantly waiting for the net to remember it. With the massive (and rather catchy) tv advertising that Microsoft is coming out with in the US they will see a huge boost in traffic - especially as the older generation looks at it. Look at it, it's easy to use, and it's bright and colorful! The point...don't cast Bing with the losing lot until you give it a good chance to show what it's got. We'll see who beats who in a year or so! ! ;)

ksb2050, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  17. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Yahoo has more search usage than Bing does, perhaps almost double Bing's. Since you feel Yahoo is dead, why are you giving Bing a chance?[/quote]With the massive (and rather catchy) tv advertising that Microsoft is coming out with in the US they will see a huge boost in traffic[/quote]This is true but that will end one day soon and, without that advertising, usage will naturally pull back. Since Bing usage is less than Yahoo's, what will happen then?

drhowarddrfine, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  18. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    People are more optimistic about Bing doing well than Yahoo, simply because it has cash rich backing that can see it through the rough times. It also has the people behind it who have been dragged into a war like situation by the leader and I do not think they are just going to take it, lying down! :rolleyes:

I presume we have a strong corporate battle taking shape in front of us and we,as the customers would be the beneficiary to get several good alternatives! :)

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  19. imw

imw Peon

Best Answers:
    You should also consider that "live search club" was changed to "club bing" so they get alot of there traffic from there.

imw, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  20. soniqhost.com

soniqhost.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Since microsoft owns both hotmail and bing its only nature that they would add bing to hotmail

soniqhost.com, Jul 11, 2009 IP