1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is being in dmoz.org very important?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Markas, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You mean like my first post in this where I answered the original post and where you followed with something completely unrelated to the importance of being in the dmoz.org?

The only triggers that went off in this thread was the editors of DMOZ coming n to counter everything I say, even when I say good things about the directory, such as my posts within this thread.

Seriously, start from the beginning of this thread and tell me just where it went off track, you may surprise yourself when you notice that it's on the post after my first one, ya know...your first reply.

Edit:
    Then look and see where it was turned into something about me ~ The first reply of another editor.

Now scroll through the first two pages of this thread and point to ANY editor that has posted here in relation to the first post. Then you want to reply to me saying that *I* have a problem with following a discussion? Sorry, but thus far, I am one of the few in this thread that has tried to maintain topicality. You certainly have not, in fact, you have even admitted that you have no clue about the topic at hand...yet you have posted several times. Now why is that?

Qryztufre, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  2. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Your post completely contradicted what you had said the day before. When people act in such an erratic way thread derailment to a discussion to of what a loony they are is a near certainty

nebuchadrezzar, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Only when it was taken at half value. The other half of course was not mentioned. Submit and Forget, which is the mantra of many-an-editor.

Though, within the confines of this thread does it matter? Does the fact I have said "forget to submit" in other threads take away from what I have said in the first post of this thread? Does saying that some how make what I said here wrong?

According to all of the editors it seemingly does, and if it does, then I am sorry. If there is nothing important about being in Dmoz.Org, then I guess that the several editors here should know what they are talking about.

Though, I must point out again, that time and time again, it is the editors of dmoz that are taking these threads off topic, as they have in this one. In fact, of the several editors in this thread only one of them has mentioned being in Dmoz as being important, and then only to say they had no clue.

Are you now willing to get this thread back on topic by talking about it's topic? If not, then tell me, who is in the wrong here, me for posting on topic and answering the question, or you, talking about me?

4. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure. One interesting thing was Rob Jones offer a while ago to delist sites of the self proclaimed experts here. There response was underwhelming to say the least. That for me spoke volumes.

5. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Though you yourself are unwilling to say that there is any importance... it is strange that it's importance must be pointed out by those with something against it, and that it's supporters are completely silent when it comes to actually coming out to give it any value whatsoever?

I for one have always said there has been some importance, though now-a-days it does seem that whenever I mention it, I'm told I am wrong by an editor. Strange that... editors that are unwilling to say that DMOZ is important.

6. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes your convoluted logic gives me the head spins. You seem to forget that people are not answerable to you, and that things are rarely black and white.

Since you are demanding an answer I had better start at the beginning.

My interest is in applied mathematics with a passing interest in search engine algorithms and associated with that is their use of ODP data. I think that the usefulness of the directory format is limited, and that geo-coding and other forms of tagging should be made available. I also think that the ODP has in the past made its data less useful by discouraging editors from using keywords.

I think that some people use directories, but the number is declining as search engine algorithms get better. There would be some "importance" attached to being listed in the directory but that is diminishing. If the ODP is to hang its hat on being solely a directory then it is doomed.

Search engines use the ODP to a certain extent. One example is how they derive descriptions from the ODP when otherwise they are not readily available. Yahoo has in the past has used the word leverage in association with the ODP's data.

It it is possible that some search engines use a concept like trustrank in which seed lists from certain sites are used as a starting point to determine the "trust" of each site. The idea that sites which are linked to trusted sites are given a high trust rank value, where as a sites linking to that site are given a lesser boost and so on. Google owns the patent for trust rank. There are other variants of this system using authority and expert sites. I think that is quite possible that the major search engines use this type of system. And it it likely that the ODP is included in the seed list (or equivalent).

Therefor I think that it is reasonable to conclude that there might be some degree of importance to being listed in the ODP.

However, I believe that there is a lot that the ODP could do to make its data much more useful, I understand that AOL is currently applying a surprising amount of resources towards improvements. But I am also somewhat of a skeptic and will believe it when I see it.

So my Dear Qryztufre rather than providing an categorical answer in the affirmative or negative as you seem to demand, I say to you unequivocally definitely that the answer is maybe. I trust this helps.

7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I was not wanting a black and white answer, all I wanted was for an editor to hint at there being some importance to the link. You have posted in this thread a total of 6 times, and twice you have given it NO importance. Several other editors have completely ignored the question or have refused to actually answer as well. How do you think that makes the directory look?

Whether you like it or not you ARE a spokesmen for the ODP by simply claiming to be an editor. It is clear to many that you are an editor, so what you say does reflect back onto to the project. When you and several other apparent editors all say there is no importance, what does that say about the directory?

So thank you for your "maybe" answer... it makes the directory look that much better, and makes this thread actually look like at least one editor actually likes DMOZ.

Though, now can I point out your previous posts?

In this one you say that me saying there is some importance is wrong. Yet, in your answer above, you are saying that the link could have importance. Am I still wrong, even though you now seemingly agree, or were you just trolling before?

I do tend to agree, and I do wish you among others would stop saying I do this, while you do it to me.

My answers have not changed, submit and forget, or submit to forget, I've said that for months...and its not different mind sets its two parts of the same. I have not flip-flopped in the slightest on that. Though sadly, some people can not seem to grasp there are two parts to that, and in post that was pointed to from me earlier is a prime example of that. If I felt that there was no importance whatsoever, then I'd fully support just the forget part, I'd never mention the submit part, and I certainly would not get upset when people get their sites removed for silly reasons. Though, as it stands, I can now officially add that, one can "forget to submit" because the only importance of being listed is a "maybe" or a "no" or "I don't know" depending on which editor one asks ~ heh, of course, those are three answers for the "submit and forget" as well ;)

Qryztufre, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wakarimashitta. :) Dear Revr-end. ;)

popotalk, Nov 26, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  9. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh no popo speaks , and makes me wonder what he actually said, engliz plz.

paidhosting, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  10. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Good lord Qryztufre, I give up. You bleat on about not getting posts that are on topic and when I answer your question all you do is wank on and on about what I said, what you said, what you think someone else might of not said and other general Qryzdrone white noise.

nebuchadrezzar, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  11. MrMitch

MrMitch Peon

Best Answers:
    Dmoz is definitely beneficial, but you could be retired before you get listed. There are quite a few people who have taken the time to become a Dmoz editor to fast track their own sites through, but don't count on being successful with your first application.

MrMitch, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    It's a discussion forum, just trying to keep up discussions.

Besides, it took you 6 posts to answer the original post, I answered it in my very first post... now tell me who was droning?

Yeah, I went on for over twice that many, but I'd have not needed too if I didn't have to defend the directory against editors saying it had no worth or posting personal attacks against me. ~ I originally didn't drone, I actually answered the question in the second post in the thread!

Though, thanks against for making it personal, and the nickname is cute, go on and keep calling me Qryzdrone. I'll start calling you nebutrollezzar, as that seems to fit you best. Can you go more then two posts with out making something personal? Can you hold a conversation like a normal human without trolling? Are all editors like you? According to this thread that certainly seems to be the case.

I'll be pointing to this thread for ages, as this is the thread that took editors 20 posts to say that being in dmoz MAY BE important (of course, that was just one out of four, the other three seemed to say there is no importance).

Qryztufre, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  13. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Errrr just a minute that's a different saying from the one you had the other day here
    One very clearly says
    FORGET TO SUBMIT

In other words you don't think the directory is worth bothering about.

Changed your mind since you filed that abuse report on an editor for doing his job and removing your site when it was broken?

Anonymously, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

*sigh*

Submit and forget or forget to submit

Is there is a difference? The wait time is about the same to get an unreviewed site looked at. And forgetting to submit in most cases matches it's acceptance rate. About the only way into the directory these days is to become an editor yourself and add your own site. Is that what you wanted to hear? Well, hows this, you've posted in this thread 5 times, I've posted in it several more times then that.

I said the directory has importance, you counter that with sticking to me saying forget to submit.

That says that you, as an editor, finds no importance in being listed.

Is that hard to agree that the directory has some importance and move on? Must you continuously banter on about me? The original post asked, and I have re-asked several times. Know what your answer is? "An ex-editor says Forget to Submit" yeah, that's giving importance.

And no, my mindset has not changed. I was quoted from before I was an editor that there are problems, and I've been quoted from the very beginning that I feel there is some value to the directory. Yes, there can be both.

Qryztufre, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  15. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Another spat, Q. Is that how you felt when you left the directory and when you filed that abuse report?

Sorry but forgetting to submit means you hold no value in it.

For me, I care nothing about any of it, I try to help build a directory that helps the average surfer not the sites we list, if it helps the sites them fine, if not fine.

Anonymously, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  16. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    It does have importance. The question is, to whom, and for what purpose?

For seo/pr/amount of traffic, no, it has little or no importance.

For the web surfers who do happen to use it, for search engines and other directories looking for new sites, or for the people who volunteer their time to build it, or site owners who have the ability to suggest their site at no cost, it has importance.

Pretty simple, honest, uncomplicated statements in my view.

Most of the issues that concern webmasters are Google issues, not ODP issues.

crowbar, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Actually that wasn't the question... but that certainly is a good question to ask :D

Pretty simple, honest, uncomplicated statements in my view
    as well... which I gave in the very first reply in this thread:

There are several factors that can sway such an answer, and the better majority of these factors have been discussed in similar threads to this one.

The answer can also seem to change based on who you ask, as some feel it is completely worthless, others of course think it's the holy grail of links. Most of course fall some place in the middle. In the end though, it' IS a link, and any link has it's value. It's certainly worth the few moments it takes to submit, though its also important to know at least the basics of their guidelines before doing so...​

Sadly it had to carry on and on for several more posts before an editor could/would say that. So I do thank you for saying it...

Qryztufre, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  18. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you have it right, Q, I agree. Been a little busy lately, so I haven't had the time to hang out much. ;)

crowbar, Nov 28, 2007 IP
  19. Gazzerman

Gazzerman Active Member

Best Answers:
    It does have importance, DMOZ listings are used by a majority of spam sites to create content on their sites that have no use to anyone. Most links are not helpful because most sites listed are irrelevant by the time they are listed. I did a survey of just over 1000 web users and they all found that dmoz had very little value when looking for relevant information on the web this was true also for the yahoo directory. Google was the preferred resource as it updates its old information regularly and directories dont. About 10% of the web users were website owners and stated that the only importance of DMOZ to them was being listed for google reasons. They stated that not being listed in DMOZ would not affect outside perception of their company. DMOZ is not taken seriously as a business in my opinion and I cant see that changing anytime soon. The best thing would be if google dropped DMOZ as its main Directory source.

I would like to see DMOZ change to a nofollow directory so we can see the real importance of the site. I would expect the spam submissions to drop by 90%. This way the editors can then spend time surfing for valuable sites instead of declining irrelevant ones. I dont expect this to happen!

Most of my sites are listed on dmoz so I am not bashing it, and I am not being negative because I want sites listed and am being refused like many others. Just thought I would clear that up.

So the answer for me is, there will always be an importance for DMOZ and that is to demonstrate how to waste perfectly good resources such as the many dmoz editors in this forum. Just as many learned form the failure of boo.com which famously went bust following the dot-com boom of the late 1990s. I would put money on the fact that the editors are more capable than checking submissions and maintaining a directory etc...

Gazzerman, Dec 2, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    What an interesting point of view. Interesting that not many editors are forced labor and if you believe that is all they do one can clearly see you are not an editor!

Editors edit because they enjoy doing their part in the overall directory. Sometimes that allows them to use their personal skills in doing such things as building editor tools to help others or find miscreants.

Editors rarely are interested in how webmasters see the value of the directory, only if it is of value to the surfer. So many of us do not show much interest in the value of a link or how important ODP is on the web.

Anonymously, Dec 3, 2007 IP