1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is ASP the future or not?

Discussion in 'C#' started by simplythewebst, Sep 26, 2011.

Except the beautiful Microsoft Visual Studio environment, I still am not convinced that ASP is the future of web development. I mean there is the huge HTML5/Javascript thing and PHP, Ruby, Python and Java. ASP is minor in my opinion. What are your thoughts about it. Thanks in advance.

simplythewebst, Sep 26, 2011 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you kidding? Compared to anything else, ASP is a minor player and is a Windows only product. Why anyone uses it in the first place, considering how backward it is, is beyond me. ASP will never be anything beyond what it is now and, if anything, will lose users since no one uses it on Linux, Chrome, iPhone, Blackberry or Android.

drhowarddrfine, Sep 28, 2011 IP
  3. nagpurpeople

nagpurpeople Peon

Best Answers:
    well i am asp developer having 8+ years of experiance and i did not find any limitation . and what i belive is limitation is with the developer and not with techology :)

nagpurpeople, Sep 29, 2011 IP
  4. necrobyter

necrobyter Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally much prefer PHP, the servers are all GNU free to use and I think it's both quicker and easier to create stable growth capable systems.

necrobyter, Sep 29, 2011 IP
  5. bharatmax

bharatmax Member

Best Answers:
    I have never seen such a topic about -is ASP is the future of web development ?

We can't predict future on this.Its really as great as PHP.For a skilled programer ASP is very promising.

bharatmax, Sep 29, 2011 IP
  6. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    asp struggles to generate valid markup. asp only runs on Windows. asp, by itself, struggles to work with new, modern code when it comes out.

drhowarddrfine, Sep 29, 2011 IP
  7. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ASP.NET is not the future. Neither is it the past. It is a viable programming framework that is a serious competitor in the web development world.

Wrong on all parts. ASP is a framework, not a language - you can choose what language you want to use. Originally it was VBScript or JScript, now you can use VB.NET, C#, F#, IronPython etc etc. All of these languages are updated very regularly by Microsoft, and they can output valid HTML - that's the coders problem, not the frameworks.

Yes, ASP.NET runs only on Windows, which gives it a smaller marketshare but also has several advantages.

blueparukia, Oct 6, 2011 IP
  8. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I never said it was a language but the framework does not provide valid, consistent output as is and must be tinkered with to do so.
    JScript is Microsoft's poor implementation of JavaScript and does not work with the ECMA standfard.
    So, no, I was not "wrong on all parts".
    Name one.

drhowarddrfine, Oct 7, 2011 IP
  9. bibinsmk

bibinsmk Active Member

Best Answers:
    The fastest developing technology I ever used. We can do any thing using asp, even mobile applications. So no doubts asp is the past, asp is the present and asp is the future.

bibinsmk, Oct 7, 2011 IP
  10. Rainulf

Rainulf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, asp is the future. And so is PHP. In other words, it's an alternative. :) It has its advantages compare to PHP and many other web languages

Rainulf, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  11. DaveCS

DaveCS Peon

Best Answers:
    I think ASP.NET is here to stay. The shear number of deployed applications and the fact that NET Framework 4.5 is near release. The real beauty of ASP.NET are the tools.
    Visual Studio may be bloated but it's world class and arguably the best development IDE available. With today's cheap hardware Visual Studio, SQL Server, IIS can run concurrent and not stress even the most low end home PCs. IMO those tools run together is by far the best a developer can use.

I have Eclipse, Flashbuilder, Dreamweaver and a host of other non-Microsoft tools but they don't hold a candle to Visual Studio.
    Having the ability to create and deploy asynchronous WCF services, Flash/Flex enabled ASMX soap services etc without a sweat; all the while writing SQL and reviewing live SQL Server data in a another pane
    of a PROFESSIONAL IDE can't be beat.

It's the tools, tight integration with .NET framework, programming languages, MS database servers, MS web servers that will keep ASP.NET alive and well. Customers first and foremost concern is delivery, they don't care if a technology is open source or 289 milliseconds faster for each function call. Customers just want to get up and running fast and ALL .NET development projects, web or otherwise allow that better than any other platform out there.

DaveCS, Oct 13, 2011 IP
  12. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Far more applications are deployed using PHP or Java than asp.net
    And yet it's slower and more resource hungry than Apache and mySQL.
    Then why do most developers NOT use them?
    Who told you that? Microsoft? Lol! Right now...show me a mobile application that runs on Android, iPhone and desktop that needs, or even uses, .NET. Lol! And I want you to include WebGL in that, too. Double lol!!

And guarantee me Microsoft won't ever change the API calls in the framework and that I can carry on my code onto Windows8. Triple lol!!!

You got sucked into the Microsoft mind set. You are a Microsoft zombie. There is no hope for you.

drhowarddrfine, Oct 13, 2011 IP
  13. DaveCS

DaveCS Peon

Best Answers:
    "Far more applications are deployed using PHP or Java than asp.net"
    Never disputed that.

"And yet it's slower and more resource hungry than Apache and mySQL."
    So what. The tools for those mentioned are trash.

"Then why do most developers NOT use them?"
    Too cheap and not willing to spend money on premium tools. Even the Adobe Flashbuilder forums are filled with people asking for help with there hacked up SDK+ "insert free tool here" monstrosity of a project.

As far as the mobile apps go, I give you that. The plus MS has going is that it's relatively easy to port existing Silverlight apps to Win Phone. There is a problem, Silverlight is about dead and the future don't look to sunny. WinPhone market share is horrible.

I have or have used most of the tools for the open source stuff. They are just trash. It's not that I'm a Microsoft fanboy but I don't like working with garbage. Way back when I used to code Perl, command lines and black and white output. Not anymore, I would rather pay upfront for top end tools, it makes life much easier. If others are so cheap they need to cobble their development environments together so be it.

DaveCS, Oct 13, 2011 IP
  14. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Wait a minute. First you listed those items as features of ASP.NET. Then, when I refute them, you say I'm right and it doesn't matter and devs are cheap. I'd rather summarize it as ASP.NET sucks.
    Either you never learned how to use your tools or you need pretty, blinking lights.
    Yep. You need pretty blinking lights. But you proved my point:
    1) Doing things from the command line is far, FAR more flexible and adaptable than ANYTHING you can do with a GUI. Also, most terminal have color output. ALSO, you imply you can only code Perl and other 'open source stuff' in a black and white terminal while a host of IDEs and editors are excellent.
    Eclipse is a cobble? Most of us would consider being able to piece together your own environment any way you want in a custom design a feature instead of the "Microsoft way or the highway" method. After all, the whole internet was created using "cheap" tools by "cheap" developers. In fact, 80% of the web runs on "cheap" Apache edited with "cheap" vi on "cheap" Linux and BSD machines.

And we don't have to wait for Microsoft to update its software when new things come out. ASP.NET still does not produce valid output, nor does it keep up with current technologies as fast as anyone with a "cheap", black and white output terminal with the command line can.
    That would never happen with open source. How many Silverlight devs are now out of a job? Remember when .NET went from 1.0 to 2.0 and *everything* changed, totally screwing up apps? I do! Cost me $50K on a project I was working on. Would never happen with open source.

drhowarddrfine, Oct 14, 2011 IP
  15. DaveCS

DaveCS Peon

Best Answers:
    You can say what you want. ASP.NET will be around for the long term for those points I initially mentioned. (topic of the thread)

My point about black and white output was that I have had enough of NEEDING to use command lines. Those commands can now be inserted into code or run at certain execution points; assuming you're not using cheap tools.

There is nothing cool about using vi or ee on and old BSD terminal window. I might also add that tracing full output from a terminal means scrolling screens while in tools such as VS you have a nice orderly stack trace you can easily navigate.

"That would never happen with open source." That is completely wrong. I've worked on open source projects in the past and all it does is give one experience. Eventually you need to pay the bills and that is why open source projects get dumped so frequently. Sure there are success stories like VLC, mysql, FFMPEG etc, but the vast majority of open source projects fail.
    I'll let sourceforge.net do the talking on that. Take a look around the graveyard there.

"User friendly" Linux flavors such as Ubuntu would have a huge piece of the PC OS market if only they had applications that could compete with those installed on a Windows based OS. That day will never come and the netbook fiasco proved it. For servers or embedded systems sure, for the mass consumer market, nope and that's where the money is.

Eclipse. Ah the premier tool for open source based developers. TRASH compared to VS. There is no argument that can be made about that. It's easier to customize and add features to VS than Eclipse. The productivity is just not in the same league. From intellisense to debugging, there is nothing Eclipse has over VS other than it's free and JS toolkit (jQuery etc) plugins.

I remember the changes, I went from having to use VB4 to .NET 1.0 to .NET 2.0 during my time with a past employer. It was a difficult time but it grew into what I feel is by far the
    the best platform to develop on, .NET Framework 4.x.

In closing, ASP.NET will continue to be a player because others share my view in paying for top end tools to deliver powerful apps faster and easier than with open source tools.
    You get what you pay for... Flashbuilder 4.x being an exception.

DaveCS, Oct 14, 2011 IP
  16. kshnbd

kshnbd Peon

Best Answers:
    Once you will be familiar with ASP.net you will not like to program with PHP anymore. :)

kshnbd, Oct 14, 2011 IP
  17. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, I'm sure it will.
    So you're saying you only like to do point and click programming?
    I didn't know being cool had anything to do with it. I just want to get work done. btw, you know most movies show high tech guys running things in a *nix terminal window, don't you? Cool, eh?
    Uh, unless you don't do it that way. You don't have to dump to the screen you know. And there are analysis tools, free of course, for such things. Again, it sounds like you aren't aware of the tools.
    And that's a bad thing?
    Uh, we're not talking about developing open source projects. Open source projects are mostly not for profit or money making at all. Neither are the ones you mention except mySQL but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about tools you work with.
    And how many Windows projects are there that have long disappeared? Is there such a repository for Windows? You couldn't check even if you wanted to.
    *nix is for professionals and was never intended for amateurs like Windows is. Microsoft had a big head start on that and most commercial development for the home user is in that area. But that has nothing to do with the tools for developers.
    I wouldn't know. I don't use either. I just know Google, IBM and Oracle use them extensively. My company owns a copy of VS but we've never used it since we tried it many years ago.
    You NEED intellisense cause there's no way any human being can keep track of all the APIs and libraries required by .NET compared to the "everything should be as easy as possible" environment of *nix.
    But you said you can't get that to work on iPhones or Android or iPads or other platforms or anywhere but Windows. My company's code runs everywhere. And with open source, you wouldn't have had to go through that "difficult time" as we all had to do.
    True. Especially cause Microsoft keeps telling you that. Like Silverlight is the future.
    And there you go, thinking the tools make powerful applications. Tools help the developer alone. And anything ASP.NET can do, open source can do better, sooner, everywhere on every platform, today, for free, without having to wait for Microsoft to develop it and distribute it. That's why MOST PEOPLE DON'T USE ASP.NET.
    I know one guy who will run emacs up against VS anytime. He told me, emacs can run rings around VS and spit in its face. Emacs is fully programmable and, seeing his set up, I believe it probably can. I haven't talked to him in quite a while. I'm going to see if I can get him to come here and talk about that.

Ooh! Did you hear the rumor that the .NET framework might be on its way out?! I forgot I heard that speculation coming out of the last Windows8 shindig. Great news, eh?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
    drhowarddrfine, Oct 14, 2011 IP
  18. ankitasharma

ankitasharma Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    ASP is a great Technology and with this you have great future...

ankitasharma, Oct 17, 2011 IP
  19. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't want to run on iPads or iPhones or Android phones or Blackberries or Linux or anything mobile related.

drhowarddrfine, Oct 17, 2011 IP
  20. amkeabhi123

amkeabhi123 Member

Best Answers:
    yes better future in the asp(active server page) regarding to ,very change in the asp and always coming new feature and learn many more.

amkeabhi123, Oct 20, 2011 IP