1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Adobe Illustrator easy to learn for a photoshop user?

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by daisuke48, Mar 15, 2010.

Hey I'm thinking of using illustrator to make logos as I read a lot on the web that illustrator is better than photoshop in logo designing.So I want to know,can I,a photoshop user,can learn illustrator easily(not easy like super easy,just normal rate of learning)?

Please reply A.S.A.P

Thanks in advance

daisuke48, Mar 15, 2010 IP
  2. Mentalhead

Mentalhead Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well it's true that is better for logos than Photoshop and if you're well with photoshop I'm sure that you'll be able to find your way around it Illustrator. You might have to practice a bit before you can really master it.

Mentalhead, Mar 15, 2010 IP
  3. LuBnA-

LuBnA- Peon

Best Answers:
    Well it depends, if you have used the pen tool in photoshop and can use it well, then Illustrator should be quite easy, as that's the main Illustrator tool. The hard part is the transfer of working with vector images instead of bitmaps. I personally love the blend modes and blur tool on photoshop, and use them a lot, so its harder for me to use Illustrator which has those tools, only they don't quite work the same.

But personally i would say getting the hang of illustrator and using it for simple things like logos should be pretty easy. It would be much harder if you were to create complex illustrations though.

LuBnA-, Mar 15, 2010 IP
  4. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it depends. i hardly understand layers .. but layer concept don't apply in inkscape where users can just draw freely vector arts. if yuo wanted to create another object, you don't create layer but just set aside the ting and draw another thing.

etc, Mar 15, 2010 IP
  5. dottylou

dottylou Member

Best Answers:
    If you use Photoshop, you'll have an idea about Illustrator - it takes some getting used to, but once you've mastered it you'll be fine. Illustrator is the best for creating logos. Practice, practice practice and you'll be fine!

dottylou, Mar 15, 2010 IP
  6. daisuke48

daisuke48 Member

Best Answers:
    Wow from what you guys saying,illustrator is more complex than photoshop and photoshop itself is confusing enough! I'll try download the trial first and see how I manage.Thanks a lot guys!

daisuke48, Mar 15, 2010 IP
  7. yesmate

yesmate Peon

Best Answers:
    Illustrator is MUCH harder to use than Photoshop imo. It doesn't really work the same way. But there are lots of tutorials out there so you can pick it up if you practice.

yesmate, Mar 15, 2010 IP
  8. nirolfnilatsan

nirolfnilatsan Peon

Best Answers:
    yesmate is right

nirolfnilatsan, Mar 16, 2010 IP
  9. seosuperman

seosuperman Peon

Best Answers:
    I am having the same issues, I know Illustrator is better for logos but I am having issues understanding it. Does anyone have a tutorial site you recommend? Please let me know it is greatly appreciated.

seosuperman, Mar 16, 2010 IP
  10. Fenchel

Fenchel Member

Best Answers:
    I also am interested in this topic. Thank you for the advice.

Fenchel, Mar 16, 2010 IP
  11. red_devils

red_devils Peon

Best Answers:
    it will depends. If you familiar with photoshop, I think you will learn fast with illustrator. If I may suggest, if you want to create logo, try to create by using corel.

red_devils, Mar 16, 2010 IP
  12. m7md_cis

m7md_cis Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, since you work on Photoshop, also you can work on Illustrator, because both the same enviroment, so that both for Adobe.

m7md_cis, Mar 17, 2010 IP
  13. shadow-sapphire

shadow-sapphire Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, an experienced user of photoshop can get good with illustrator in abt 10 - 15 days. And its definitely great for using in vector works . The work environment is similar in both of the softwares as well as some of the tools.

shadow-sapphire, Mar 17, 2010 IP
  14. Sagits

Sagits Peon

Best Answers:
    I find Illustrator exremely harder than photoshop

Sagits, Mar 17, 2010 IP
  15. extreamidea

extreamidea Active Member

Best Answers:
    yah it should be easy .... as i m also photoshop user then i just checked illustrator and i found is so easy .... actualy i also knew coral draw then so it was lot easy ....

extreamidea, Mar 17, 2010 IP
  16. ExaltedGFX

ExaltedGFX Peon

Best Answers:
    I found it to be easy. I went from web based graphics to vector for t-shirts and I found the transition from heavily using PS to using AI. Just takes a little while to get used to using the pen tool a lot but besides that it's quite easy.

ExaltedGFX, Mar 18, 2010 IP
  17. BarbaraACF

BarbaraACF Peon

Best Answers:
    Illustrator is a vector based program, so the tools are a lot different that Photoshop (raster based). It's not incredibly hard to use, it just takes practice. Practice using the pen tool first. I learned the pen tool by importing images into illustrator and tracing them. One you get the feel for that, the other tools are much easier.

BarbaraACF, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  18. C4Cyanide

C4Cyanide Peon

Best Answers:
    Illustrator is way more difficult than Photoshop.

But from what I've heard, it's the best for creating logos and such.

C4Cyanide, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  19. nessness

nessness Peon

Best Answers:
    The main thing in starting to use Illustrator, rather than photoshop is getting the hang of the pen tool. It can be *very* frustrating, but after some practice, it makes a lot of sense. For designing logos, illustrator is the best for vector graphics. Photoshop is okay for web-only logos that are small, but for a proper formal logo Illustrator is essential.

nessness, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  20. EliteFlyers_com

EliteFlyers_com Active Member

Best Answers:
    wow, i always though illustrator was easier than photoshop lol :confused: i learned AI before PS though. and i guess it depends on what youre doing...

EliteFlyers_com, Mar 19, 2010 IP