1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Access right for a customer and Bookkeeping database

Discussion in 'Databases' started by wicketywick, Feb 23, 2010.

I would like to have a database built for my small company.
    this database should of course be used to track customers, articles and be used to write bills and the whole shebang.

I would also like to include the book keeping information in the same Database so I can use this data for queries.

Cas Access fulfull this job?

Since I have the Microsoft Professional package, it would only seem fitting to use the Access pgm for this but I am not sure if there is a better software out there.

i am not located in the USA but in Germany.

thanks

Steven

wicketywick, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  2. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Access is a nice DB, and it's fine for desktop applications or for rapid development. But you would be much better developing for MS SQL, and since MS provide the Express versions for free that would be a better one to use.

If you plan on a internet application, then don't consider Access as MS SQL is the only DB MS recommed for online.

RonBrown, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  3. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Are you looking to use the database as a front end interface as well, or do you have some other software?

Generally, you would have 2 components to a system like this. The application and then the database. With MSSQL or MySQL or any other standard relational database, there isn't any sort of user interface that would allow you to easily add, update and delete information in the database, so you would have a web or desktop application to interact with.

With Access , you have an excel-like interface and Access supports a variety of vba code so you can create an interface directly in access. It's not exactly easy but it is possible to do this directly within Access.

I would say that access can do the job, but it's very limited in terms of scaling, performance, and function. It really depends on whether you are going to have a separate application handling the interface, or if you want an all-in-one setup.

jestep, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  4. rayqsl

rayqsl Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on how skilled a developer you are and/or how much money you're going to spend on this. You say you're a small company. So if you're looking to do this yourself and you're not a software developer, then Access is fine. You can probably do almost everything you want without using too much (if any) vba code. There are lots of tutorials and help forums out there to give any assistance you might need.

If you don't have any money to spend on this then Access is fine (because you've already got it).

Once you start growing and/or want to update the database over the internet you'll need to use some kind of relational database such as MySQL with web pages as the front end. You'll be able to export your Access data and import it into your next database.

Good luck.

rayqsl, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  5. niceboy

niceboy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its always better to go with open source Mysql than Access.

niceboy, Mar 9, 2010 IP
  6. plog

plog Peon

Best Answers:
    Its always a mistake to use absolutes.

plog, Mar 10, 2010 IP
  7. rrajkumar

rrajkumar Peon

Best Answers:
    You should also consider online database applications. This takes the access-db-app / simple-database-app concept to the cloud, so that you can access your application from any device with an internet connection.

iFreeTools Creator, which runs over Google App Engine, even allows you map the application to your own domain (like appname .yourdomain .com) using Google Apps for free. No programming skills are required to built the apps. Just search for "iFreeTools Creator".

rrajkumar, Mar 14, 2010 IP