1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is a puzzlement . . . .

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Owlcroft, Jun 1, 2004.

I have a site nominally optimized for two related phrases, say A and B. For weeks or months it was steadily working its way back up the SERPs since some unknown catastrophe several months ago, and--in a moderately competitive zone--had reached about #27 for A and #33 or #34 for B, and a site front-page PR of 6, and was rising weekly.

Suddenly--meaning here about 4 or 5 days ago--with no changes in the site, it's at #60 or so for A and #90 or so for B, PR apparently down to 5, and everything still in free fall. The pages still get updated daily, have about the same content, and I really, really doubt anyone else in these phrases has done anything dramatic lately.

Any theories?

Owlcroft, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  2. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Bit of an update going on, page rank shifting slightly.

OWG

Old Welsh Guy, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  3. eCommando

eCommando Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yea, it may take a while to get the results stabilized. I am noticing more and more on competitive keywords that the less you use on page optimization the higher the rankings.

eCommando, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  4. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Hi for my weber bbqs I dropped from 20 to 40 about the same time, including my weber bbqs -dsa...etc but today the latter is back to 20

Also I noticed that on or about May 12th some of my "lesser" supported keywords did a dramatic drop - as of yet I have not analysed this "phenomena" but the graphs on the KWT show it significantly.

I am hoping that all will settle out by the 12th this month and then I might be able to find the cause.

and pigs might fly! :D

Foxy, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  5. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    looks like an ongoing preliminary update.

Presently get two different results for www and non www version of domains. E.G. diff PR and backlinks.

This always has a dramatic effect on overall G reported backlinks as a lot seem to fall below 4 before domains are looked at as one unit and the result is aggregated.
    Lost some PR due to this but SERP results are steady, so I hope G gets it's act together soon.
    M

expat, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  6. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    as far as I know there aren't any reasons why we can't drop urls, so could we see it and then maybe offer some advice based on that?

disgust, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  7. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Same here. SERP's stable but dropped PR and dropped BIG time on reported backlinks.

T0PS3O, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  8. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Right.

The thing that makes Google A Wonder And A Marvel to the world at large is its reliable ability to return to users meaningfully sorted lists of sites relevant to their inquiry.

The fact that those lists may vary drastically over weeks or days or hours with no material changes in the any of sites listed . . . why don't look at that man behind the curtain! I am The Great And Powerful OZ!!

Owlcroft, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  9. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Not my latest experience when our irrigation pump blew up and I had to source a new one fast.

The result on G for water pumps irrigation pumps - extending to surface mounting or centrifugal ....
    is simply abysmal. If I want to look in a directory I go there in the first place....

Afraid presently it's rather

The thing that makes Google A Wonder And A Marvel to the world at large is its reliable ability to return to users meaningless sorted lists of sites irrelevant to their inquiry at a cost of 2.7Billion - what does one have to pay to get results?
    M

expat, Jun 2, 2004 IP
  10. SEOGulper

SEOGulper Peon

Best Answers:
    Another sad story......

I have a site that came online 2.5 months ago. Was steadily rising on it's main keyword up from oblivion 700's... 600's..... finally reached number 435 with a PR4 homepage, then...... GONE!

Now, it's finally "up" to #863. OUCH!

About the relevancy to searchers.. I guess if a guy searches for dog food, and get 1.5 million returns, then comes back and gets a different 1.8 million, he doesn't care that much, as long as he can feed his dog.

But the former #1 dog food site owner sure cares!

SEOGulper, Jun 2, 2004 IP