1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is a PR update starting?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by stephenmunday, Jun 28, 2005.

My site is PR4 in the toolbar, but in the (newly updated) Google Directory, it seems to be listed as PR5... Could this mean that a visible PR update is about to occur / is occuring.

(BTW, I know that visible PR does not mean a whole lot, it is just for entertainment value :) )

stephenmunday, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I read a post stating Google directory uses an 8 point scale rather than a ten point one. I do not know but like you my directory listing looked like a six and when update came I remained a five.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  3. obenix

obenix Eats an apple a day......

Best Answers:
    If you are referring to your kanji site, I see a PR5. Not sure if an update is happening. I don't see any movements in mine...
    Using SEOChat's Future Pagerank, I see a 4 for your kanji site.. :confused:
    http://www.seochat.com/seo-tools/future-pagerank/

BTW, nice site...:)

obenix, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  4. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Obenix. I am referring to my kanji name translation site.

My toolbar is showing 4, but I am listed above PR5 sites in the Google Directory. ..

5. JoeO

JoeO Peon

Best Answers:
    The directory is updated way more then the tool bar. If it looks like a PR5 in the directory it could be a 5 or a 6. The best way to tell is how high you are in the list of people that are pr5. I think everything in the directory is sorted right down to the exact PR. So if you are 0.1 higher then someone you appear above them. Even if the bar looks the same.

At least this has been my observation.

JoeO, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  6. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    That's really interesting, Joe. So if I want to know "real" PR, it seems like the directory is the place to look.

7. JoeO

JoeO Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup, say you have a PR5 site, but in the directory you are listed above a bunch of PR6 sites. Chances are you will move up to PR6 next toolbar update.... assuming nothing changes before then.

JoeO, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  8. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:

I have sites that have ranked about PR6 sites for over a year, yet they remain PR5. I also have a PR4 site in a category with a PR5 site I have. The PR4 site is higher and I know that the PR4 site it isn't coming close to outranking my PR5 site.

The update of the google directory happens only a few times a year - and doesn't relate to the PR update.

mjewel, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  9. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    So this means either:

1) The PR ranking order shown in the Directory means nothing (as PR4 sites can be shown above PR5 sites)

or

2) The PR ranking shown in the Directory is the true one, and more accurate than what you can see on the Toolbar.

or

3) Both of them differ from the real PR for your site that is kept in the background.

stephenmunday, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  10. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    I had a site that went from a 3 to a 5 this week and today has gone back to a 3 (it stayed a 3 by the API the whole time though)

Design Agent, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  11. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    Just a bit of info on the Google Directory scale. I just update this article and made some additions to it.
    www.seocompany.ca/pagerank/pr/toolbar-directory-page-rank.php

The Google Toolbar Pagerank is a 11 unit scale of 0-10. The Google Directory Pagerank scale is a 8 unit scale of the following. The 8 positions are cleardot.gif or 0, 5/35, 11/29, 16/24, 22/18, 27/13, 32/18, and 38/2 (pos.gif/neg.gif). Below are examples of each of these 8 units. These 8 units can only been see by looking at the code that makes up the Pagerank green bar.

[​IMG]

www.seocompany.ca/pagerank/google-directory-page-rank-scale.html

bobmutch, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  12. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, god save us.

How many more times are you going to post all this jabberwocky, Bob?

minstrel, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  13. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    Well, as long as its related to the post, why cant Bob give his point of view?

Dirkjan, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  14. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    Minstrel: "How many more times are you going to post all this jabberwocky, Bob?"
    You don't want to go through this all over away now do you minstrel?
    If so you can start by pointing out what is jabberwocky in my post and giving me a defination of jabberwocky.

bobmutch, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's not a point of view - it's another advertisement for his site, and one he's posted many times before.

minstrel, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  16. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    minstreal: "It's not a point of view..."
    Every think I post is a point of view. Every thing you post is a point of view be it right or wrong.
    ...it's another advertisement for his site...
    Of courses it is. I have been very open about that. I am here to promote my site and my services AND to provide help and information. I also notice that you have 4 keyword rich links in every post. This is advertisement also. Oh yes you have a link to your blog below your handle also. More self promotion.

But hey, Shawn allows self promotion here. Long as that is not all you are doing here. He wants some quality input and that is what I am doing.

By that way Minstrel would you like a link over at skaffe for your blog. I just got added up as editor in the Skaffe Weblogs/Blogs category. If you blog is good quality and you blog over 5 submissions a month I will add you up.
    http://www.skaffe.com/viewCat/68879

Let me know!

bobmutch, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  17. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    From the Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jabberwocky

I like number 7, sub section 1 the best myself...

Funny stuff!

Mia, Jun 30, 2005 IP