1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ip for blog comments

Discussion in 'Security' started by thefont, Sep 22, 2016.

Could somebody please point me in the direction of what it means if someone comments on a site and the IP is 10.147.5.233

When I try and trace it it says that it is a private ip address. I tried googling what this means, but don't really understand it. Does it mean they are using a "hide my ip" service, that it is someone that is logged into our site that is leaving the comments, or something else?

I would like to find out as the person commenting is leaving damaging personal information about employees intended to cause them harm.

thefont, Sep 22, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If they comment on a site, and the actual IP is 10.x.x.x - that means they're on an INTERNAL IP-address. IP-addresses in the 10.x-range, 192.x-range, and 169.x-range are private addresses - that means they're never public, ie. available from the Internet. All addresses within those three ranges are "private", ie only on the inside of a NATing router. Depending on how this is done, and how the network is set up, and so forth and so on, that commenter is either spoofing his IP (which is possible, of course), or he is on the same network as the computer receiving the posts.

PoPSiCLe, Sep 30, 2016 IP
  3. StackNetwork

StackNetwork Peon

Best Answers:
    It's used for mass spaming and yes he is spoofing his IP ... If you are using wordpress use Jetpack + Akismet to ignore such spam completely.

Thanks.

StackNetwork, Oct 13, 2016 IP