1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IP Cloaking

Discussion in 'PHP' started by Vibranarayanan, Aug 16, 2005.

Hi all

I am vibra. PHP programer.

i need to do IP cloaking . any one in this group please help me to do the script

(i have to chane my source ip address)

a waiting for your reply
    vibra

Vibranarayanan, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  2. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    We should cloak your IP to get out of here.

City2, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Sorry Vibra

The only people who need to do IP cloaking are spammers. Prove that your motives are pure and you might get some takers. Not me though, no idea how you do htat.

Sarah

sarahk, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  4. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a fair question.

You get out of here if you're not interested. :)
    What help do you need? I'm no programmer, but I can offer advice on what works or not. :)

SEbasic, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  5. webmistress

webmistress Guest

Best Answers:
    IP Cloaking + PHP Programmer = SPAM!

webmistress, Aug 28, 2005 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  6. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    Trash talking someone's thread just because you don't like the tactic = LAME!

For more on that opinion:http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=26362

I can probably help but you need to be a lot more specific with what you're trying to accomplish.

Nitin M, Aug 28, 2005 IP
    mopacfan and Bazkaz like this.
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I thought it was actually making it very clear just what sort of dangerous territory cloaking would be taking a webmaster into.

I can show someone how to do all sorts of *bad* things, skills that you sometimes need. But before I share them I'd want to be very sure that the person understood what they were doing and that they intended no harm.

sarahk, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  8. webmistress

webmistress Guest

Best Answers:
    You've coined the right word - LAME!!

To be honest it can't be worst than this. IP cloaking and Search engine spamming is ths single reason why thousands of people are striving on the internet just to get a decent rank in the major search engines. The more you try to spoof your ranks on those engines, the more they'll lift the bar and the harsher those folks get over time.

Both parties suffer! Whether you're an ethical search engine optimizer trying to make a few bucks online just to pay your education or a serious spammer trying to make a lot just to rule the earth, the penalty seems to apply to both parties.

LAME! Why do people have to think about only tomorrow? Or next week? or next month? Think about the future generation to come. At this pace, the search engines will become so picky that newbie websites will be found nowhere on the serps. And the reason will be because of IP cloaking just to obtain good ranks - NOW, gimme a good reason why you need to cloak your IP so as to perform an ETHICAL search engine operation or any other operation online where your IP showing somewhere is a hindrance then I promise to remove this thread and send a $100 note to the starter of this thread as an excuse conpensation...

and if you can't, then i see no reason why it's not LAME to not trash this thread, or any other i will encounter in the future!

...and yeah, stop whining please! http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=26362

webmistress, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  9. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know exactly what you mean by 'IP cloaking' here, but if you're talking about forging the originating address in UDP/TCP packet headers, good luck doing that with PHP :D (Hint: C/C++ might be a bit closer to the metal, and this forum is quite the wrong place to discuss systems-level programming...)

Isn't that the case already? Sandbox and all... ;)

Willy, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  10. Nitin M

Best Answers:
    There are many legitimate reasons to perform IP Cloaking and IP Redirecting. Here are 2 off the top of my head:

Example 1:
    A site that wants to show country/language specific content. Based on the incoming IP address a modified version of the page is displayed and/or a user is directed to the county/language specific version of their site.

Example 2:
    A site that requires registration to view their content (e.g. the experts exchange or the wall street journal) but wants the search engine bots to see and index their content.

Please send paypal payment to ultimaterank @ gmail . com

Thanks,
    Nitin

Nitin M, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  11. webmistress

webmistress Guest

Best Answers:
    Ha-Ha-ah...how many errors? ;)

webmistress, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  12. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I never thought about those two reasons, but those are definitely very good reasons for cloaking. #2 is kind of the reverse of spamming. You're showing the SE everything and limiting the rest of the world. :p

Most excellent

mopacfan, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  13. Nitin M

Best Answers:
    I have no idea what this means. Care to elaborate?

Nitin M, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I had a client recently tackle just that and the most appropriate way thing to do was to see if the referrer was an external site and redirect them to the Country home page, leaving a normal home page as default and for people to navigate back to. Ambiguous user_agents (ie not 100% certain it was human) would go to the generic home page.

This is not cloaking. It just states that for certain user_agents a login is required. Problem, you can spoof your user agent with Firefox easily so it's not secure. Best check is that the user can't use cookies or javascript but you're still leaving alot to chance. Bet I could use Curl to quickly get your content.

Plus it really f***s me off when I find content in Google, go to the site and have to register to veiw. I leave and never return. But I'm guessing I'm not your kind of customer anyway...

sarahk, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  15. Nitin M

Best Answers:
    Are you trying to argue that there is always a non-cloaking appraoch that should be taken instead of using cloaking? If so, why? Where is it written that all cloaking is bad? Cloaking and IP redirecting are just technology approaches that can be used in a variety of situations.

And I don't think you understood my example #2. The point is that there are sites that want the search engines to index all their content but want users (regardless of where they come from) to be required to register/pay for access. Experts-exchange is a very well known and legitimate site that does this.

Ummm, so you are saying you understand the limitations of using user agent because it is so easy to get around, and yet IP Cloaking is not a valid technical solution, why?

Nitin M, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  16. DarkBrothers

DarkBrothers Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Nitin. In fact, the only good reason for using cloaking now is for technical reasons as he demonstrated. The old method of using cloaking for seo is detected too easily and earned a ban instantly, so no seo in their right mind would use it anymore.

DarkBrothers, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I think I did understand, I think you need to consider that experts-exchange no longer have my support. I'm sure they don't lose any sleep over that.

sarahk, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  18. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Then why don't you do it on another forum...
    No one asked for your opinion on this thread...

Damn, when did this place turn so anti "Black-Hat"?
    I hate all that BS...

The only reason I have ever read someone trash Spammy techniques is when they are getting blasted by it.

Get over it. :)

SEbasic, Aug 30, 2005 IP