1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ip address and ad clicking

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by web-rover, May 1, 2005.

How often is "one" IP address allowed to click an ad?
    SEMrush

web-rover, May 1, 2005 IP
    SEMrush
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As long as you aren't clicking your own ad and not asking others to click your ads, why are you wondering? :)

digitalpoint, May 1, 2005 IP
  3. runnerunner

runnerunner Active Member

Best Answers:
    200 times an hour. no really, i swear :D

runnerunner, May 1, 2005 IP
  4. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    23hrs 59minutes 59seconds :p . Thats is the exact value. :D

Tuning, May 1, 2005 IP
  5. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    just wondering since i have a couple forums, i'm sure regular visistors and members have clicked ads more than once.

web-rover, May 2, 2005 IP
  6. maverick

maverick Peon

Best Answers:
    Once in a month... thats the only click considered for your revenue.. :D

maverick, May 2, 2005 IP
  7. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I use an Adsense tracking tool that shows a variety of information about each click. One surprising thing was the number of people that click on multiple ads. They hit the ad link, view the page and come back. I assumed that Google's method of opening ads in the same window would assure that I am sending some visitors away forever. I look at the IP's that have multiple clicks and they do look natural, meaning they occur 20 seconds to 3 minutes apart in a random fashion.

I wouldn't be surprised if you saw 15 to 25% of all clicks coming form multi-clickers. Assuming you are doing nothing wrong, Google should be happy with it.

tbarr60, May 2, 2005 IP
  8. maverick

maverick Peon

Best Answers:
    can you give some more information about the adsense tool you are using? or the path to download it online?

maverick, May 2, 2005 IP
  9. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's AdsenseTracker from adsensegold.com. I mentioned in my blog a while back. It's php based and requires one line of code to be added after all adsense code in your pages. It will show who refered what traffic to what page and what ad they went to and what IP and what time and what channel and what keyword was used and ...and...and......

I find it quite useful.

tbarr60, May 2, 2005 IP
  10. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    My understanding is--from my experience--that for legitimate clicks from the same IP, as the click count goes up, the value of each click goes down, until eventually the clicks become $0.00. But I have no idea how many clicks it takes to reach $0.00.

As always, IMO.

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, May 2, 2005 IP
  11. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If your premise is right, Google would have to charge the Adwords client less or pocket more of the procedes. Adwords users should be paying a fairly constant rate up to their max. I am not sure why you would see the multiple clicks from one IP to different ads go down in value.

tbarr60, May 2, 2005 IP
  12. king_cobra

king_cobra Peon

Best Answers:
    why worry abt the fraud detection algorithm if u r not planning for fraud clicks?

Also its not some 50 line code that checks for fraud, believe me. There are many factors, much more than u can imagine.

king_cobra, May 4, 2005 IP
  13. paymentapprovaltooslow

paymentapprovaltooslow Banned

Best Answers:
    This has a lot to do with smart pricing.

paymentapprovaltooslow, May 4, 2005 IP
  14. topdog

topdog Peon

Best Answers:
    Revenue Pilot has anti click fraud in place and it works great. None of this worrying about click fraud and getting your account booted. Their system is simple and it works.

Multiple clicks from a single ip address are not paid if the clicks happen too quickly. If too many clicks come in from an ip address, the advertiser is not charged for those clicks (real time) and the account doesn't get any money for those clicks.

If a click comes in without a referrer url, it is not counted as a valid click thru and nobody is charged or paid out for those invalid click thrus.

If a click comes in from a country that is not approved by Revenue Pilot TOS, it is not counted as a valid click.

So what's my point? Revenue Pilot is a small company that has click fraud measures in place that actually work. The advertiser is not charged for invalid clicks and the publisher does not get paid for invalid clicks. I never worried about multiple or invalid clicks or "click fraud" because I am not the source for any invalid clicks in the first place - nor have I ever worried about losing my Revenue Pilot account due to click fraud.

If Revenue Pilot is able to implement click fraud countermeasures on the fly as noted above, surely Google can do the same or better. Certain things are beyond a publisher's control. For example, you can't prevent someone from clicking on your ad over and over again. I'm sure there have been instances when someone did this to try and get someone else's adsense account terminated or suspended for "click fraud". If this happens with Revenue Pilot, they simply show those clicks as invalid - end of story. No worries.

Here's an interesting post:
    SuzyVirtual was both booted AND re-instated after they determined she didn't do the clicking.
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum89/5960.htm

For the record... I LOVE ADSENSE. It outperforms Revenue Pilot as far as click thrus and pay outs go. I just wanted to point out that other ad agencies are able to successfully prevent click fraud without automatically kicking out the publisher because of some invalid clicks.

topdog, May 4, 2005 IP
  15. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    It's not a solid threory because the cause of the declining click values from the same IP may be caused by a number of factors. However, I have noticed a consistent pattern of declining click values when the clicks come from the same IP and on the same website, and that's what I think is causing it. I have no idea if I am right because I don't work for G so, as always: IMO.

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, May 4, 2005 IP
  16. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    Smart pricing certainly plays a role, but I still believe that clicks from the same IP--and on the same website--are discounted more and more as the click count from that same IP goes up, IMO.

AmCy

17. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    The worry--for me--is the fact that in theory an AS account could get sabotaged by someone else, perhaps an unscrupulous competitor. I think we all realize how easy it is for G to detect fraudulent clicks by the account owner.

AmCy

18. paymentapprovaltooslow

paymentapprovaltooslow Banned

Best Answers:

I don't know how many clicks are counted form the same IP before google discounts them. I am guessing within a 24 hour period it would probably be 2 or 3 assuming you delete cookies.

paymentapprovaltooslow, May 4, 2005 IP
  19. super_kid

super_kid Peon

Best Answers:
    Theoretically, all it would take is to delete cookies and change IPs.

I've heard Google has other means of tracking clicks, but I can't imagine what it is.

Plus, that would be fraud. Don't.

super_kid, May 5, 2005 IP