1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IOS development on pc

Discussion in 'Programming' started by carlosx2, Jul 13, 2015.

I read a lot about this, i have noticed apple tries to force people to program on a mac. As i don't have a mac and i just bought a new labtop i am looking into other ways to start coding my ios app.

I see lots of option to do it on pc, but what is best for native app development? I need something very solid as it will need to communicate with large database and be quick, also needs to be native for later integration with wearables.

Thank for your input!

carlosx2, Jul 13, 2015 IP
  2. Anveto

Anveto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Microsoft are doing interesting things claiming to let users run their apps written in C# on Windows Phone, Android and iOS, maybe this is something to look into https://www.visualstudio.com/

Otherwise you can run osx in a virtual machine or create a hackintosh but neither are recommended. You could get a decent macbook pro on ebay or the equivalent in your country for about $300, probably your best option if trying to save money and not buy a $2000 macbook.

Cordova or phonegap can make some decent apps but from my personal experience they create a lot of trouble as soon as you try to do anything complex (bog down and become slow or some things are just really complex to do compare to native code).

Anveto, Jul 13, 2015 IP
  3. carlosx2

carlosx2 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing, i will check it out.

carlosx2, Jul 13, 2015 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I do mine in a hackintosh build of OSX under VirtualBox. Usually if you can find a "server" edition of OSX, it will at least boot unmodified in VirtualBox despite 'blocks' put in place to make the normal consumer editions not run. I've got a copy of iDeneb Leoptard here (10.5.8) that runs just fine under Sun VirtualBox -- I use it for developing in xCode and for testing sites in Safari.... the latter becoming more and more important as Safari falls further and further behind Chrome and FF in functionality and compatibility.

You'd almost think in forking off Blink from Webkit that Google went and walked off with all the actually talented developers...

Though for the life of me I still can't get xCode or FPC on OSX to make a working binary that uses SDL. You KNOW it's jacked up when things are easier on Linux. :(

deathshadow, Jul 13, 2015 IP