1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Invision Power Vs. vBulletin

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by ki3000, Feb 28, 2010.

After looking through the forums and not finding any recent discussion on this issue, I had to ask the question, what is better between these two forum softwares. Previously, I thought vBulletin was far better, but the new IP forum looks pretty good. Especially adding a few extra features (which one have to buy separately), but still offers these features, makes it stand out. I am planning to create a big forum (i.e. national/localized) forum so I need to know which one to go with. If there's another discussion on this, please point me to it (as long as it's recent that's) since both of these 2 forums have improved tremendously.

Thanks, Garcias, Mwebale, Shukran, Asanti sana...

ki3000, Feb 28, 2010 IP
  2. Lazybuttons

Lazybuttons Active Member

Best Answers:
    As a member I've always preferred IPB for being user friendly and clean.

As an admin I've preferred IPB for it's amazing layered admin control panel.

vB's support is all day, but IPB's support can do more for you.

Both have features that the other one doesn't and both have a strong modding and skinning community. While vB's is larger, you won't have a problem finding what you need with IPB.

Lazybuttons, Mar 4, 2010 IP
  3. ki3000

ki3000 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Lazzybuttons....i was leaning towards IPB as well.

ki3000, Mar 6, 2010 IP
  4. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Guys even i wanted to know is the IPB still causing server loads ??

Bohra, Mar 7, 2010 IP
  5. FloridaSEOguy

FloridaSEOguy Peon

Best Answers:
    What are you going to put on the forum.? I have thought about creating a forum but you need such a hugh number of folks posting . Like throwing a big party and no one shows up.

FloridaSEOguy, Mar 7, 2010 IP
  6. Lazybuttons

Lazybuttons Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try the site theadminzone.com

You'll find various tips and tricks for filling up a forum full of happy members.

Lazybuttons, Mar 7, 2010 IP
  7. Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito Active Member

Best Answers:
    IPB is tough to customize. I'm stuck with it on big forums and just wish I was using vBulletin or myBB instead.

It's a pain in the a** to manage custom components or modifications. It does eat more server resources than vBulletin and the development team will often use their clients as guinea pigs for reporting critical bugs on the newest versions. (been there, done that)

I have a lifetime IPB license and I can't even access the official support forums unless I pay a fee. What other forum company does this type of thing to clients?

Run from away from IPB, seriously.

Nuno Brito, Mar 9, 2010 IP
  8. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well if you have the money then vB is fine i mean how man times will u be able to pay 150$+ dollars to upgrade to new versions ??

Bohra, Mar 9, 2010 IP
  9. Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have the money, just hate to spend it on things like this.

This is the reason why I've leaned my lesson and only use myBB for future projects.

Nuno Brito, Mar 9, 2010 IP
  10. -Aw-

-Aw- Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well if you don't have support then it would be considered perpetual and not lifetime.

-Aw-, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  11. Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito Active Member

Best Answers:
    The license is only valid while I'm alive and I can't pass it to someone else.

So, it's for a life time because perpetual would last forever.. (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/perpetual)

:)

Nuno Brito, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  12. -Aw-

-Aw- Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well it isn't really the definition which I meant. It's just that IPB's Perpetual license gives you unlimited downloads but you still have to pay for support, while their Lifetime license gives you unlimited downloads and support. Both are actually very rare at this point in time, since they don't sell either anymore.

-Aw-, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  13. Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito Active Member

Best Answers:
    What a dumb name. These guys don't even know what perpetual means, it would just be better if they they didn't used it on something that only lasts a lifetime.

Guess I got the "perpetual" one. This was back in 2005 or 2006 when they were re-baptizing the company to Invision Power instead of Invision Power Board like before.

Nuno Brito, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  14. Dreads

Dreads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    MyBB or Vbulletin would be your best bet.
    You can make any forum look like anything but Open Source always beats Closed to a certain degree.

MyBB + $140 Theme > Vbulletin.

I own 2 vbulletin forums and 1 mybb. I love myBB over vB because of the Open Source and experience.

Dreads, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  15. -Aw-

-Aw- Active Member

Best Answers:
    But look at what happened to vBulletin. Would you honestly say that price increase plus the fact that everything got rushed be any better? Mind you, Kier Darby has been openly criticizing vBulletin ever since he left, calling its gold release on his twitter "Madness."

-Aw-, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  16. bootsandrew

bootsandrew Peon

Best Answers:
    I havent used ipb or vb but i have used smf phpbb and mybb and mybb is the most reliable and easiest to use forum ever

bootsandrew, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  17. Gomar

Gomar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with basically everything bohra.

and AW ya, I got screwed by vB, when they introduced Version 4. I've got 2 Version 3 licenses, which now can't be transferred unless I upgrade. And upgrading is like $170 bucks..... So much for Owned Licenses, what happened to the $60 yearly renewals that gives you updates. I personally think is Bullcrap, so I don't like vB as a company already.

And from my standpoint as person that can't do anything programming, so I'm going to stay out of which one is better in terms of customizing codes, but in my opinion IPB looks a lot nicer and much more easier to navigate.

Gomar, Mar 12, 2010 IP
  18. -Aw-

-Aw- Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well yeah. The thing with IPB is that I never really had to change coding or anything at all, because it's great as it is. What I've seen typically is just anyone converting to anyone, in general. After the vBulletin controversy, I've actually seen that most of the conversions were from vBulletin to IPB 3.0, and rightfully so.

-Aw-, Mar 12, 2010 IP