1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

invisible links on home page

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by Sushi_Master, Dec 5, 2005.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No. You have that backwards. If he removes the links from his page, it will affect the partner page. It will not affect his page unless the partner page currently links back and decides to remove those reciprocal links.

minstrel, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  2. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    No legitiamate use of hidden text/links ?

Perhaps Shawn should remove the dropdown menus on this forum ?

No. Of course there's legitimate use of hidden text. Always has been, always will be.

As for the case at hand, I'd be inclined to simply make the links visible rather than risk possible loss in rank by removing them (assuming they have any significance in that regard at all).

What's more, sites I know have been reported for using hidden text to Google (legitimate use) remain untouched, and indexed as always.

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  3. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You can't just make up your own definitions as you go along, john_loch. That's not hidden (or invisible) text - that's a DHTML menu. Hardly the same thing.

minstrel, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  4. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    John invisible means that it can not be seen. if you mouse over a drop down menu you can see it. We are talking about the definition of hidden text being the text is the same colour as the background colour, or the use of CSS absolute positioning to place the text way off page so it will never be seen.

I hear what yoiur saying though, and of course via the use of layers and rollover effects you can have text that is not visible until an event triggers it. This is the only legitimate use of text on page not being visible, but then again it IS visible when you trigger the event.

Now what about same colour text/BG on a layer that has to be triggered by an event :D

Old Welsh Guy, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  5. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Hehe lol.. or mebbe the old clickndrag event (no OWG, I don't mean putting your hip out either.. I mean hilighting the page to view etc..) :p

I know what hidden text means, it's just that people need to be aware it's more about intent than the black and white of TOS.. it's also the reason G fails to find the majority of such cases unless reported. Just too much factoring.

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  6. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The first thing I do when looking at a potential clients site is ctrl A . Then it is into the code for a quick bit of checking, then it is into the search engines cache to see the shit they took off the page just before they called me LOL.

Conversation:.

OWG 'so tell me what dirty tricks have you employed to get your site removed?'

Customer ' Who , me? No way OWG I would never do such a thing, I help old ladies across the road, give blood once a week and bone marrow every other week. I work 25 hours a day for charity, I am a pillar of the community and would never, i reapt NEVER do anything underhanded.

OWG ' so what about all this stuff from the search engine cache of your page, hidden text keyword stuffing cloaked redirect to a total spam page?

Customer - ' Oh THAT! Hmm OK fair cop, I hold my hands up, I did that, but I am better now and I swear I will never do it again. The dog made me do it, he ate my homework. I swear I am all better now.

:D

Old Welsh Guy, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  7. mgf

mgf Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the advice above - I used hidden links sometimes to a full sitemap which will I will change to viewable

mgf, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I hate it when dogs do that, OWG... why don't they ever eat the gas bill instead?

minstrel, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  9. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Because it don't taste as good of course, though sometimes I swear, whether or not may name be Bill, that damn dog got.. :)

OK I'll shut up now :)

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Dec 7, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.