1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Interesting info about editing and becoming an editor

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Anonymously, Oct 24, 2007.

1. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Indeed it does, but I'm on Minstrel's side here.
    is perfectly legible and intelligible...

...an excess of negation has likely inverted the intended meaning though :).

jimnoble, Oct 30, 2007 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Blog, not newsletter. There is a difference. Sadly you don't have a clue...yet I'm the one not in the know :rolleyes:

You don't get it do you? It is posts like that which cause the animosity that so many people have against the ODP. And it is trolls like you that keep many people from liking the project, and editors like you that cause so many to say that DMOZ SUCKS.

I've backed up every thing I've said with ODP resources. You've backed up everything you've said with personal attacks. So I can say that you surely are the master debater ;)

Qryztufre, Oct 30, 2007 IP
  3. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The one that "doesn't get it" is the one that keeps bending every thread to a discussion of his personal pet beefs with dmoz. You didn't contribute when you could, now you obsessively attend threads about it to spew belligerance.

As Sam Rayburn said, "Any jack@ss can tear down a barn, but it takes skill to build one". ;)

robjones, Oct 30, 2007 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. That clarifies any questions regarding the editing skills required by DMOZ. :rolleyes:

That's the key point. And, as always, the best way to deal with trolls is to ignore them. Anything else just feeds their egos.

minstrel, Oct 30, 2007 IP
  5. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Gee Minstrel, since you've generously dispensed knowledge about dmoz for years without benefit of training or experience, maybe I should return the favor and give you pointers about your Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? :)

robjones, Oct 30, 2007 IP
  6. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    ok what is the debate about here?

Does Topix (which was started by ODP-founder Skrenta) have lots of listings? Yes, a very large amount. It was done as a staff project with little or no input from the editors. Sites were added automatically and editors told to remove those that did not look good. There was much discussion in the Editor community about it, and many were upset. A lot of links have subsequently been removed. The reasoning given was that it was a valuable resource that should be deeplinked, and, while there are no precedents for doing it on this scale, it has been done for other valuable sites as special cases. Special cases do not make a rule, it just says that there can be and are exceptions.

Is it possible for an SEO to be an editor in the ODP? Yes. Is it ok for them to get paid for listing a site? Yes, as long as they do it in a balanced way, and do not artificially favour those sites. And just because someone lists a site doesn't mean it's going to stay there - any other editor can remove it. Since SEOs obviously could have conflict of interest issues, it is reasonable to assume that their edits are under a lot of scrutiny. Does this make the ODP a paid directory? Not by most people's definitions - most sites are added without any money changing hands.

Are dashboard warnings for editors mandatory? No, but strongly recommended. See http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/meta/features.html#warnings for the details about how this is done.

Now, having stipulated all of this, what is this discussion about, once we get rid of the personal jabs?

Alucard, Oct 30, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's about robjones doing an RZ trolling act and the small fry tagging along to curry favor.

minstrel, Oct 30, 2007 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  8. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Strange, I've said nothing that Alucard below has not said in the post below. How can I not get it, when he is saying the same thing?

Are you saying that he is wrong?

Sometimes I am unsure. All I know is that every time I post I have an editor telling everyone my edit count as that seemingly is an excuse that I do not know what I'm talking about. This in and of itself would not be so bad if I was being corrected or something, but no. Just personal attacks with nothing to give actual knowledge...

It falls down to what Minstrel has said. It's little more then a Troll.

Qryztufre, Oct 30, 2007 IP
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Now that we all agree that DMOZ listings can be bought and sold and DMOZ is aware and approve of it then why not make it open and put a reasonable price for it instead of the usual nonsense from DMOZ editors that are calling it corruption and try to make it a secret, so they can over charge the users for the listings? :rolleyes::)

Alucard, do you know what is the going rate for DMOZ listing that your friends can be happy with, so they won't complain about editors who are selling it on scriptlance for $50? ;)

gworld, Oct 30, 2007 IP
  10. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Not much of a secret, since what I wrote is in the publicly-available guidelines for the project, for all to read.

Alucard, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How much and what is the payment info. Please put details or do we have to contact the editors directly.

Thanks

popotalk, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  12. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Since I am not in the SEO profession, nor have I ever used the services of one, I'm really not qualified to answer that question. I suggest that if you want to employ the services of an SEO you ask elsewhere on this forum - there seem to be plenty hanging around here. They will give you rates for their work, I'm sure, and let you know what they are prepared to do.

Alucard, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  13. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't DMOZ have editors who also do SEO or who knows SEO ? Maybe they can and are prepared to do it. :)

popotalk, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can always refer the people who ask to this thread.

Buy DMOZ listing from DMOZ senior editors

It seems the cost is between $50-$100 for a listing. I posted that thread awhile back and it pissed off some of DMOZ editors here because it is pushing their price down. :)

gworld, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  15. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    An SEO gets paid for his SEO work, just as a webmaster gets paid for building websites. We have both as editors, and they are both certainly welcome to list their clients if the sites qualify to be listed, just as editors are welcome to list their own sites (if they meet our criteria).

The only stipulation to that is they don't list only their own sites and they treat those sites the same way any other site is treated.

Just because an editor is being paid for seo or webmaster work in real life, doesn't mean he's being paid to list those sites in the Directory, but those kind of editors get a higher scrutiny by senior editors, and they have to take a lot more care to be unbiased in their editing.

I know you boys would like to think otherwise, :D, but if you try to bribe an editor, you'll soon find out otherwise, as others have. I, personally, know of three.

I would think an seo/webmaster forum would welcome the fact that many of their own are welcomed as editors, well, the honest ones are, ;), the other kind get found out soon enough and recieve the Golden Boot Award, :D, as some here can testify to, perhaps.

And yeah, I'm an alucard lackey too, he was, in fact, my mentor. (back to editing)

crowbar, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  16. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Don't call it bribe or DMOZ listing fee, call it payment for "SEO work". I wonder how can people not see such a big difference few words make? :rolleyes:

This could have been an interesting part of your post, if you instead posted the name of an editor that you are not lackey to. :D

gworld, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  17. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope its the honest ones which get the boot, ones who lie and pretend to have no connection with listed websites get to cool their own websites as much as they want without anyone ever knowing. :p

Ivan Bajlo, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  18. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. If the subject of the thread had actually been Skrenta, Topix, paid SEOs, etc... *I* would have been the one trolling.

Since you were the one constantly diverting to those rabbit trails, that'd make *you* the one trolling. Thanks for playing.:)

robjones, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry, but Crowbar said we were trying to pass false information, then Anonymously went on about my edit count and putting my own site in. I did try keeping on topic for as long as I could, but it does seem that a few members here can't let things go which in turn makes other members keep things alive.

Go on, re-read the topic, see who pushed it over the edge. It certainly was not me.

Now look at your first post in this thread, you quote me and call me Q-Girl. Want to tell me who the troll is again?

Qryztufre, Oct 31, 2007 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  20. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh god I hope gworld's banning is not for too long, your banal dribble is enough to really drive one potty. Give me his vexatious humor any time compared to your drone.

It seems to me that allowing SEOs into the directory causes more problems that they are worth, but Jude you really need to take Alucard's advice. I tried a search on the "Dirsensei Web Directory" and you don't feature in the first few google pages. Even the crappiest site ranks for its own name. What’s that all about Jude? How can a directory not even rate for its own name. Have you been trying to cheat google?

nebuchadrezzar, Oct 31, 2007 IP