1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Intense Fear of Flight

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Guntzenbach Conrad, Jan 23, 2017.

Can someone console me? I'm flying on this Saturday on a small A320 aircraft for about 4-5 hours, and I'm getting REALLY scared because I have an intense fear of flight.

The funny thing is, I used to literally LOVE to go on airplanes when I was younger, and it was until about 3-4 years ago, when I experienced a turbulence that lasted only a few seconds. It went like this: We were flying in clear air, when all of a sudden, the plane sort of flipped to the side, and went down abruptly. Utensils were thrown, the lights flickered, there was a "bang sound", people were screaming, oh my...

Until now, I hate going on planes so much.

Guntzenbach Conrad, Jan 23, 2017 IP
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ask the doc for some valium or ativan You will wake up at your destination without issue. Liquid melatonin works fairly well too.

Nigel Lew, Jan 23, 2017 IP
  3. Guntzenbach Conrad

Guntzenbach Conrad Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Melatonin will not work, because it only makes your eyes feel heavier, but does not put you to sleep. As for me, there is underlying fear, so I will definitely not go to sleep and will remain fearful.

As for the benzos, any cheaper methods? My country's family doctors don't carry these and psychiatrist will burn a whole in my packet.

Guntzenbach Conrad, Jan 23, 2017 IP
  4. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Understand that flying is one of the safest modes of transportation. The pilots are highly trained professionals, go through constant checks, often including mental health checkups as well as continuous training to ensure they are the best of the best. The aircraft in use today are the worlds safest, they spend millions on the aircraft, for the best technology.

You are safer in the plane, in the hands of professionals, then you are walking down the street. You have nothing to fear. If you really do not feel confident, the perhaps before flying, see a doctor. Perhaps they can prescribe something suitable for you, that could help you relax during your flight. Without knowing your medical history, be wary of simply grabbing and taking medications at random from advice from strangers.

If during the flight, if you start "feeding your fears", then you are gonna freak yourself out for no reason. You can try clearing your mind, try relaxing, or try to focus on something else.

I want to finish by sharing a quote, that as powerful as it is, as a human, it is hard to fully grasp.
    "The only place that fear can exist is in our thoughts of the future. It is a product of our imagination, causing us to fear things that do not at present and may not ever exist. That is near insanity. Do not misunderstand me danger is very real but fear is a choice.”

This quote is from the move 'after earth'. Movie itself was not that fantastic, but worth it for that quote alone.

Now, while you are enjoying that awesome flight of yours, see if you can take some photos from the plane and share them here after you have landed safely.

matt_62, Jan 23, 2017 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    @Guntzenbach Conrad find someone to talk to - nothing specific, just find topics in common and keep the chatter going when you feel anxious. Get absorbed into an audio book, a movie etc.

I did a flight recently and chatted away to the lovely woman next to me - we had lots in common - and it was only after we'd landed that I realised she had been anxious about the flight.

And don't beat yourself up for being scared - what you went through was pretty extreme. Your conscious brain knows the chance of it happening again is minimal but your subconscious is in fight or flight mode. It may take a few flights for your subconscious to catch up.

sarahk, Jan 23, 2017 IP
  6. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Is it the takeoff that you're scared about? It is not as intense as you might remember it being as a kid. You could bring headphones so you can listen to music on the plane to put you more at ease.

dcristo, Jan 23, 2017 IP
  7. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    hey bro, how was your flight, and better yet, can you share just 1 of the best pics you have from the airplane.

matt_62, Jan 30, 2017 IP
  8. Guntzenbach Conrad

Guntzenbach Conrad Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My flight turned out ok. Very smooth this time round. Very friendly people onboard this china southern flight. The pilot waived at me on my way into the plane.

The anxiety is over for now but will start back again in a few days for my outbound flight, probably even worst cause I will most likely be on an aircraft that is about 20 years old (I know this because I will be doing a connecting domestic flight, where they normally use old aircraft for). Not really taken any photos then, but will take some during the outbound trip.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Guntzenbach Conrad, Jan 30, 2017 IP
  9. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just to chime in here.. I fly almost every week.. In the last few years I've had 200+ take offs. I can tell you from first hand experience it's mind over matter. On the occasion there will be something that happens that i've never experienced before and it will make me more alert but it's nothing... I chuckle when someone gets spooked when the plane hits turbulence, turns, rocks, declines/inclines or when the landing gear drops... all of these things happen on every flight and it's the infrequent traveler who gets scared. No reason to be. It's all common.

NetStar, Feb 5, 2017 IP