1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Installing MODs in phpbb forum help!!

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by walweg1010, Aug 25, 2009.

Hi,

Guys, I'm trying to install Welcome PM on First Login mod in my phpBB3 forum, any ideas on how to install? This is my first forum I need some helps.

Thanks in advance..

walweg1010, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  2. MhW

MhW Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey,

Well, seems as though you haven't chosen the easiest MOD as your first installation, but hey...no harm in starting at the deep end.

First thing to remember, it not to panic. On their first MOD installation many people are overwhelmed by the fact they'll be editing the main PHP files, really...it's just a case of copy / paste, follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

So...in response to your question, download the MOD and extract it to your desktop. In the specific MOD you've downloaded there are several files and folders:

• contrib (this is a folder that the MOD author can use to include additional docmentation)
    • root (everything in this folder should be uploaded to its corresponding folder on your phpBB installation)
    • install.xml (the main install instructions)
    • license.txt (self explanatory)
    • modx.prosilver.en.xsl (Stylesheet for the install file)

So, double click the install.xml file. It should open in your default web browser, if it asks which program to open in, choose Firefox or chrome, I'd have some trouble in the past opening these files in IE (but that might just be me).

Scroll past all the jargon at the top of the page until you reach the first code box, titled: "SQL". Copy and paste everything inside this code box, then open phpmyadmin, go to your forum's database...click the SQL tab, paste the code and click GO. This will add additional tables to the phpBB database that will be used by the MOD.

Then, as above uploading everything from the "root" folder to its corresponding folder in your phpBB installation. For example /root/adm/style/ contains two html files in this example, so you'd use an FTP client to upload those two folders to /phpBB3/adm/style/ ... do this process for everything in the "root" folder and move on.

Finally, you just have to copy / paste according to the instructions. So in this case, the first instructions says to open includes/constants.php . So via an FTP client find /phpBB3/includes/constants.php and download it. Then open it in either a code editor such as Dreamweaver, although notepad will suffice if you haven't got Dreamweaver or another code editor.

Then it says to "Find"
    // Additional constants
    Code (markup):
    So, with the file in your code editor / notepad, find the above line. Quickest way to do this is Ctrl+F or you "could" spend hours reading through line by line. Once you've found it, look for the next intruction...which is..."Add After:"
    define('WPM_CONFIG_ID', 1);
    Code (markup):
    So...this means paste the line of code "after" the line you've just found. It's that simple. Same again for the next intruction, find:
    ?>
    Code (markup):
    Then it says, "Add before":
    define('WPM_TABLE',					$table_prefix . 'wpm');
    Code (markup):
    So you'd take the code, and add it "BEFORE" the ?> you just found. Do this for the other files it mentions in the install.xml folder and you'll be fine. ;)

If you're still stuck, try a simple MOD such as Advanced Quick Reply or even use a video tutorial as an example. This one is particularly helpful in full screen / HD.

Good luck :)

MhW, Aug 25, 2009 IP
    buffalo and dynashox like this.
  3. walweg1010

walweg1010 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for this stunning info bro, BTW in uploading to my cpanel can I use file manager instead of FTP? Sorry for the inconvenient..

Thanks

walweg1010, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  4. MhW

MhW Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sure :)

Only problem you'll find is that (specifically with big mods), it will take an age to upload all of the files. At least with an FTP client you can simply drag / drop from your desktop and onto the FTP client, you can even add everything to a transfer queue and hit start to let everything upload at once. However, using the cPanel file manager uploader you'll have to visit each directory one by one, and then upload the files one by one.

So in response to your question...yes, but it will take much longer. :eek:

MhW, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  5. dynashox

dynashox Premium Member Staff

Best Answers:
    Sure you can. But I always prefer to use FTP because it make uploading process much faster.

- Dynashox -

dynashox, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  6. walweg1010

walweg1010 Member

Best Answers:

IC.. Isn't possible if I upload a zip file afterwards I'll extract it like what I've did when I change the style?

walweg1010, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  7. MhW

MhW Active Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly, I don't think so.

When you upload a .zip via cPanel and extract it, all of the files are extracted to the same directory. Seeing as there are files to upload to multiple directories if you really wanted you could make a .zip for each directory and then upload that, then extract. However if there are only 2 or 3 files to upload I honestly don't see the point. In addition to that, I'm not sure what would happen if you compressed the "root" folder, uploaded it and extracted it. I'm guessing it would overwrite all the folders such as adm, includes, etc etc...

Using an FTP client will be your best bet. I know some people are reluctant to use them, but honestly, you'll find it much more convenient. :eek:

MhW, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  8. walweg1010

walweg1010 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your prompt reply bro.. and your time too.. I'll figure out on this, honestly I never yet use a FTP, I heard filezilla I'll digg it and make a try..

walweg1010, Aug 26, 2009 IP