1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Inside the Green Lizard 2011

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Alex HPC, Apr 17, 2011.

Hello All the Known or Anomymous Editors,

I readed many posts about ODP and far away from FAQ : when, why and how ; I would like submiting 2 questions and hope to have reply in weeks, months or years ...
    1) How is Dmoz today ? is it still the largest directory of the web, can we have some statistics and comments ?
    2) Is Dmoz has changed since its beginning ? Otherwise are there developements or reforms within Dmoz in the near future to meet the wait and need of webmasters nowaday .
    SEMrush
    Thanks a lot and and forgive me if I make fault in English
    alex

Alex HPC, Apr 17, 2011 IP
    SEMrush
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1. It's fine when I looked yesterday.
    2. Yes there are changes, in the back end, but glad to say we still cater for the end user, not a listing service for wenmasters and we still have no concern if any value is added to any site we list, that is not our concern.

DMOZ was created for those who wish to use categorised data for searching the web and editors to build categories as their hobby and need to volunteer to work in any section and editors can work as much or as little as they wish, so long as it is more than one edit a month, to keep their account active.

Thanks for your concern DMOZ is fit and well.

Anonymously, Apr 17, 2011 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1) How is Dmoz today ? is it still the largest directory of the web, can we have some statistics and comments ?
    It is still the largest, but it's also the oldest, and it seems they skipped spring cleaning a few times... as in, it is likely not all that hard to be bigger when you are laced with dead, missing, inaccurate, outdated, and other listings that do not meet the criteria for a listing.

Its front page claims 4,868,291 sites - 90,614 editors - over 1,006,417 categories, but that by most accounts is inaccurate. The number of editors it seems can only go up, yet there are only 6,000 or so active editors... so I guess it should not be all that hard to speculate about the number of sites & categories!

2) Is Dmoz has changed since its beginning ? Otherwise are there developements or reforms within Dmoz in the near future to meet the wait and need of webmasters nowaday .

Its not changed all that much, if you look, the guidelines in most cases have not been touched in YEARS, it's awards page has not been added to in nearly a decade, and the bottom of the page still claims it's owned by netscape!

It was started to give a place to categorize content, as at the time search engines sucked. It was also started to promote the sites of the creators...though it seems that people disagree with me on that one *boggles*

There seems to be a DMOZ2.0 coming, but heh, they keep breaking the place rather then updating it... the editors are not talking, and it seems they are not talking due to AOL not communicating with them, which makes perfect sense as non-communication seems to be the mainstay within the ODP.

for more info check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Directory_Project

Ask around here about how they feel about webmasters, lol... they are not here for you, they are here for the end user, which they seemingly wont say who that is...

Qryztufre, Apr 18, 2011 IP