1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Inktomi Paid Inclusion

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by houseroy, Mar 27, 2004.

If I get paid inclusion for Inktomi engines (MSN, Hotbot, etc), will they only index the one page that I submit or will they also index all linked pages? I have heard conflicting reports concerning this.

houseroy, Mar 27, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I've never paid, but I would have to assume they would do the whole domain...

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 27, 2004 IP
  3. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I would assume that as long as everything is linked properly they would hit all your pages. I've never done been a big fan of paid inclusion though, so I could be wrong. My 2 cents - use the money you would spend with them on an Adwords camapign :)

GuyFromChicago, Mar 27, 2004 IP
  4. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    You guys are both wrong. But the point is moot. Because I doon't think Inktomi is taking anymore PFIs. Starting April 15 the only way to get into Yahoo, who own and are using Inktomi's results, will be through the new Overture Site Match PFI and PPC service.

However when you could PFI in Inktomi in the past you had to pay for every page. So most people only paid to have their home page listed. What you got for you money was a promise to recrawl your page every 48 hours. So it was useful for finetuning keywords etc.

Now Inktomi had a normal free spider that was out crawling site like every other search engine. So if you wanted to wait and live with their public spiders update schedule you didn't have to pay at all.

What a lot of people did is pay for their home page when the site was brand new. That got you into the index in 48 hours. Then at the end of the year when the spider had found their site they did not renew the PFI.

One final note. You had to PFI for one year. But you could change the domain on the account. So in the course of a year you could have several pages benefit from the 48 hour crawl and inclusion.

compar, Mar 27, 2004 IP
  5. OnSpec

OnSpec Peon

Best Answers:

Thanks fore the info. Are you aware if it spiders all pages on your site?

OnSpec, Mar 28, 2004 IP
  6. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    The free spider hits my main site about every other week.

GuyFromChicago, Mar 28, 2004 IP
  7. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes The free spider spidered everything like another bot or spider. However PFI only got you one page crawled.

compar, Mar 28, 2004 IP