1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Initial Navigation Report in Google Analytics

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by Vera77, Feb 13, 2007.

Hi,
    I have some trouble interpreting the data displayed in the Initial Navigation Report.
    It looks like there are some people going to the same page they were coming from!

For example: the report shows that 5000 visitors begin their navigation from "hello.php", 300 of them continue their navigation on .... "hello.php"!
    Whenever I click on the little "+" button, I find that a certain percentage of visitors (5-10 %) go to the same page they were coming from! Even if some visitors may press the F5 key, the rates are too high and there's no reason why they should refresh the page voluntarily.

I checked the page code for different pages, but I didn't find anything that could explain these data (the page is not automatically refreshed...). Plus, it happens with almost all the pages I'm tracking (jsp, php, simple html pages!). Maybe the Google Analytics code is the problem...

Anyone had this problem? Or anyone knows what's the correct interpretation of these data?

Thanks for your help

Vera77, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  2. sudoku

sudoku Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen the same thing, which I have chalked up to pdf links from the page which aren't on Analytics. That is, I assume people are opening the pdf inside the browser window, printing it, hitting their back button, and thus "navigating" from the page to itself as far as Google is concerned.

If someone else has a better story, I'd be curious to hear it!

sudoku, Feb 13, 2007 IP