1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Infraction for bad english

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by crivion, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Better just make 'em take a compulsory TOEFL for signing up on DP that'd bring people with good english and cut the spammers..yeah right.

Helvetii, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  2. alexispetrov

alexispetrov Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not saying to give infractions to people who have broken English - just those where it is absolutely incomprehensible. If the posts aren't readable on any level, then obviously they don't belong in an English forum.

alexispetrov, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  3. bhuppi890109

bhuppi890109 Member

Best Answers:
    we should not give the infraction for this

bhuppi890109, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  4. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They should however ban on site people that post 1 - 2 fluffball posts per minute as part of a paid campaign just to promote sigs. Give it a rest already.:mad:

robjones, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  5. danx10

danx10 Peon

Best Answers:
    Looking at DP's alexa the majority of its traffic is non-european, theirfore not everyone may have english as their native language (this could be a disadvantage towards those 'bad' english members). I think its unfair banning members due to 'bad' english, as everyone should have equal chances no matter what language, limiting DP to fluent english only members, is just harsh and would effect DP's traffic.

However I do understood why some may agree, as it can lead to bad communication.

danx10, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  6. prosiaczq

prosiaczq Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you're just kidding us. It's stupid. A lot of users (like me) have every day talks in other leanguages, because they aren't British or American.

prosiaczq, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  7. alexispetrov

alexispetrov Peon

Best Answers:
    You wouldn't be included I don't think. I could understand what you said there perfectly; it's only people who just can't speak English at all who irritate me by posting here.

Your English is fine :)

alexispetrov, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  8. newbie191

newbie191 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @OP
    I think this is the most ridiculous suggestion I have ever seen here. Unlike warrior forum and wicked fire this forum gets major portion of its traffic from countries like India and Pakistan.
    I mean we are not sitting in english exam here that we should fear for our grads and double check what we write. This is a webmaster forum for faak sake not english learning community.
    All people who think typing with absolutely zero spelling and grammar mistakes should be a mandatory requirement to participate in a webmaster forum should get lives shoved up their asses. What makes you think that if we Asians write in bad english we aren't good freelancers or webmasters or seos?Seriously Op think about it. English is my 3rd or 4th language and in my opinion if my message is fully conveyed to the other people then it is sufficient, why should I bother to double check my spellings grammar even if I am typing in broken english it is OK by me. Its your problem if you don't understand it. Most people here have better IQs.

newbie191, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  9. Serious Workers

Serious Workers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You got it right, he is no more. :rolleyes:

Serious Workers, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  10. masterrio

masterrio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    with due respect, I wouldn't honestly support such a suggestion
    its better to warn him off to perfect english, so that its understandable at least,
    if one is trying to criticize some one with his bad english, then I wouldn't mind a few infraction pts to him, else I really wouldn't like to see a infraction for an grammatical mistake probably

masterrio, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  11. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't want the mods to die of exhaustion. So I will not support this idea.

lightless, Jul 4, 2010 IP
    nitinleew likes this.
  12. nitinleew

nitinleew Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If so,This forum just for english speaking countries..:(

nitinleew, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  13. alexispetrov

alexispetrov Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm NOT saying for grammatical mistakes - I'm saying about English that is utterly incomprehensible. Have you ever read a post here that you absolutely can't understand? Like complete and utter nonsense? Because that's what I'm talking about - not really bad English even, just the posts that NO ONE can even read.

alexispetrov, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  14. nnsjw702

nnsjw702 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Banning people for just bad english wouldn't be a good for DP as people from India and pakistan are increasing so much day by day.

So, A better solution for this question could be giving a warning for 3 times or so, and still if the person continues then anyway DP or any one else on Dp would not be benefited by that person.

Hence, eventually we person should be banned with bad english after giving a specific number of warnings and Infractions but this rule should not be very strict, as sometimes it takes time and sudden apply of the rule will definetly affect DP.

Thats my view.

nnsjw702, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  15. c_programmer

c_programmer Peon

Best Answers:
    Infraction for horrible English, I'm in support as long as it is only for those who are not trying. The grammar of people here is absolutely pathetic. I know the difference between someone who doesn't speak good English and someone who is not even trying and most are not even trying.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
    c_programmer, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  16. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone notices the irony? ;)

Helvetii, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  17. c_programmer

c_programmer Peon

Best Answers:
    Missing two letters on my keyboard is very different than people who aren't even trying to speak English. It would be ironic if my post was "english here is pathetic ! being spokn by sm peoples on the boards"

c_programmer, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  18. crivion

crivion Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    yes no worries, I'm not talking about these kind of "errors" too.
    I will come out with examples later

crivion, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  19. albinoir

albinoir Peon

Best Answers:
    Perhaps this makes sense, but only for the authors of unreadable threads. Though I have never come across such threads.. (maybe they were removed just in time) Actually, I have never had any problems with understanding someone here.

Can you please show some examples of bad English, which deserves an infraction? (maybe the one that prompted you to create this thread :)

albinoir, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  20. newcity

newcity Peon

Best Answers:
    I am totally fine with this suggestion, only if it is applied in right situation. If a person has horrible grammar , he should be warned , and in case the user doesn't care , an infraction wouldn't hurt.

newcity, Jul 5, 2010 IP