1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

[Indians] Why do most indians go to foreign country?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by olddocks, Dec 7, 2008.

To study or to make more money? or it is a matter of prestige.

I have become very jealous of many indians in a foreign country earning $5k monthly (dont know just i heard) and here in India as a webmaster i make just $500. :( I know its too little but i am very happy and living with it.

I had an opportunity when i was student to go to US once, but i wasted it. I really feel jealous about my friends when their parents proudly say they are living in USA/UK/Australia and other countries whereas my parents cant say that.

I daily look myself in the mirror and truly dont know whether to cry or feel happy about the decision i made. :D

Whats your opinion on this?

olddocks, Dec 7, 2008 IP
    deluxdon likes this.
  2. sudarshanwagh

sudarshanwagh Peon

Best Answers:
    Not all Indians went to U.S. or U.K. for study. Many went there for making money & of course for prestige. I thought that whethere we went to out of state or not is not important.You have to think whrethere I am Happy here or I would be more happy by going there.It is not important what people say.
    It is important what you think.

sudarshanwagh, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  3. mdvasanth86

mdvasanth86 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Living life thinking what other would say is not going to be useful....
    Live your life the way you want....
    enjoy. :)

mdvasanth86, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  4. real_skinner

real_skinner Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think most of them travel to do business. More like Chinese, they go to other part of the world to do business.

And I think it's in their blood to do any kind of business :p And they are good at it...

real_skinner, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  5. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i think the emergence of internet changed the way we go and work in foreign country. Look at IT companies and how they outsource the work. Not to mention about those people earning money in internet. You sit here in india, earn in USD and enjoy the money here in rupees. :D

olddocks, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  6. web_hunk

web_hunk Peon

Best Answers:
    Mostly people go abroad to earn money but some people do think that its a matter of prestige. But if you are happy with what you are doing, there is nothing like that. And the most important think is that you are living with your family and they are away from their home. :)

web_hunk, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  7. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest you that do take a while to come to any decision but once you decide on anything, be firm and stand on your ground....come what may....
    It is not good to reflect on yourself thinking of what others have to say...

Enjoy....what you have....
    See....there is always something positive coming out...if you care to find.

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  8. munnaaa

munnaaa Banned

Best Answers:
    drainbrain karne k liye :p

munnaaa, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  9. saurabhj

saurabhj Banned

Best Answers:
    Most of the indians are going there for earning much money

saurabhj, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  10. OBCG

OBCG Peon

Best Answers:
    Cost of living in the US is much different. I would just stay home near the family..

:)

OBCG, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  11. nikhilg

nikhilg Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

I also live in India and yes if I could live my life again I would go to the west (Europe or the US) the first chance I got.

Now what I have to say may ruffle the feathers of some Indians here but this is what I really think:

1) In India there is a lot of stress on family values. Too much stress in fact. If you are a free thinker and disagree with your parents on certain points you must be prepared to pay the price. Children are supposed to be obedient to their parents.. If you have the reputation of a disobedient son then also be prepared to pay the price.

In India this takes the form of social pressure and harassment, harassment on the job, social ostracism and the like. I have had my career ruined because of the way I behaved when I was young with my parents and elders. High price to pay for not being mature when you are young.

2) In India the legal system and the police is corrupt and pathetic. As a result a lot of people (though not the majority by any means) are not scared of the law. In the US or Europe if a person cheats you and breaks the law you can obtain redressal through the courts. In India you may have to wait for 15 years simply for your case to come up for hearing. And then since the courts can also perhaps be bribed there is no guarantee of obtaining justice.

Justice delayed is justice denied in any case.

I was the victim of a crime many years back and suffered due to corrupt police officals and a delayed judicial process.

Also you will find that people behave unethically in business transactions and there is much more chance of being cheated and of professionals deliberately misguiding you and giving you wrong advice than in the west. This is because they know that you have simply no redressal through the legal system.

There are a lot good points to living in Iindia of course. the cost of living is low, you can enjoy the companionship of your family members, people are under less stress and pressure than you would find in the West, and also I think people of India are friendlier and there is a lot more social interaction than in the west. You will not face any racial prejudice (you are living in your own country after all) and also you get to understand and imbibe 2 different cultures and languages simultaneously (the Indian culture and Indian languages and the culture of the west).

So it is a complex choice but if you get the chance - go west even now. You will have your freedom and you will live in a country where people are more law abiding than in India (actually i have never lived in the west. But at the very least it can be said that the legal system is more effective in delivering justice in the west than in India)

So these are my thouhts after 44 years of living in India. I am sure to offend some people but we live in a democracy with fundamental rights and I have a right to my opinion (Hope I do not receive an infraction though or get banned from this forum - I think I will take that chance).

regards

Nikhil

nikhilg, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  12. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Obviously Indians go to foreign countries just to earn a lot money, nothing else ;)

Good thing is that evenif you earn $500 (compare to few indians who earns $5k/month as you said), you are still very happy and living with it. I bet that they are not living life as you.

DON.

deluxdon, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  13. dairyman

dairyman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The cost of living in a foreign country is relatively higher when compared to that in India and hence the $5K may look like a very big amount when converted into Indian currency but it is not that much in their own country.

Be content with what you have and you too can go to Europe or US and earn in a big way. Plan your life and settle and enjoy accordingly :)

dairyman, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  14. EvcRo

EvcRo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Indians like other people are leaving their country hoping for a better life...
    I know that they are hard working, devoted and very smart:)

EvcRo, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  15. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    and what about the prestige issue? Even though you earn 30k rupees monthly in india, people still only give more respect those who earn from foreign country. why is it so? i feel really sad about this :(

and thanks deluxon :D so comforting.

olddocks, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  16. contentedge

contentedge Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is easily one of the most sensible posts I've seen in this forum in a while. Very good points.

contentedge, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  17. mdvasanth86

mdvasanth86 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree on that. That post would have earned at least $6
    in the BST section... seriously..!

mdvasanth86, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  18. sarirejo

sarirejo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    is that unique content?
    not copy paste... :p

sarirejo, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  19. webslicers.com

webslicers.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think you should feel bad about not going to the US. I mean, you may not earn as much as the other Indians are making by working in other countries but if you are happy and you are living a comfortable life, then that might just be enough for you.

Others think, especially those in third world countries, that living in the US, UK or Australia or wherever is the best move to give their families back home a decent life but I don't think so. As long as you and your family do not live within your means, then any amount of income won't be enough for you, no matter where you are in the world.

For me, no amount of money is worth leaving your family and friends behind. It's always nice to come home to a loving family and have good meal together after a hard day's work and hang out with good old friends the way you used to. :)

webslicers.com, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  20. jeewant_gupta_051275

jeewant_gupta_051275 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dude there is a saying in Punjabi - "APNE GHAR DA RAAJA"- meaning u are a king in your own backyard- so stick to it..PEACE!

jeewant_gupta_051275, Dec 8, 2008 IP