1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Index or noindex Wordpress category archives with overlapping content.

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by SC Fish, May 30, 2016.

I am creating a Wordpress site that relies heavily on category archives to show relevant excerpts.

The point of the site is for people to find audio tracks they can licence. Each track has a page with audio file and info.

They can either search on the site by keyword or else go to a category menu (which could be a genre, era or a mood). The thing is a track could have three or for possible categories, so the category archives may have a lot of duplicate content.

For example a slow blues track might be in all of these categories: blues, 40s, slow, sad, sleazy.

There could be about fifty categories, plus a category that everything is in

My question is do I index or noindex each category archive?

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    SC Fish, May 30, 2016 IP
  2. daica85

daica85 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should remain index for all categories, people may come to your website by searching these categories on Google. However, I have a little bit confuse about your categories, why don't you use tags instead of categories in your example "categories: blues, 40s, slow, sad, sleazy.". I think you should restructure and classify which parts are for categories and which are just for tags.
    I hope this help.

daica85, Jun 10, 2016 IP
  3. SC Fish

SC Fish Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm not sue tags would work, canyou show a page of tag excerpts like you can with a category archive?

SC Fish, Jun 10, 2016 IP