1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Increase Image Size without Losing Pixel Quality

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Bohol, Sep 10, 2008.

1. vanggelica

vanggelica Peon

Best Answers:
    you can set it when going on a the storage.

vanggelica, Jan 2, 2012 IP
  2. MoneyMaker1888

MoneyMaker1888 Member

Best Answers:
    That's impossible. Pixels don't work like that. But there are other ways of covering the image quality up and imposing it to be better, but the quality will always be reduced when upscaled.

MoneyMaker1888, Jan 3, 2012 IP
  3. aaron.paspe

aaron.paspe Peon

Best Answers:
    Up scaling is not a good idea... you need to have a high resolution photo. The pixel will diminish every time you scale it up. hence it is not a good idea.

aaron.paspe, Jan 3, 2012 IP
  4. zeleret

zeleret Peon

Best Answers:
    Long explanation.

Thank you for your share...

zeleret, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  5. ceekeigh

ceekeigh Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll go +1 for this. Resizing a picture would depend on its resolution.

ceekeigh, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  6. codexehow

codexehow Peon

Best Answers:
    The best way to do this is with a plug-in made specifically for image enlargement. I use AlienSkin BlowUp, myself. There are others. Image enlargement of raster images is tricky, and while Photoshop does a decent job for small enlargements, it will pixellate the hell out of larger jobs.

codexehow, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  7. grim111

grim111 Banned

Best Answers:
    NO way!
    Take a bubble gum, then squash it to some round form and pull it in both ways. It wont last long, soon you will see holes, same with an image it won't look nice unless this is not a vector image. Good luck

grim111, Feb 8, 2012 IP
  8. chrismcgowan

chrismcgowan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think the best tool for this is "Blow Up" from Alien Skin Software, but it cost $199:
    alienskin.com/blowup/

chrismcgowan, Feb 28, 2012 IP
  9. AlexandrBlinov

AlexandrBlinov Peon

Best Answers:
    You know, there is one opinion among photographers about quality of pictures: when you are going to increase picture you should know that you will loose good quality. If you are planning to enlarge your image for your own album it will not be so visible. But if you going to print it in professional goals you should know that your picture will be more blur after increasing it in several times for some photoshop galleries or magazines.

AlexandrBlinov, Mar 17, 2012 IP
  10. zajaczekol

zajaczekol Member

Best Answers:
    the only thing you can always resize is vector.
    Photoshop is very good to resizing.

zajaczekol, Aug 21, 2012 IP
  11. Pocketmouse

Pocketmouse Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't tried this on photo's yet, but I work with 2d video game sprites and I scaled a 96px by 128px sprite sheet up to double the size with this technique I figured out just by messing around. I did this in Photoshop CS3 but I am pretty sure you can do it in any version of Photoshop.

1. Go to Image > Image Size (Ctrl + Alt + I) Replace Ctrl with Command on a Mac. Here you'll want to scale the image up by double the amount you want the final image to be. Example: I scaled my image up by 400% because I wanted it to be 200% in the end. To make the math easier I recommend switching from pixels to percent in the drop-down box- but that's just my personal preference, if you already know the dimensions you need just multiply them by 2. I promise my next steps won't be as long winded.

2. I'm sure you noticed the image lost lots of quality in the scaling, we are going to counter that, so don't worry. Go to Filter > Pixelate > Facet.

3. Filter > Sharpen > Sharpen Edges.

4. Filter > Pixelate > Mosaic > Amount: 2

5. Image > Image Size > Switch the units to Pixels next to the length and width to Percent. and type in 50 for Length and Width.

6. Finally Just sharpen the image up with Filter > Sharpen > Sharpen Edges.

I hope this worked out for you guys! Like I said before I work with Video Game sprites so I'm not sure how well it'll work out with photos. Also if the image ends up pixelated you may want to try starting over but taking out step 4.

Pocketmouse, Jul 18, 2013 IP