1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

In search of CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by driven, Jul 3, 2005.

I'm in search of a CMS software for my new website and need recommendations. I was going to use Squarespace, which was more than enough for what I needed but I also want to explore other options as well. The problem with Squarespace is that I don't think there software allows for flash banners- I'm considering a nice little flash banner at the top of my page.

I also need the software to be easily installed. This means it should have a cPanel or Fantastico feature to it. It should also have a pretty decent blog engine/software to it. If it doesn't, then I'd like to able to install a blog software like Wordpress onto it. I had considered Mambo, but they have more features than I care to have in a CMS.

The CMS should also run on XHTML/CSS as well. It should a have a WYISYG editor for the backend admin side. I also hear that PHP is good for this sort of stuff as well because it allows for SE friendly design and such.

So that is my long list of wants in a CMS :) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks and happy 4th.

driven, Jul 3, 2005 IP
  2. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    I am happy with Drupal, though it is not suitable for every project.. It has wysiwyg as mod, and is se friendly, comes with Fantastico.

subseo, Jul 3, 2005 IP
  3. driven

driven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you there is a chart out there that will breakdown most of the major CMSs out there and what their capabilities are? That would be helpful.

driven, Jul 3, 2005 IP
  4. biggazillakilla

biggazillakilla Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've been using Mambo for a couple of weeks. So far, so good.
    Check here:

http://www.opensourcecms.com/

biggazillakilla, Jul 3, 2005 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Mambo is fantastic. I have 4 sites using it although only 2 have gone live - it's easy for basic cms requirements and totally flexible for others. My 4th site (for a client) will be unrecognisable as a Mambo site, yet it relies heavily on the infrastructure for it's rapid development. I'll let you know when it's launched if you like ;)

Sarah

sarahk, Jul 5, 2005 IP
  6. clubbin714

clubbin714 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with bigga and sarah. Mambo is one of the best open source applications I have ever run across. Simple yet very effective.

clubbin714, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  7. [HC]D-Man

[HC]D-Man Peon

Best Answers:
    www(dot)cmsmatrix(dot)org

Open Source CMS is also good... but cmsmatrix lists quite a few more. Good luck with your hunt for the best CMS for you!

[HC]D-Man, Jul 13, 2005 IP
    SEbasic likes this.
  8. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    SEbasic, Jul 13, 2005 IP
  9. [HC]D-Man

[HC]D-Man Peon

Best Answers:
    No problem, glad I could help. ;)

I've used it many times in the past - it's a good way to make comparisons, or find exactly what you need...

[HC]D-Man, Jul 13, 2005 IP
  10. m8tr

m8tr Peon

Best Answers:
    Which would you say is the best out of Mambo and WordPress, I looking to impliment one of these 2, but have not decided on which one yet.

m8tr, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I have both.

One is for blogging and getting comments, managing users, links and automating pinging and is very good. It lets me write pages of code and there are lots of hacks and plugins.

The other does a psuedo blogging, no comments, no pings. It handles articles, images, users, feeds, links, out of the box. There are lots of hacks and plugins. However Mambo is not a blogging tool. It is a Content Management System that just so happens to do a bit of blogging.

They are worlds apart and before I can say which is "best" I'd need to know what you need. Mambo takes a bit more work to understand and run - because it can do so much more. WordPress is simple.

Tell us what you need, we'll make recommendations, if you like...

Sarah

sarahk, Jul 15, 2005 IP
    driven likes this.
  12. driven

driven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm...I'm looking for something in the middle. I will be having a blog on the website (aren't we all). It's nothing too fancy. Something like these sites are fine;

http://www.gevity.com/
    http://www.hopstudios.com/

However, I do want to make sure that the blog entries shows up on the welcome page of my site as opposed to just having a link to the blog. But I guess that might be more of a programming/coding thing that I should get the designer to take care of.

I will probably have a couple of my partners blogging as well. I had considered Expression Engine's CMS, but I'm too cheap to pay $299 for their CMS and then have to pay a web designer as well on top of that :)

and the WYSIYG editor is good too. I'm not looking to build some fancy schamncy web portal. But for my clients, it will probably range from simple brochure sites to total CMS.

Does this help at all Sarah and all.

driven, Jul 18, 2005 IP