1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Improving my article writing... ?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Excess, May 4, 2007.

Hey there all... I am new to Digital Point and also new to web publishing. My skills are average.

I want to know how I can improve on my writing articles. On everything like Research, Structure, Layout, Writing style and Writing for the Web.

I am looking for practical steps to take. I am also open to any advice.

Thanks DP!

Excess, May 4, 2007 IP
  2. roddma

roddma Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    ID say the main thing is brushing up on grammar skills. Many articles get rejected becasue of poor grammar and spelling

roddma, May 4, 2007 IP
  3. Idiot Inside

Idiot Inside Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Reading and more reading...

Idiot Inside, May 4, 2007 IP
  4. Excess

Excess Peon

Best Answers:
    I am covered on that front. I have excellent spelling ability and pretty good grammar. I think I am looking more information on the flow of the article and the layout of the information in a way that its clear.

I've heard this before too. Do you mean reading as in magazines, novels etc? It makes sense to do so... thanks!

Excess, May 5, 2007 IP
  5. Excess

Excess Peon

Best Answers:
    OH and this is a big one. Research!

Do you people do research on topics you are not familiar with?

Excess, May 5, 2007 IP
  6. articleprincess

articleprincess Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course!!
    Even if you think you have a great deal of knowledge about a certain subject, it is still worth researching it, so that the information you are providing is as up-to-date as possible and so that you have all view points covered (this will ensure that your writing is neutral, if that is the aim).
    Research is important for writing an informative article, but also to help with the syntax and flow.
    It is very difficult to write an article that is interesting and informative if you dont know what you are writing about!!!

articleprincess, May 5, 2007 IP
  7. Correctus

Correctus Straight Edge

Best Answers:
    I always suggest any budding article writers to go and READ. You know a lot on what you are going to write about but, your way of writing should be good. So... go to the library and read novels, they rock and help you a lot.

IT

Correctus, May 5, 2007 IP
  8. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Reading is something most, if not all, top writers do often.

What should you read? Well, first you need to decide what it is you're going to focus on as a format. Let's say articles (press releases, sales letters and so forth are other formats).

Next, ask yourself what you want to hone in on. Let's say it's travel and business.

From here, you can see that you should be reading travel and business articles. Look for credible Internet sites, newspapers and magazines. Read as much as you can.

Here's why this is one important step. You can have PERFECT grammar, but your articles can still be crap.

If you're really interested in going upward, read some books on writing or look into a degree in journalism (print). Usually, you can major in something else and still get into some good journalism classes if your college offers it. My point was that college + j-classes is a solid move.

Reading novels is a waste of time if you're not going to be a novel writer. It's a completely different style. In fact, this is an error lots of newbie and lowbie writers make. They try writing an article like it's some mystery novel. Not good.

For instance, if you wanted to become a good headline writer, you wouldn't read some testimonial text on the back of a book, you'd read headline after headline.

As to research, your skill MIGHT grow with practice. However, it's important that you build a good foundation first. I believe there are some books out there on how to research. Many colleges offer classes on this subject. And if you go to college, it will be something you learn and practice.

Research goes well beyond simply typing in stuff into Google (or whatever SE).

If you want to learn how to write for the Internet specifically, I'd recommend going to top newspaper sites and reading their stuff. Look at their layout. Also take a look at articles on Yahoo and CNN. This will give you a good idea on what works, because these organizations spend a lot of time/money on researching visitor behavior.

Good Luck!

marketjunction, May 5, 2007 IP
  9. Creative Copywriting

Creative Copywriting Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have to agree with MarketJunction, novel writing and article writing are entirely different entities. If you are looking to improve your articling skill spend some time reviewing sits like ezine and goarticles. Research is a huge part of accurate article writing, if you don't know your topic your readers will notice.

Creative Copywriting, May 7, 2007 IP
  10. Excess

Excess Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you :)

Excess, May 7, 2007 IP
  11. nadish

nadish Peon

Best Answers:
    buy some plr's and manually rewrite it.

nadish, May 8, 2007 IP
  12. shuttle

shuttle Active Member

Best Answers:
    read, read and then read again. The more you know about different styles, ways and techniques of writing the better you will write. Each media wants its special thing. Like, for example, when you write for newspapers and magazines you use one style and way of expressing. For forums, blogs and websites you use a different approach. Then you have the e-zines, article directories and so on. When you reach the stage to distinguish the differences in writing for each one of these you will then have the stepping stone to move on. And remember, writing is here for the sake of serving new and useful info to the readers. If you serve good writing with a newsworthy content which is of help to the readers you might have the chance to become a good writer. Well, at least I think so.

shuttle, May 8, 2007 IP
  13. southwark

southwark Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with the earlier posters, reading is an absolute
    necessity for any writer.

I would also add that there are very many good books
    in the library and shops on writing, writing style, article
    writing, and just about everything else. Read some of
    those too.

Each writer has their own approach and points of view
    on the subject of writing so you should read around both
    online and in books to form your own but I would say this
    about web article writing. In my experience a good essay
    writer would make a good web article writer and essay
    writing is a good skill to master as a foundation for any
    writing task.

Phil

southwark, May 14, 2007 IP
  14. nadish

nadish Peon

Best Answers:
    1 foolish tip, spin the same article 5 times and destroy its quality :p

nadish, May 15, 2007 IP
  15. pstone

pstone Peon

Best Answers:
    Gary Hilberd has a really nice collection of sales letters where people can find and learn about various techniques and ways of witting foe the web.

pstone, May 15, 2007 IP
  16. CopyExpert

CopyExpert Peon

Best Answers:
    Could you please provide any link to his collection as I can't seem to find any...:( Many thanks in advance!

CopyExpert, May 24, 2007 IP
  17. Kontent.solutions

Kontent.solutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you engage your readers ?

Thats the best way to write an article.

It should be such that the reader, is anxious to know what next.

You get more visibility, more eyballs roll over your article and eventually more profitable.

~G

Kontent.solutions, May 24, 2007 IP
  18. garyc40

garyc40 Peon

Best Answers:
    In fact his name is Gary Halbert, not Gary Hilberd.
    Here is the link to his newsletters:
    http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/
    I enjoy reading it everyday, and again and again.

garyc40, May 24, 2007 IP
  19. bested

bested Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest watching TV, it's a great way to increase traffic on your desk.... what?

nah, read some books, suck in the writing styles :)

bested, May 24, 2007 IP
  20. CopyExpert

CopyExpert Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the link, garyc40!
    As for me, I agree that reading and studying theory is really important - but keep practicing, too. You may have lots of good ideas in your head but putting them down on paper - or typing them in is a bit different. The 'what if' method never fails.
    Some gurus also suggest getting a swipe file where you collect all the successful ads, articles, etc.
    You don't need to reinvent the wheel, make use of the tested cars :)

CopyExpert, May 25, 2007 IP