1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

improve ranks by resubmitting every month?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by wsks, May 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Just wondering, i have been looking at a few SEO programs and websites and major search engines, and it seems alot of them offer to resubmit your website to major search engine every month or every few months. Does this affect your ranking? if not why are SEO companies charge a fee for it and offer this service?

I always though once you submited your website its index on the website forever. please correct me if i'm wrong.

I think resubmitting might make your website look like spamming.

any thoughts?

wsks, May 16, 2004 IP
  2. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Recurrent submission services to major search engines (that user spriders to crawl the web) is a waste of time and money. IMO, they are money making scams aimed at "servicing" folks who haven't learned anything about search engines since Alta Vista was *the* search engine.

Submissions to directories are worthwhile and necessary, but then they should be done manually and just once.

Bernard, May 16, 2004 IP
  3. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes resubmitting is not something that is needed.

In fact submitting to search engines at all, for better rankings, doesn't make sense. Search Engine's are supposed to go out on the Internet and "crawl" your site, which they find by crawling other sites, and if the SE doesn't get around to crawling your site (read: didn't find it) then you aren't going to get good ranking anyway, because how are people going to find your site.

Basically it is the Search Engine's job to find your site, if it doesn't find it, then you have to little amount of links coming to your site.

How do you think Amazon.com gets top ratings? Do they submit their site once a month? once a year? Do you think they ever did?

The only reason to submit your site's URL to a search engine would be that it is a brand new URL and you want them to find you on their next crawl of the Internet, which is about once a month.

Chances are they will find you a lot quicker with links to the new site from older sites that are already in the search engine's database than if you submitted anyway.

I know you probably know this all ready, but hopefully this will help others who have the same questions but are afraid to ask, or are searching the forums before they ask, or they are just browsing by. :)

HTH,
    Sean

Such Great Heights, May 16, 2004 IP
  4. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Sean, there is no need to resubmit. I've never heard of a temporary boost occuring

schlottke, May 16, 2004 IP
  5. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    When you have a new site (new domain) then it definately can get a boost in Google when you submit it before he found it himself. I never actually read it or something but my own experience is that Google often places new sites quite high and checks later (the next month) to see if sites actually linked it and finds a bit more stabilised place for the site.

That is however only when the engine never had seen it. As soon as the engine knows about your site, he just knows about it. resubmitting isnt necessary. Resubmitting to the Yahoo directory and DMOZ directory once every 2 months until you are add might be helpful I dont know. But resubmitting to engines like Google and MSN is a waste of time.

Its not spamming though. Not unless you do it like daily. Google doesnt really minds to see it comming like weekly so there is no penalty to those companies that do it monthly for you either. Just a waste of money.

Dirkjan, May 16, 2004 IP
  6. nohaber

nohaber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Submitting is 100% waste of time. The submited sites have super low priority for crawling. Submitting has nothing to do with ranking (just with crawling). Almost any link from another site should move your site up the crawling queue better than submitting. Once you get a decent PR, google will automatically crawl your pages more often based mainly on PR (+other factors).

nohaber, May 16, 2004 IP
  7. Cricket

Cricket Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here is Google's Take on Site Submissions
    Google For Webmasters

We add thousands of new sites to our index each time we crawl the Web, but if you like, you may submit your URL as well. Submission is not necessary and does not guarantee inclusion in our index. Given the large number of sites submitting URLs, it's likely your pages will be found in an automatic crawl before they make it into our index through the URL submission form. We DO NOT add all submitted URLs to our index, and cannot predict when or if they will appear.

Please visit our "Add URL" page to input your URLs. You can submit your site as often as you like, but multiple submissions will not improve the likelihood of your site being added or accelerate the process. We do not penalize sites for 'over-submitting'. If you choose to submit your site, only the top-level domain is necessary, as the spiders will follow your internal links to all the rest of the pages.

The best way to ensure Google finds your site is for your page to be linked from lots of pages on other sites. Google's robots jump from page to page on the Web via hyperlinks, so the more sites that link to you, the more likely it is that we'll find you quickly.

Cricket, May 17, 2004 IP
  8. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dirkjan, you are a little off the mark IMO.

You can submit your site every day if you like, but it will NOT stay in the Google index unless the google spider finds a link to that page. I have been running a test on this fact along with another, and this is what we have found. Google does i fact mention this in their submission guidelines (if you read it carefully) All that happens is that Googlebot will visit your page, grab the header detail then wait to find a link.

The reason that new sites seem to score highly initially in general is because Google guesses the PR for a new site, the actual PR being assigned after the next update. Google has been notorious for being generous with estimated Page Rank.

Submit every 2 months to DMOZ? a sure way to get your site ignored I would say. The ODP submission guidelines specificaly tell you not to submit more than once.

To get found you need to have a site that is spidered regularly, be it a small directory that you add sites to on a regular basis, or an information site that has new content added regularly. This brings the spiders back, as they ALL want to know about the freshest content online. Add a link to your new site from this site, and also try to get another one or two good links. Within a wek or so all the main SE spiders (yahoo! slurp, googlebot, msnbot, etc) should have found you.

Next stage is to submit to the directories. do your self a favour and build spreadsheets for submissions to allow you to manually track what you have done and when, (it is easy to forget otherwise).

Once you have done that stage, then you need to get on with intersite linking, finding related information on sites and building links incoming and outgoing to sites that are of relevance to users.

OWG

Old Welsh Guy, May 17, 2004 IP
  9. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Actually Altavista used to boost to the top 10 for the initial submit and then let it fade away and by resubmitting you got back to the top 10 for a bit. [this is how these "interesting" companies got to do business with gaurantees]

But look what happened to Altavista! :)

Foxy, May 17, 2004 IP
  10. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Agree that there is absolutely no milage in re submit. Presently when I'm in a hurry - One initial submit to G & Y at the same time links from some on theme pr5/6+ sites (they get pestered by the carwlers more or less daily) with pr4/5 resource pages and I spend some time and about 50-75 $ on suitable directories that are well established and give you a weeks worth of new listing or this week/month news but only when the link is straight through (check with view source) as a lot still use old fashioned technology of redirect rather than simply listen in to header traffic.
    M

PS DMOZ I submit once - no action in 4 weeks write a polite e-mail to the editor if there is none or no reply write to the next one up.

expat, May 17, 2004 IP
  11. wsks

wsks Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey guys thanks for the tip, t sure makes sense. makes me really think twice about ever using a SEO company out there :rolleyes:

wsks, May 18, 2004 IP
  12. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Allways think twice before spending money BUT don't be negative about SEO it's a large field and there are great small and large SEO's / SEM's out there.....
    M

expat, May 18, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.