1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Important information on buying web hosting Don't get scammed

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by IwhiC, Mar 20, 2008.

1. indyeah

indyeah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    great, valuable information ........thanks

indyeah, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  2. IwhiC

IwhiC Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks every one for adding in some great things that I left out, but apparently no one is reading this before they buy hosting as we are still seeing the phrase "he scammed my " It would be nice if they would but this in the web hosting category so new comers will read this before buying any hosting off here.

How do we make this sticky in the web hosting category any one know.

IwhiC, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  3. mfwl

mfwl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice Tread, Great advice and well put together. I think you deserve a gold star... From one scammed person to another... Thank you!

Matt
    www.ace4space.com

mfwl, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  4. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    seem like we got more things to see before choose the hosting.

I just wonder why this thread are not being sticked yet? :p

tradeya, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  5. -bank-

-bank- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most of you have already covered all the points I would have said.
    - never pay for a years in advance unless they have been providing hosting for at least a year (you know they've been up one, so should be alright for another)
    - background research the host, find customer reviews, most good hosts should have a review on the internet about them
    - make sure they have a website, like iwhic said, if they don't they'll probably take you're money and run
    - check their terms and conditions, most hosts should have them, if they don't they might make up the rules as they go along
    - is the offer too good to be true? For example 300Gb of space 6tb of bandwidth all for $3 per month (something obviously doesn't add up
    - what uptime guarantee do the offer? Most cheap hosts offer a 99% uptime guarantee (lets work that out, in a year there are 8760 hours, so with 99% uptime you get 87.6 hours down time, thats more than 3 and a half days without a website on the net, you're losing money.)
    - check their reputation, this related to research, although on dp you can look at their itrader (do they look like a scammer? does it have information where they get their hosting? look further)
    - Lots of people offer guarantees, although what come back do you have? If you're paying for a year in advance by paypal and get hosting for 3 months then complain paypal won't issue you a refund, so do they seem genuine or just running with you're money?

Iwhic covered most of the points, though I've emphasised it further. Make sure you do your research, else you'll lose out.

check www.redihot.com :p

-bank-, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  6. solidstate

solidstate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Woow Nice thead and very very informative for new people who are willing to get webhosting service.
    I have a little question for webhosting Experts. recently i have taken a reseller hosting account, but i see server load is at 3.38 (2 cpus). Is it good or bad?
    Please suggest me about that as you guys are the best hosting companies.

This Thread should be Sticky in webhosting section. :d

Regards,
    Tanbir

solidstate, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  7. Electric-Shadow

Electric-Shadow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I also know a host who is about the same age and they do a very good job and their customers are almost always happy, they also have quite a reputation.

Please don't judge someone by their age, the chap i know is very trustworthy and I would be insulted if he was referred to as 'a usless kiddy host' allthough some of them are pretty usless there are some which are damn good hosts.

Just do your homework, read up on the host, use google and if you get scammed when the information is there for you to find, then its nobodys fault but your own ;)

Electric-Shadow, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  8. sharmaine

sharmaine Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the post!

sharmaine, Apr 26, 2008 IP
  9. Chuman

Chuman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well a Person I dont remember his username, The hosting site was www.afahosting.co.uk I bought reseller account from him for 5 pounds per month, he also mentioned he was a Christian, actually I bought the hosting from him because I was trying to give Free CHristian Hosting in Nepal so I paid for one month, after few days he said that since I am giving free hosting to Nepalese Christian Community he decided to make the hosting free and he said any donations to run the server will be accepted, I sent him 10 pounds donation and after few days he closed his hosting, he didn't appear in msn, I was new to paypal and I didn't know how to create dispute or he might have closed the hosting and run away..

I went through the points described by iwhic and they are very reasonable and one must follow them very wisely.

Chuman

Chuman, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  10. IwhiC

IwhiC Peon

Best Answers:
    Not a problem anything we can do to help others out we will..

IwhiC, Aug 20, 2008 IP