1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Important information on buying web hosting Don't get scammed

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by IwhiC, Mar 20, 2008.

1. hello_welcome

hello_welcome Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    really this is very important information about buy web hosting

hello_welcome, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  2. IwhiC

IwhiC Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks hope this will help some people

IwhiC, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  3. kber

kber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hostparol . oshq . is a good example for the scammer here in DP

kber, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  4. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Great thread, and to add to it, from past experience, never ever buy one off payments - when I was a newbie to hosting, I learned the hard way, lost $70 9 months ago when I first started out.

EDIT: Yes this really needs to become a sticky.

Stroh, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  5. 5starpix

5starpix Notable Member

Best Answers:
    this thread should really be a sticky in the WEB HOSTING forum!

5starpix, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  6. IwhiC

IwhiC Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree MODS can you make this sticky... we just had another kid trying to scam people in the web hosting forum

IwhiC, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  7. -bank-

-bank- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was thinking about posting something similar, some of the hosts on here are worse than those you find on ebay, great list for new users (and old.)

-bank-, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  8. hydroburn

hydroburn Peon

Best Answers:
    Would like to request to use this article on another web hosting forum. Credits will be added. Is that possible?

hydroburn, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  9. IwhiC

IwhiC Peon

Best Answers:
    As far as our original post we are all for it. You may want to contact a MOD and find out the rules as to the post.
    I would get clarification from MOD's on DP and follow there advise.
    We are very happy to have this open for all to read.
    We want to thank all that have added to this. As always. Please continue with thoughts and information.
    Thank you
    IwhiC

IwhiC, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  10. IwhiC

IwhiC Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is a nice guide that Cameron from NetXHosting has wrote, (hope you don't mind me adding this Cameron.)

A Good addition from a great host thanks Cameron.

http://blog.computerxpert.biz/

IwhiC, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  11. MaximaPhoenix

MaximaPhoenix Peon

Best Answers:
    I would like to add a point or two. Already bits of these are noted by some others.

Never trust people who give you a life time offer. Like some people offer Unlimited Space/Bandwidth for $5. You know that they are not telling you the truth! A company would never offer you even 10 GB for a one time payment of $5! Let alone "Unlimited"

If you are thinking about taking an "Unlimited" plan, talk to the owners first. See if they are willing to increase the space once you reach your quota! There's a limit to everything! Its also best to first talk to the host, get to know them a bit. Search them up, (Like Jason and others noted) try to find out if they are trust able or yet another bunch of liars! And you can even spend some time with them and see if they are offering you a good and friendly Support!

See if they have a site, proper site! A site is a must for any hosting company! There are people who say that they are giving away free hosting/paid hosting/dedicated servers/master reseller and etc, and give a link to their Blogs on Blogger/Blogspot and sites alike. In cases like these, they ARE fake!

Reason? Well if they had the ability to host other people, don't you think they would have atleast hosted themselves first?

And I agree, this should be stickied. It will help alot of innocent people from being scammed! Nice work Jason! =)

MaximaPhoenix, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  12. aqnshosting

aqnshosting Banned

Best Answers:
    Nice Nice Work Jason :)
    It will help alot of people to avoid scams.
    The thing I want to say is NEVER BUY YEARLY PLANS from new or to good to be true hosts.
    As for Unmetered plans. They can exist if handled properly. I sell unmetered plans. I have been in business for around 7 months without any major problems nor have my clients been posting against me. It all depends on how you manage.
    Many unlimited hosts here are on reseller accounts and are kids all they know is that unlimited packages sell and I can buy a PS3 with the money :p
    Trust me thats what they have on mind. Many good host's here would agree to this. So if you see their aim isn't providing good long term services they are here to get their PS3 once they have it you can't find them.

Please note I am not pointing my finger towards anyone. What I said was a general statement and was not targeted towards anyone.

I sell unmetered but know how to manage thats the reason I am still up after 7 months. Seen lots of hosts or in other words kids come and go.

Mods please make this a STICKY. It will also help reduce scams on DP which are becoming more and more common here.

Thanks for Reading and Thanks Jason For Posting This.

aqnshosting, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  13. MaximaPhoenix

MaximaPhoenix Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, "Unmetered" plans are good if they are taken care of. So you need to know the host first.

I like your comment on the Kids and PS3 thing. I know it was not targeted towards anyone but I have 2 friends, both around the age of 13-15. But they are not the type who would go down on you! They are dedicated to their hosting company and their clients. They have been running their business for around 3-4 years! Never once did I hear a complain from their hostees!

So its not like all kids with hosting companies are bad, if they know what they are doing that is! Its just some of them giving the more responsible kids, a bad reputation.

One more thing I would like to say: If you are going to get a host (Not pointing to anyone!) I suggest you always take the monthly pricing style! That way even if your host decides to run away, you won't have much to lose! =)

MaximaPhoenix, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  14. IwhiC

IwhiC Peon

Best Answers:
    It raises a issue of LAWS a 13 year old can not be held accountable for there actions. When leasing a server you must *sign a contract* 99% of the data centers, world wide require a legal age of 18 Years of age.
    I have never wanted to say this. But when I have 500+ Hours rapped up in my website / business. I don't feel that I would be 100% trusted with a KID .. What if that day came and a server crash happens and they don't have the means to recover as they most likely are living week to week or day to day with there income.. I don't think a 13 year old could just pull out the $1,000 needed to re coop and reset up and not miss a beat.. In my own I would look at the owner as responsible ( Even if I have Back ups) And if that host could not re coop . You are SOL... Back ups are the MOST IMPORTANT thing in Hosting..

We have a a pretty cool feature that allows a VIDEO to teach people how to do Back ups and it is free. Comes with cPanel now... Watch it and the other video's included in your control panel..

Some host will not allow you to do back ups. They disable the feature for server load reasons.. Find a New Host!
    If you can not back your files up when you want. Dont risk your work / time / Money that they will be 100% safe.

This back up feature allows you to download a Complete cPanel tar.gz file that includes 100% of every thing in your account. You then then at needed have any host running cPanel restore that file, You then are 100% ready to go.
    Doing a Home directory back up should be down loaded to YOUR computer.. I will say that again.. Down load the /home directory back up to your LOCAL computer,, This is a MUST at least 3 times a week or after a update is made to your files.

This you can restore on the fly if any thing ever happens and your host shuts down or crashes.. You simply upload the /home back up in tar.gz form and the system will extract it...

Contact your host and make sure you have 100% permission to do what I have stated. If not,, I would not host there.( My personal feelings)..

I would also like to point out that you are giving the wrong person credit. Aimee had wrote the original post and posted it here on the forum not me.

Jason

IwhiC, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  15. aqnshosting

aqnshosting Banned

Best Answers:
    Agreed!
    The kids getting server's brings up legal issues and all.
    And backups are very important. I myself keep daily backups of all accounts but i still recommend to clients to keep their backups as well.
    Anyways if any one has any thing to add to this thread please do as it will benefit all us honest hosts because if no one buys from these scam's they will go out of business which will help us all.

So keep adding to this list.

Thanks

aqnshosting, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  16. IwhiC

IwhiC Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is our blog on this topic that we started, please feel free to check ip out and add your comments to that as well. We will be updating that as well. Thanks for all the great input on this. Lets keep it going.

Aimee

Don't Get scammed

IwhiC, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  17. sammas47

sammas47 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I am happy with my new host. I think anyone can try them without much risk, because they offer monthly payment, and over and above that they offer 60 days money back guaranty.

sammas47, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  18. kaung

kaung Twitter @KaungKo

Best Answers:
    no affiliate link redirecton allowed in posts ;)

kaung, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  19. IwhiC

IwhiC Peon

Best Answers:
    This was not meant for a sales thread, but I am happy that you are satisfied with your host.

IwhiC, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  20. MaximaPhoenix

MaximaPhoenix Peon

Best Answers:
    Back ups are necessary. Like Jason said, there are hosts that don't let you take back ups, stay away from them! Back ups are VERY important.

Every time I get a hosting from someone, first thing I do is turn on weekly back ups, or take a monthly back up Everyone should do this as well! Well, maybe not weekly but atleast monthly!

MaximaPhoenix, Mar 27, 2008 IP