1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Importance of Directory Submission: Watch out guys

Discussion in 'Directories' started by philip.morris236, Nov 13, 2012.

Hy mates,

I was searching a lot that what Google say about the directory submission as many of the people out there has set a Propaganda about the directories owner and the directories submission that it is now not important to submit your site to directories n bla bla ... I would like to thanks Mia from whose posts I got a lot to know.

Here is something I found what Google search personals say about directory submission, I though it would be of more benefit to share with you guys.

To read full article : http://jamesnorquay.com/an-interview-ex-member-matt-cuttss-search-quality-team/

Question 7. What are 3 off site (link building) tactics that you recommend?

Off site link building has dramatically changed since the recent updates. Anything that you can do automatically or at scale putts your website at risk. So keep the following in mind; Link building has changed from an almost purely technical process into something that resembles a relationship management campaign. Building a network with owners of sites that are related to yours for example. If your website is about cheese production, reach out to people in the milk industry, like I mentioned before, relevance is the new PR. Second, don’t dismiss directories completely. I have heard people talking about directories being altogether bad and advise people to avoid them. This is not the case, good quality, moderated directories, or niche directories are still worth looking in to. Third, to stay focussed on quality of pages linking in to you, Google judges your link profile by the quality of pages linking to your site, getting 3 links from authentic pages will do much more than 1000 links from splogs, so invest your time into getting quality, not quantity.

philip.morris236, Nov 13, 2012 IP
  2. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly, I hope all those people asking 'how many directories can I submit to per day' understand this. Time is better spent researching and searching for those few quality directories and writing the submission from the top of your head than sending identical submissions to 1000's of sites.

syted, Nov 14, 2012 IP
  3. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We've had this topic and highlighted phrase discussed before.

Just remember to put it in context (i.e. keep the phrase you've emphasized within the bounds of the content around it). The author has qualified their statement by saying good quality, moderated directories, or niche directories are still worth looking in to

There are very few good quality directories. Quality is a phrase that is thrown around a lot but very few people on Digitalpoint understand, and even less practice it. What is a quality directory? Good question... How long is a piece of string? It is all relative.

Quality generally relates to content, but can also factor in design, taxonomy, traffic, popularity, freshness and branding. This "quality of content" comes about from the other suggestion of being moderated. This is even less understood than the word quality. Moderation requires work. It means that someone needs to actually do work on the directory... which includes, but is not limited to, reviewing listings, editing the submission information (so it isn't spammy) and ensuring listings are in correct categories.

Of the directory owners on Digitalpoint, probably less than you can count on two hands, would actively moderate their directories and create quality.

I would steer away from general directories as a rule and go for topical/niche directories. The exceptions are those directories which are considered trusted (they've generally been around for a good 5-6+ years and have a good range of content, and they rank well).

If you choose general directories, you really need to know and understand what quality and moderation mean, otherwise you could be submitting to junk directories (there are 10s of 1000s of them).

silencer, Nov 14, 2012 IP
    michaeljm72 likes this.
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Good advice silencer I couldn't agree more. In actual fact I would stay steer clear of general web directories completely 99% of them are spam and will gladly accept your link for a monetary exchange. In addition to niche directories I would also suggest looking at very focused link pages that list topical links in categories. Similarly there is a human review in publishing your link. We're way past the point where simply having lots of one way links pointing to your site is sufficient for ranking purposes.

dcristo, Nov 14, 2012 IP
  5. michaeljm72

michaeljm72 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Many good points in that interview that were of interest to me, one of the main points to take home was "....getting a link from a high PR page used to always be valuable, today it’s more the relevance of the site’s theme in regards to yours, relevance is the new PR."

So, getting links from other relevant pages and websites is like the new PR - more important than pagerank itself, as we've suspected for some time.

And another good one was his point about "relationship management campaigns" and forming networks with like-minded sites, once again that thing about Relevance being a big factor.

Silencer pretty much said it all about quality in directories: moderation, good design, other useful and related/relevant sites in the Categories, and I think that age is a good sign too, a directory that's been around a minimum of 3 years would be more likely to have some Trust and Authority from google rather than one that's quite new and has the same categories as 100s of others (a real problem with directories these days if you ask me, there are only so many unique ones out there where the owner takes the time to create some new and unique categories)

michaeljm72, Nov 15, 2012 IP
  6. Alex jones

Alex jones Member

Best Answers:
    Directories submission is part and parcel of SEO and there is no short cut to this.

Alex jones, Nov 15, 2012 IP
  7. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think this is a good point. An age of 3 years gives you a good idea about a directory but what one should then do is see how that directory has built their content given that they've been around for 3 years.

Anything less than 3 years is probably a gamble. A couple of bad points based on lack of age.
    - It could be a fly-by-night directory (here today / gone tomorrow). That's actually not too bad as your listing would disappear when the directory does, so all you are really wasting here is time (unless you also paid for a review).
    - It could be a run-of-the-mill junk directory. Meaning your listing could be surrounded by bad content, this in turn is bad for your linking profile. But since they have little content it's hard to tell if it will be.

An age of 5+ years, with a nod to metrics (just as a quick indicator) as well as SERPs for names, etc will give you a really strong idea about a directory. Beyond 5 years a directory has endured a lot of algorithmic changes, and been forced to evolve and adapt to remain relevant. If it is still around, still has strong metric signals, and still ranks strongly, there's probably a good reason for that ;)

I wouldn't steer clear of them all, and I still believe if someone does that, they are taking a club out of their golf bag and snapping it over their knee because they think they don't need that club. Even if people don't do a lot of directory submission, it should still be a part of their online activities.

Don't think about "general" directories in the way that they are represented on DP as being the only general directory that is available. There are also "general" directories who are very good for reputation management and profile building as they can often rank in the top 10 for your name. In that vein, it's a similar effect to what LinkedIn, FB and Tw achieve for a site in terms of SERPs profile building.

The best general directories tend to treat their subcategories like niche directories anyways...

I think we are for the most part on the same page...

silencer, Nov 15, 2012 IP
  8. Giamatti

Giamatti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Giamatti, Dec 30, 2012 IP
  9. Giamatti

Giamatti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wrote an article about directories that proof your point. "Why directories are not always BAD!!"

Giamatti, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  10. hope2life

hope2life Active Member

Best Answers:
    If a directory has traffic from google organic then its worth submitting. Also make sure the directory provide listings in relevant categories. If a directory gives link to door and window related site from home and garden category then also its not a good directory. Door and window sites should go in door and window category. Don't just acquire links for pr but acquire links from relevant pages only. A good directory will also not provide high density keyword as anchor text. Anchor text should be domain name or company name or domain name + keyword. That are the qualities of a good directory.

Some examples of good directories I find.

botw.org
    dir.yahoo.com
    business.com
    mastbusiness.com

and more...............

hope2life, Jan 1, 2013 IP