1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Importance of Digital Marketing for New Businesses

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Cora Young, Nov 20, 2017.

So... I'm thinking of launching my coffee shop next year. But I do have a question for y'all.

Do you think if a business established in 2017 (and in the next years to come) has no online presence and doesn't use SEO or digital marketing, will it even survive? Why and why not? Plus, consider the fact that it's a coffee shop. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Cora Young, Nov 20, 2017 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    A brick and mortar coffee shop can survive without an online presence, especially if it has a great, high traffic location. Even more so if it has a great offline marketing plan. Of course, an online presence will help drive traffic to the establishment, but it is not an absolute requirement.

The company that put a new roof on my house two years ago and my car repair shop are both extremely successful and always busy and neither of them have a website or any online presence. The roofing company does advertise in the local newspaper, but the car repair shop does nothing at all and just gets word of mouth referrals.

jrbiz, Nov 20, 2017 IP
  3. Penny44

Penny44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I definitely think that a coffee shop could survive without an online presence of any kind, BUT at the same time why wouldn't you want to have one. For my money, it is just another way to get the word out about your new business and bring in customers.

Penny44, Nov 20, 2017 IP
  4. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    A coffee shop would be fine. It's a very local sort of thing. Mostly, it's just the local people who would visit. However, if you want to reach more people, like those that live in outlying suburbs, then you'd probably want at least a simple web page with your hours, etc. You can always develop a website later.

usasportstraining, Nov 20, 2017 IP
  5. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Of course it will survive. It is not like an ecommerce site or a business that the only way to sell is through online.
    However you should still consider SEo because SEO is not anymore an option.

Patricia Ann Lee, Nov 20, 2017 IP
  6. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You better have one hell of a concept.... As far as I can tell the only successful "ma and pop" coffee shops are those with local legendary status in business for YEARS -or- modern trendy joints with contemporary/modern industrial decor and vibe. Location is HUGE... your target audience is huge... Digital marketing is huge too... you may not have to do pricey SEM but you will absolutely need a good social media strategy...

NetStar, Nov 20, 2017 IP
  7. Li.ikonow

Li.ikonow Peon

Best Answers:
    Excluding location, service, product from the equation and assuming that those three have been well studied, tested, trained..etc

Do you know the relation between Starbucks and Instagram?
    Hint: Check Unicorn Frappuccino and most recently Zombie Frappuccino.
    You may not be directly involved in any marketing activities however it's a good idea to have a "platform" where your guests will be willing to share pictures, "tag", provide feedback, sometimes even ideas.

The truth is going digital is unavoidable and you potential success should be your motivator.

Li.ikonow, Nov 21, 2017 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    SEo?

jrbiz, Nov 21, 2017 IP
  9. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Search Engine Optimization it's very similar to Search Engine Optimization.

NetStar, Nov 21, 2017 IP
  10. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Saw this on Twitter and it made me think of this thread:

DPO1XVsUMAIeiNJ.jpg

qwikad.com, Nov 22, 2017 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  11. Patricia Ann Lee

Best Answers:
    Yes SEO. SEO is not anymore an option to online business of all business types. From small up to large business scale; SEO is a must.

Patricia Ann Lee, Nov 22, 2017 IP
  12. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nah.. This assumes that everyone on this planet would instantly know of your product and made a decision not to purchase it which would imply it's no good. You have to market your product or service so people know you exist. Just because you open a business doesn't mean everyone in town will instantly know where it's at. Just because you start a web site doesn't mean it will instantly be found. You need marketing.

NetStar, Nov 22, 2017 IP
  13. Ciprian Bitter

Ciprian Bitter Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I can tell you from the experience of my friends (several of whom have physical coffee shops) that online presence is not mandatory. And not even I, as an avid coffee buyer, don't care about the coffee shop's online presence when I buy, but more about the interior design, coffee quality and price.

HOWEVER, if you plan on also selling additional products (maybe coffee bags, coffee mugs or something), an online presence is recommended. And to stimulate physical commerce, you can give the customers an option to pick up the products they bought from your coffee shop, if it's close to them or in their way. It's a good way to also build awareness that you exist and that you're pretty cool :)

Ciprian Bitter, Nov 22, 2017 IP
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The way I read your statement made me think that you were suggesting SEo because SEO is no longer an option. I understand now what you were trying to say.

jrbiz, Nov 22, 2017 IP
  15. dimitarang

dimitarang Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think social networking will do a great job for a coffee shop. For example use Facebook, it is perfect for small and local business.

dimitarang, Nov 22, 2017 IP
  16. Patricia Ann Lee

Best Answers:
    Yes I am still suggesting SEO to the OP because the OP's coffee shop business can really survive since it is not online. But if he will consider establishing a website then he needs to do SEO on it. Its a must you know.

Patricia Ann Lee, Nov 23, 2017 IP
  17. Ciprian Bitter

Ciprian Bitter Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @ Oh OP, I just remembered: It's key that your coffee shop is in local travel guides, such as TripAdvisor or others.
    And if you're going to start selling online or having a presence, featuring in bloggers or recommendation websites is a good idea as well.
    Maybe not on the topic, but I think these things help as well :)

Ciprian Bitter, Nov 24, 2017 IP