1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Import wikipedia db dump into wordpress?

Discussion in 'Databases' started by webcabbie, Dec 14, 2013.

Import wikipedia db dump into wordpress? I can't be the first one who has thought to do this? I want my own wikipedia but want it running on wordpress blog. Anyone ever do this? There has to be a way to import it into wordpress right?

webcabbie, Dec 14, 2013 IP
  2. khodem

khodem Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you need to do alot of work for that it's not easy alot of Database works is required... and plus you need to have dedicated server for that to run as it's big data...

khodem, Dec 15, 2013 IP
  3. webcabbie

webcabbie Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a pretty hefty vps. There has to be a simpleish php code I can run that will modify the database. Still looking for info if anyone can help?

webcabbie, Dec 16, 2013 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Can I just ask... why in all that is holy do you want to do this? Wikipedia is based on a wiki - which has its own syntax, and own logic - it's not as simple as just copying over articles into WP-posts. A Wiki is a wiki, and a blog is a blog, for a reason.

PoPSiCLe, Dec 17, 2013 IP
  5. webcabbie

webcabbie Active Member

Best Answers:
    I rather not share my reasons. Its not important here why I want to do this. I just do. Someone must know how to tweek the database so wordpress will accept a wikipedia dump. How about exporting a wikipedia dump to .csv? Something has to work.

webcabbie, Dec 20, 2013 IP
  6. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have said database? The issue there is more the size of the damn thing.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Dec 21, 2013 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    By all means, doing stupid stuff is any person's prerogative. My point still stands that you'll need to code your own parser for the data, since they're stored with wiki-formatted text - which means that there's a lot of fiddling involved getting internal links to work properly, CSS-styling, etc. Just so you know, this will be an immensly large project.

PoPSiCLe, Dec 22, 2013 IP
  8. webcabbie

webcabbie Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think I found a much slower workaround that may be easier.. I found a plugin that imports ,slowly, wiki pages into wordpress. Im thinking of setting up a wiki on another domain or a subdomain I am not using importing the wiki dump datatbase into it and then running the importer to post the articles into the place I want them to be. What do you think?

webcabbie, Dec 23, 2013 IP
  9. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    That sounds like a pretty decent way to do it, at least if the importer works properly, and pulls all the info you want.

PoPSiCLe, Dec 24, 2013 IP