1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I'm teaching myself HTML and CSS to start

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Prime Time, Feb 2, 2018.

I've worked in broadcasting most of my life, mostly in Master Control and the control room during live newscasts, but we are slowly becoming obsolete as everything we do becomes automated.

Trying to find a job in the field that actually pays a decent wage is becoming harder. My last job with Dish Network saw a lot of old TV News station people working there, with a lot of knowledge and experience of obsolete technology. Everything is done on a computer now and one person can do the work of four to six to air a newscast.

I just wasn't making enough money to support myself, especially when I ended up with unexpected medical bills, so I've moved in with friends and will likely have to declare Bankruptcy.

That's why I decided to teach myself to code and be a web developer. Front end at first, then full stack. At first I thought I was too old until I started reading that adults of all ages do this quite often and do well for themselves. I have definitely experienced age discrimination trying to find work recently. I'm 45 now.

Since I know how to shoot and edit video and have a lot of experience on Photoshop and was always very creative and know how to write articles due to studying Journalism in college, I think I can be very useful once I learn to code adequately. I can also write screenplays and am a good cartoonist and play the drumset.

I've always been good with computers and started programming them on a Commodore VIC 20 back in the early 80's.

Right now I've just gotten started at codecademy and am catching on very well and quickly. I've always been kind of a nerd. I'm interested in working remotely, but am in Houston now if I need to start out with something local.

From what I've read, I need to learn, then put my own portfolio of websites up for potential employers to view. I'm interested in using 'Composr' as a platform (https://compo.sr/) (used to be called OCPortal) for a website that has an integrated message board that caters to a certain niche as my first project.

Any advice on what else to do to get started would be welcome, and thank you all for this forum.

Prime Time, Feb 2, 2018 IP
  2. Prime Time

Prime Time Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you! Wordpress is something I am also interested in and was going to learn later, now I might bump up that schedule. I was also unaware of Adwords, so thatnk you foe that info, too.

Prime Time, Feb 3, 2018 IP
  3. webgator

webgator Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress does all the coding for the most part for you. With the huge library of templates and plugins you can have a website up and running in no time at all.

It's honestly all I use these days.

webgator, Feb 6, 2018 IP
  4. directoryman

directoryman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can you generate income from your sites? That would be impressive. Maybe some relevant affiliate programs. Even just trying could be good enough. Just tell companies that you have not yet went all out on a marketing campaign.

:D

directoryman, Feb 6, 2018 IP
  5. directoryman

Best Answers:
    Psst! So, did you find a job yet?

directoryman, Feb 20, 2018 IP
  6. bijutoha

bijutoha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So you are now going to keep your tune with the era. That is good to start a new journey. I saw your cms, I think you need to take something popular, something demandable, such as WordPress, Joomla etc. Hope, they will come handy and don't make you upset again.

bijutoha, Feb 20, 2018 IP
  7. directoryman

Best Answers:
    "Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past. You must fight just to keep them alive."

directoryman, Feb 24, 2018 IP
  8. directoryman

Best Answers:
    I just learned responsive html. Now my sites are coming up in mobile SEs.

directoryman, Feb 27, 2018 IP
  9. directoryman

Best Answers:
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.

directoryman, Mar 5, 2018 IP