1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I'm ordering a new PC! XP OR Vista?????

Discussion in 'Bing' started by rick sample, Aug 19, 2007.

1. thinkarcade

thinkarcade Active Member

Best Answers:
    Where do people pull these random facts from? XP is more secure? You are kidding right? Anyways, why would you want to install a 6+ year old operating system on a modern PC? You have the specs to run Vista so I would recommend that you do. When you buy a new PC the smart bet is to buy the most technologically advanced hardware and software available so it doesn't become obsolete as fast. Besides, Vista is great and runs fine as long as you have a PC that can handle it.
    SEMrush

thinkarcade, Aug 24, 2007 IP
    SEMrush
  2. sjsjsj215

sjsjsj215 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    xp xp xp
    take vista when you order next time..then it will support everytin n run fine..then xp will be 98
    lol

sjsjsj215, Aug 24, 2007 IP
  3. buyallgifts

buyallgifts Peon

Best Answers:
    probably safer to go with XP since Vista is too new but It's really hard to find good deals with laptops with XP, if anyone known of any, please do let me know via a PM.

thanks

buyallgifts, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  4. Leone

Leone Peon

Best Answers:
    vista......

Leone, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  5. tdpent

tdpent Peon

Best Answers:
    Do NOT get Vista.

Hold on - do not get a DELL either!

Anything but Dell...anything but Vista.

tdpent, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  6. manakill2000

manakill2000 Peon

Best Answers:
    NO NO NO NO NOOOOO VISTA!!!! for the simple fact DRM is so embedded

manakill2000, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  7. m8x

m8x Banned

Best Answers:
    I'd stick with XP, until Vista is fixed. Cause it has a lot of bugs. I think so.
    I got my Photoshop 7.0 running on XP, perfectly. Anyways how much did that laptop cost?

m8x, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I posted this about three weeks ago on another forum outlining my own experiences with Vista.

For the record, this is JUST my personal experiences - but I've got close to three decades of computing under my belt, having been a computer service tech for most of that time, and having my own PC repair business for the three years before I retired in 2001 - and despite being 'successfully retired' I have kept my hand in the pot.

Snip from "43 hours 10 minutes with Vista"
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Yes, that is how long I lasted before I grabbed hold of it by the nerts, and reinstalled XP.

I was bound and determined to give it a chance, and to try and force myself to give it a chance I went high hog, backed up anything important and hard wiped my XP partition to give Vista Ultimate a whirl.

System Specs:
    Processor: A64 4000+
    Mainboard: Nforce 4 (500 series) eVGA (rebranded Jetway - 3 PCI x16 slots)
    RAM: 2 Gigs
    Video: 1 monitor on Ge7600GT, two more displays on Ge8800GTS
    Audio: Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, EMU APS Morpheus
    Drives: two 160 gig SATA, one 320 gig SATA, one 80 gig PATA (last drive devoted to Ubuntu)

It installed cleanly enough, or so it seemed... First thing after boot I've got networking, one of my three displays working (on the Ge7600GT, as I expected), so on to the mainboard drivers.

I downloaded the correct drivers for the board ahead of time, run the installer, reboot - and the networking won't connect... ok, back out the... hey, how do you back out the drivers? No deinstall under program options - it didn't trip a system restore point... reinstalling the drivers and choosing list only lists the new driver as the compatable option?!?!? AHA, when you deinstall a device you have a option to delete it's drivers - doing so made it fall back on whatever drivers it was using - networking restored.

On to the video, install the latest nVidia 168.22 drivers and the Ge8800GTS comes right up with all three displays working - Woo-hoo! (worth noting the newest binary drivers for Linux also make my desired config of the Ge7600 and Ge8800 side-by-side work in Ubuntu!!!)

Audio - I'm not expecting my Emu Morpheus to work, so I removed the card from the system - I've not done any pro grade composition or recording in a while, so no need for that. The Audigy 2 should do enough for my current needs... In go the drivers and... No soundfont controls? I was at least expecting to do some amature stuff with soundfonts... try to install the soundfont manager for XP, and crash... Hmm, that's a great dissapointment - and could be a good reason for some folks to choose a Mac instead of a PC, depsite the Mac lagging behind a decade on audio hardware and having to rely on external devices... From what I've seen Creative is having to be dragged kicking and screaming into Vista, and it's only a matter of time before they tell M$ to **** off just as they did Apple all those years ago with OS9.

Themes/appearance - Ok, this is ugly as hell - the transparancies make it so I can't even read the window title bars, (I ***** HATE TRANSPARANCIES!!!) the new buttons in the 'glass' theme are next to invisible - hell, it makes that stupid jelly bean 'luna' crap from XP look good. Flip3d? Flip that **** off. Thankfully it's Microsoft - I can turn ALL OF THAT CRAP OFF unlike some other operating systems I could mention. Aero theme? Goodbye. Flip3d? Goodbye. New start menu (Yet AGAIN), goodbye. Wow, we almost have something usable here.

So we run windows update and... it slipstreams in that same broken networking driver, and now it won't deinstall the drivers or give me an option to remove them with the device... Safe mode, nothing, reboot to normal and... what the? The option to remove the drivers with the device is there again... ok, removed, detect hardware, networking restored AGAIN.

So I install Shareaza... and UAC pops up for the installer. That's fine, I'm installing a program it should take admin rights... and it crashes... Fine, run in compatability mode for XP, it goes right in. Go to run it, and it crashes. Hmm. No Shareaza - I've only been using it as a bittorrent client anyways, and Opera can do that now...

So I install Opera... install Trillian, install AVG... install IE 5.01, 5.5 and 6.0 standalones (I need those for doing web page testing) and... those all crash. There isn't enough legacy windows present to run the hacked standalones.... Ok, I can live with that - install windows 98 inside M$ Virtual PC... and it crashes... Ok, try XP... and it crashes... Screw this, I've got a copy of VMWare 6, let's do that... 98 works except when I try to access folders on the LAN, it crashes.

FINE, install XP under VMWare, seems stable enough....

20 minutes later... crashes. Hmm. Check the event logs - every half second VMWare is throwing errors into the log file, at this rate I'll have a 1 gig log file inside 24 hours. Ok, remove VMWare.

I get Safari, Firefox, all my other software installed, but every 20 minutes like clockwork SOME random application hangs - and you can't kill it's process from the task manager. The task manager acts all happy and pretends to do something when you hit kill process, but 20 minutes later some other random application just hangs.

Get it seeming almost stable for an hour by applying some wierd hacks like removing the connection limits, putting UAC into the undocumented 'quiet' mode, etc, etc... Leave it overnight.

Morning - EVERY SINGLE APPLICATION I LEFT OPEN HAS HUNG... 'not responding', OS chugging along nice and happy as if nothing is wrong. Winamp, Opera, Firefox, IE7, Trillian, Filezilla, win32pad - all 'not responding' and ending their processes in task manager having no effect.

Screw this, out comes my XP Pro VLE disk.

I am for the most part an advanced user who can handle most anything any OS throws at me, comfortably switching between OSX, Gnome, KDE, XFCE and Windows with barely breaking a step... and I have to say this is the WORST DISASTER of an Operating system I have EVER seen. This makes Windows ME look good - hell, I'd get more functionality out of going back to Windows 3.1 than Vista is able to provide.

There are also little details - stuff that used to be together now being three separate sections - replacement of the simplest of tasks that could be done with two checkboxes suddenly needing a five page wizard to implement.

It really is 2K/ME all over again, where the drivers and stability just aren't there and don't look to be there for years... Problem after problem that likely won't actually be fixed until the next version of windows is actually released.

Much like as we stayed with 98 back then even when the supply channel dried up, today it looks like staying with XP is the 'smart move'. Praise be there are now ways to run DX10 games in XP, the only real reason I was considering switching over full time in the first place.

So here I am 7 hours after starting my XP reinstall, and probably about 3 more hours to go before I'm 100% back to where I was before starting this project - though likely with a much cleaner registry and lack of excess driver/program remnants. Not a big deal, I was probably due for my routing 'windows maintennance cycle' anyways.

Of course between Vista and all those VMWare setups, I'm on my seventh windows install in the past two days... on one machine.

This is almost enough to make me try using Linux as a desktop OS AGAIN ... - where for my own uses (said uses being fairly advanced) it's still a decade behind XP to the point all I'd end up doing is running XP under VMWare or Parallels because MOST of the desktop applications for linux still blow chunks (sorry OOO, when you stop kerning text like a sweetly retarded epileptic crack addict in withdrawl we'll talk). Sometime I'm planning on posting a "One month with Ubuntu" - probably once Gutsy final hits.

deathshadow, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  9. HeeLiX

HeeLiX Banned

Best Answers:
    XP ALL THE WAY!

Alot of drivers do not support Vista, and any drivers that do are beta, buggy as hell.

Stick to XP!

HeeLiX, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  10. kiviniar

kiviniar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I got my dell and my vista, it works fine for me..

XP is good, but vista looks great and i havent faced any functionality issues yet

kiviniar, Sep 25, 2007 IP