1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I'm on an innovation mission...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Steven Morell, May 8, 2021.

Hi Everyone!

I'm not selling/recruiting so don't worry :)

I have spent over 30 years in Tech/Sales/Startup and specifically the last 5 years in the crossroads of Artificial Intelligence and E-Commerce.

Recently I got involved in a (non profit) research project, where we are trying to teach a Machine Learning Algo to give business owners solid growth advice.

You can take a peak here: https://www.ryder.ai

I am here to exchange ideas and trade notes on common problems and challenges that businesses face and best practice solutions in order to make Ryder better.

Looking forward to chatting with you all :)

Steven

Steven Morell, May 8, 2021 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    What's the point of asking "Do you have a moment?" (Choose an option: Sure, go on... | Nah, not today). It's utterly unnecessary. I immediately chose "Nah, not today". Just think about it: I've entered a site to be scanned, and then you say to me: "Hey, are you sure you wanna do that???". Well, if you're questioning my intent, then "No!" I don't want to do that anymore. Remove that two button option!

qwikad.com, May 9, 2021 IP
  3. Steven Morell

Steven Morell Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Qwikad (cool, I had no idea you can use your project URL as a nick here)

so hey, thanks for taking the time and giving me some feedback. The initial question had a technical reason, but that got fixed - however we found out that it's a great deterrent and filter and now we use it on purpose. It keeps out the non motivated users who don't care all that much and leaves us with those who really have a pain they want to fix. It's pretty early and we are still A/B split testing a lot, but I kinda looks like the data is better when we deter less motivated users.

But thanks for the advice!

Steven Morell, May 9, 2021 IP
  4. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Blowing off 50% (or however much it might be) of your users is not a good idea. Never will be. Imagine shopping at a store and at the cash register the cashier says: "Do you really want this .... (fill in the blank)? Do you?" You'll be confused or irritated or both. The goal should be to provide a seamless customer service experience, user-friendliness. The fact that you got irritated with me in this thread tells me that it's something your team should discuss and work on. But, oh well, if you don't care about "non-motivated users" (whatever that means) you will miss out on a lot of potential customers.

PS I created the handle when I first signed up. You can change your handle by paying a small fee. For some reason I can't find the link to the option, maybe someone can point you in that direction.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I was tempted. Took ages to get to the question that @qwikad.com mentioned and I thought that was to let the Ai do its thing but noooo... it hadn't even started.

And then it failed to find my site.

sarahk, May 9, 2021 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  6. Steven Morell

Steven Morell Peon

Best Answers:
    @sarahk
    Sorry, it didn't work. Validating and cleaning the Inputs so that typos in URL get caught early is absolutely on our to-do list. As are many more. :)
    But to clear that up: There's no "faked waiting time" - the AI *is* doing something in the background and a lot o the stuff it does, is talking to APIs of other services and collect data about the URL given. That can really take a few seconds.

That's independend from what Qwikad and I were talking about:

@Qwikad, sorry you read me wrong. Maybe a smiley more here and there would have been good... :D
    I did not get irritated at all. I fully understand your point and where you're coming from. You're making the Steve Klug "Don't make me think" argument - and in every Bounce/Rate/Conversion situation I would side with you. Of course you should not deter customers and make things easier and less steps. There's no alternative to what you are saying.

The thing is - we are not selling anything here. This are not customers. This is not about conversion at all. It's about meaningful data.

If I want the AI to solve problems people care about, I need to weed out the people who don't care first. So what we are doing here is the Ryan Levesque argument: "Use the ugly form builder, so that people who don't care won't even fill it". (Actually I think it's more a Freakonomics style behavioral approach and not Ryan's idea at all. But he wrote the book...so be it.)

We do this on many steps. We look how long the answer to the open ended questions are. Did they type a word or a whole paragraph? We look at the competitors they provide. Are they really competitors or did the user just provide some urls?

But let's move into a more productive topic - apart from onebutton/twobutton - what would you consider the 3 top revenue killers you see in e-commerce websites?

Steven Morell, May 9, 2021 IP
  7. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    I do not know. I've never run an e-commerce site. I can guess that great customer service has a lot to do with its success. You shouldn't let your (or your customer service reps) emotions run your business. Being respectful and taking care of business even when a customer is wrong is key. I also dislike any business that makes it hard to do refunds and/or returns. I shouldn't get stuck with an item I don't want.

8. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have never had an e-commerce website, but I would imagine that it would be like any other business, that is, lack of customer service would be the number one revenue killer.

I have been in business for five decades, most of that time with a storefront. The number one revenue ENHANCER has ALWAYS been taking care of the customer, even if in the short term I did not make money. Today, most of my business comes from the internet and referrals, but the situation is still the same, taking care of the customers is my number one job. Customers WILL pay a premium for good customer service.

Good service, low prices, good quality - Pick any two - You CANNOT have all three!

mmerlinn, May 9, 2021 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.