1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I'm having a couple basic generics problems. Basically, I'm trying to identify

Discussion in 'C#' started by seo-india, Aug 27, 2010.

I'm having a couple basic generics problems. Basically, I'm trying to identify a piece of content by two indexes.

1) I need to store the content in the class, so I need to create a class variable, classTableCellContent, to store it in. Therefore I need to create one, requiring me to constrain the generic type "where ContentType : new()". However, when I attempt to consume this type with a string, e.g. TableCell<string>, it throws a compiler error "The type 'string' must have a public parameterless constructor in order to use it as a parameter blahblahblah..."

2) I need to accept input, so I have an add function. However, when I try to indicate that the third parameter is the same data type, i.e. ContentType, the compiler seems to believe that I'm creating a "new" data type with a poorly chosen name that hides the original data type declared in the class declaration. I'm sure this must be something stupid I'm missing. All I want to do is accept an input variable of the generic type in a function and store it in the class for later use.

Here's the code. I've even highlighted the two lines that seem to be throwing the errors.

Code:

public class TableCell<ContentType> where ContentType : new()
    {
    private int classRowIndex = 0;
    private int classColumnIndex = 0;
    private ContentType classTableCellContent = new ContentType();

/// <summary>
    /// TableCell<ContentType>() - Constructors for creating a new TableCell
    /// </summary>
    public TableCell() {}
    public TableCell(int inputRowIndex, int inputColumnIndex, ContentType inputTableCellContent)
    {
    addContent<ContentType>(inputRowIndex, inputColumnIndex, inputTableCellContent);
    }

/// <summary>
    /// void addContent<ContentType>(int inputRowIndex, int inputColumnIndex, ContentType inputTableCellContent) - accepts row and column indexesa dictionary and returns the XHTML to display all it's contents as a list
    /// </summary>
    public void addContent<ContentType>(int inputRowIndex, int inputColumnIndex, ContentType inputTableCellContent)
    {
    classRowIndex = inputRowIndex;
    classColumnIndex = inputColumnIndex;
    classTableCellContent = inputTableCellContent;
    }
    }

seo-india, Aug 27, 2010 IP