1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I'm going to buy forum software, please suggest one out of these

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by archc, Oct 20, 2012.

I have three choices to chose from.
    1. vBulletin
    2. Xenforo
    3. IPB

Please suggest the best forum out of these in connection with below criteria:

1. My plan is to create a forum which I may sell in future (I would not sell but there are chances, so I need to make sure license is transferable).
    2. Easy to Manage
    3. Cost effective (Please tell me the cost)
    4. What are the benefit of software which you suggest
    5. If different free themes are available for the software you gonna recommend.
    6. There should not be any recurring charges (I want paid once for lifetime)

I feel (I'm not into forum, I did some research only for few hours) IPB is good.

Thanks in advance
    Archc

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
    archc, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  2. Wulkanen

Wulkanen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think IPB and Vbulletin are subscription based if you want the newest updates for them.

Wulkanen, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  3. Zoti Media Group

Zoti Media Group Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    1. vBulletin dude. The best one.

Zoti Media Group, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  4. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've heard so much about xenforo being the easy to manage and works good because of its features. A lot of forum owners suggest using it.

etc, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  5. archc

archc Banned

Best Answers:
    GUYS,

When you reply to this thread, please answer my 6 questions. I'm unable to decide unless these questions are answered.

archc, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  6. ddmmh

ddmmh Peon

Best Answers:
    I cant answer all your questions exactly how you want but ive been running XenForo for 2 years, hands down the best and ive tried them all. Dont forget that XenForo is made by ex-developers of Vbulletin. Xenforo is basically what Vbulletin is. Saying that, IPB is also good. IPB is more developed because its been around longer but XenForo is definatly going to win the race in the long run.

ddmmh, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  7. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'd stay away from IPB (I'm not fond of it) and you might stay away from xenforo until the lawsuit is settled.
    I'd check out vbulletin 4 if you're after a paid script, and phpbb, or mybb if you want a free option.

Brandon Sheley, Oct 22, 2012 IP
  8. hellreturn

hellreturn Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Xenforo. They will win case sooner or later.

hellreturn, Oct 22, 2012 IP
  9. archc

archc Banned

Best Answers:
    stop spoiling this thread please. You guys (new comers) are posting useless answers to increase post counts.

archc, Oct 22, 2012 IP
  10. hellreturn

hellreturn Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Stop asking questions if you don't like to hear the answers.

U posted the criteria and I replied according to it. Just by making few hundreds of post it doesn't make you ubercool when in fact you are asking for help/suggestions.

That being said I don't care for post count since by making posts I don't make dollars or I don't promote my website or forums through my signature. So take it easy.

hellreturn, Oct 23, 2012 IP
  11. archc

archc Banned

Best Answers:
    Ofcourse you are increasing post counts as there are certain features that you can't use unless you have required posts.

Yes you are not promoting any site, not using anything in signature cuz you aren't allowed to !
    Anybody from my post count will know my reliability here which is absurd in your case. Anybody who is master in SEO would certainly has lack of web development knowledge so I'm asking, you make no sense.

You really wanted to help you would have read my post carefully and reply accordingly. I requested two time to answer my 6 questions when anyone posts any reply. You didn't do that which clearly show you are increasing post count.

Any further comment would be ignored. Keep posting whatever you want.
    Thanks

archc, Oct 23, 2012 IP
  12. Austech

Austech Member

Best Answers:
    VBulletin is the best forum software by far in my opinion. I have used VBulletin literally ever since it came out, before that I used UBB. I have been an adminstrator using VBulletin software for over 10 years. I dont like the look or feel of IPB and wouldnt trust Xenforo to last the distance......thats nothing against their software, more a reflection of the legal action being taken against them.

There are always going to be recurring charges on almost any paid for forum software. Most of your numbered questions could be answered yourself by looking at the company websites (easily found with a Google search).

vbinspired.com has some nice free themes and just about anything you ever need is available for free at vbulletin.org. We are currently updating from VBulletin 3.8 to VB 4.2 and it would be a real pain if it wasnt for the resources at vbulletin.org

Austech, Oct 23, 2012 IP
  13. GeeOne

GeeOne Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My suggestion is VB

G!

GeeOne, Oct 24, 2012 IP
  14. hellreturn

hellreturn Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I just came to this forums by following digitalpoint on xenforo forums. More or less it's you who are promoting your services through signature not me.

Hack, any mod can reset my post count to zero or always keep it at zero, I could care less. More or less most of your questions could be easily answered if you yourself did some investigation.

It's common sense to ask directly to sales team from whom you are purchasing license so you get perfect/valid answer. Each one aka vB, Xenforo and IPB has pre sale question forum. More or less, I find it amusing that you are claiming yourself genuine and regular user and yet, you can't even see or search on this forums that people put vB, IPB and Xenforo licenses on sale here. What does that mean? They are transferable but then again always better to make sure with official company sales team.

You can transfer IPB license for 20$ charge and XF license are only transferable once, afaik.

Both XF and IPB are easy to manage. But then again vB, Xenforo or IPB provides demo forum so you can check the features and use admin CP yourself before purchasing.

Seriously? Is that a really question? vB, Xenforo and IPB all have pricing listed on their website.

Benefits? You should pick the software based on your needs and requirements. You never mentioned what kind of forums you are building i.e. what would be type of it's use and what you are planning to do with it.

Free themes? You can easily check each forums community and what kind of skins they provide.

Again always better to ask the company directly rather then depending on answers through general users and most of the pricing info is listed on all commercial forum selling websites if you bothered to look at yourself.

I felt your questions where basic and since you are "keyword research/VA" as per your signature, I thought you can do simple basic research yourself so I just replied directly which forum is good in near future but I guess that's not the case here.

If I just wanted to increase post count, I would had said "Xenforo is good" but in fact I also mentioned "That Xenforo will win lawsuit sooner or later" because that's what most people are worry about.

Now please stop acting like a kid who likes to show off his few hundred post counts.

archc, I guess GeeOne is also increasing his post count because his answer is also similar like mine. He suggested vB and I suggested Xenforo. :p

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    hellreturn, Oct 24, 2012 IP
  15. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You also posted opinion, and not fact..
    So I see why the OP asked to remove the trash from the thread ;)

Brandon Sheley, Oct 25, 2012 IP
  16. hellreturn

hellreturn Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Where did I said I posted the fact? LOL May be you need to learn to read the post :)

Everyone likes different forum according their choice. He asked for the opinion and not the fact and hence everyone posted their opinion. :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    hellreturn, Oct 25, 2012 IP
  17. Lazybuttons

Lazybuttons Active Member

Best Answers:
    The requirements from the OP are pretty unspecific. So with that almost all the replies in this thread are vague or "I like so and so best."

All three have demos to try. Try them (although I hear the XenForo one is offline). I also think you should look around the support forums and free skins yourself.

Lazybuttons, Oct 26, 2012 IP
  18. SolidShellSecurity

SolidShellSecurity Banned

Best Answers:
    IPB. It really is better then them all.

SolidShellSecurity, Oct 26, 2012 IP
  19. nadlerz

nadlerz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    XenForo 1. My plan is to create a forum which I may sell in future (I would not sell but there are chances, so I need to make sure license is transferable). Yes2. Easy to ManageYes, t's Great!3. Cost effective (Please tell me the cost)$ 149 USD4. What are the benefit of software which you suggestSEO, User Friendly, Easy Administration, NO EXPLOIT5. If different free themes are available for the software you gonna recommend.Flexile6. There should not be any recurring charges (I want paid once for lifetime)I guess, $ 50 USD every year, not so sure.

nadlerz, Nov 1, 2012 IP
  20. Mick2012

Mick2012 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If I were you, I'd go for IPB. It's definitely worth it in the long run. The license is a great investment too.

Mick2012, Nov 1, 2012 IP