1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I'm getting a job at a sales office, check this out

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by vip-ip, Nov 27, 2010.

Hello fellow DPers,

I was offered a job at my University's town newspaper. I was asked to sell advertising in the newspaper. The newspaper comes out daily, and I would only have to work about 15 hours a week. They start you off with 150 accounts, and you work your way up from there at 9% commission. No base. I'm a college student and need some money, so I wanted to ask if anyone's ever sold advertising for a print agency like a newspaper or a magazine, and what experiences you've had with it.

Here's the copywriting bit, hence why I posted in this section. Have you ever had to "sell" yourself? Not in a dirty way, of course. I wanted to tell you all a bit about my interesting interview. It was a set of questions as usual, but at the end, I was asked to do a little homework assignment that I've never done before. The task was to create an ad using my skills and positive attributes in order to "SELL" myself to the newspaper ads manager who was hiring me. The idea was that if I was hired, I would talk to many small brick and mortars without huge budgets, so it would be necessary to create ads every once in a while on-the-spot, to help sign the deal with a prospect. The manager wanted to see what I can come up with, and here it is: smiles.jpg . She said it could be any product, be it toothpaste or airplanes or gravel - anything goes. The point is also to make my interview more memorable. What do you think?

Best Regards,
    vip-ip ...

P.S.: needless to say, I'll have to smile a LOT at my follow-up interview ;)

vip-ip, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  2. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Being a copywriter goes hand in hand with being a salesman. You can't be one without the other.

Also, our websites are our sales pages. WE are the product we have to sell to potential clients, customers.

I like your sample.

"Compliments any glasses or contacts" and "Looks amazing with long OR short hair" is cute, different, edgy, creative.

Here's a very edgy site you may want to look at: http://www.sellsell.co.uk/

Though it gets annoying rather quickly. heh heh

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    Perry Rose, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  3. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Clever idea. Hope you get the job.

YMC, Nov 27, 2010 IP